PDA

View Full Version : Old scar has become raised and swollen... Ideas?

Threedaydream
Sep. 22, 2009, 12:16 AM
My horse sliced the front of his hind cannon about a year ago. The laceration was about an inch and a half long and was (I think?) full thickness of the skin, or close to it. It didn't hurt any of the leg structures, we sutured it up and moved on. The area was raised for a while and slowly over time flattened out until it was almost back to normal, with just a little bit of scar tissue under the skin (hair completely grown back, no proud flesh, etc). And it remained that way until approximately a month ago. Over the course of a day or two it went back to its previous size and is now raised and swollen again directly along the line of the scar. There is no heat or swelling of the rest of the leg (other than his usual stocking up, this horse has the filling/swelling reflexes of a baloon!) and no heat over the bump.
I tried sweating it and that did pretty much nothing. I've been kind of waiting to see if it would just go away again like it did the firt time because I thought he must have banged it on something.

Any ideas as to why this would have happened or how to get rid of it?
Thank you!

Threedaydream
Sep. 22, 2009, 10:54 PM
anyone have experience w/ this??

MrWinston
Sep. 22, 2009, 11:01 PM
Old scar that repeatedly became lymphangytis (sp?). It's a way in for bacteria. The skin appears to be healed but it's vulnerable.Our case did not end well, even though we were on it every day with wraps and topicals. I hope that you can do better. The summer months were the dangerous times.

goeslikestink
Sep. 23, 2009, 03:16 AM
My horse sliced the front of his hind cannon about a year ago. The laceration was about an inch and a half long and was (I think?) full thickness of the skin, or close to it. It didn't hurt any of the leg structures, we sutured it up and moved on. The area was raised for a while and slowly over time flattened out until it was almost back to normal, with just a little bit of scar tissue under the skin (hair completely grown back, no proud flesh, etc). And it remained that way until approximately a month ago. Over the course of a day or two it went back to its previous size and is now raised and swollen again directly along the line of the scar. There is no heat or swelling of the rest of the leg (other than his usual stocking up, this horse has the filling/swelling reflexes of a baloon!) and no heat over the bump.
I tried sweating it and that did pretty much nothing. I've been kind of waiting to see if it would just go away again like it did the firt time because I thought he must have banged it on something.

Any ideas as to why this would have happened or how to get rid of it?
Thank you!

put baby cream on and massage the leg daily as its sound like old scab tissue that hasnt been clean off this will soften the area so you can see what going on underneath
if all clean -- then go get some kayolin poultice which a poultice you dont need a bandage for appply hot as if any infection will draw it out do that day time wash off then apply mud as naf naf clay mud - mud is natural and agin no bandages needed
apply that in evening -- so you dong hot and cold poulticing then after 2 days
do mud only day and night and wash it off - mub tightens when dry and so does kayolin

hopefully after a week you should have a good flat leg-- if the wound and tissue is soft you should be aable to reduce the size hard then it own reduce in size or might a tad

Threedaydream
Sep. 23, 2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the advice goes, the leg doesn't have an open wound... it's healed with hair grown back and everything, would you still suggest the same protocol?

Mr. Winston, sorry could you explain more about what happened in your situation... I really hope this isn't serious!

MrWinston
Sep. 23, 2009, 11:50 AM
The horse had an old "rope" burn type of scar on the back of a hind pastern. It appeared to be healed and was slightly raised with some scar tissue. In the wet summer months it got inflamed from contact with moisture like horses when they get scratches. The horse started having boughts of lymphangitis. Even though we used every means to keep it dry and wrapped him every night (he lived inside with some hours of turnout every day), the swelling became chronic from damage to his circulation.

goeslikestink
Sep. 24, 2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the advice goes, the leg doesn't have an open wound... it's healed with hair grown back and everything, would you still suggest the same protocol?

Mr. Winston, sorry could you explain more about what happened in your situation... I really hope this isn't serious!

yeap becuase you can make it smaller till its thoroughly clean- and as its not that old you might be lucky enough to reduce it a tad if softish