PDA

View Full Version : I try to be a nice show manager

MyGiantPony
Sep. 21, 2009, 04:20 PM
REALLY I try to be nice, patient, encouraging...don't often get too many truly stupid questions, but for the last 2 days, 2 little girls have been blowing my phone up.

Questions include but aren't limited to:

What so you have to wear for the cross rails class? What about the hunter over 2' class? What's all day pleasure? Is it on trails? Is there galloping? What's western pleasure? Is it on trails? Is there galloping?

I just ignored yet another call from one of them. Next time, I'm going to demand to speak to a parent. (I remember how clueless my mom was, so I try to speak directly to the rider...but these kids can't possibly be more clueless then their parents.)

Sigh.

vxf111
Sep. 21, 2009, 04:39 PM
With these types of riders... MORE DETAIL in the prize list is better.

Around here, it's the opposite. The folks who run the shows aren't very knowledgeable. So they put out a "prize list" with no descriptions at all-- just like this...

1. Working Hunter Over Fences
2. Working Hunter Hack
3. Green Hunter Over Fences
4. Green Hunter Hack
5. English Pleasure Bridle Path Hack
6. English Cross Country Pleasure
7. Enlish Pleasure Stake

No detail about: (1) who is eligible (no pros in the pleasure? who knows?); (2) how big the fences are (what is working? What is green? It varies from show to show!); and what the classes MEAN (what is the difference between bridle path hack and cross country? Are we going to be asked to DO anything differently? Are the horses being judged on some different criteria in the two classes? What is the stakes class? Is it jumping? Payout class on the flat? How many have to enter for it to run?)

When in doubt, more info is better. Even if you have a little section in the prize list just taking generally about attire (what is considered "schooling attire" for a Chester County "schooling" show is quite different from what was considered "schooling attire" at the BJC shows in Georgia, for example). And lots of detail for class descriptions, including what the judge may ask for, what the class is being pinned on, how big the fences are, whether trotting corners counts off, who is eligible, what the class is aimed for.... all that will help a LOT.

It takes all types ;)

vxf111
Sep. 21, 2009, 04:44 PM
I'm looking at your flyer right now and I would have to call to ask questions. What is All Day pleasure? Beginner X-rails. Are we talking once around the outside or a real course of crossrails? What is a beginner? How is that determined? Any restrictions on the lows, modifides, workings? Anyone and any horse can enter? None of your classes are divided pro/ammy? Ammy adults have to show against the pros in everything? Seems like it from the prize list. Are the hacks at all related to the o/f hunter classes?

Maybe these questions are obvious if you regularly show at these schooling shows but what about to someone who picks up the prize list for the first time? Because someone will... like those girls who keep chewing your ear off!

vxf111
Sep. 21, 2009, 04:51 PM
And now I seriously want to know... what the heck *IS* all day pleasure?! LOL

MyGiantPony
Sep. 21, 2009, 04:55 PM
I'll take your comments under advisement for next year, but we don't get lots of pros - our clientelle is mostly local kids - lots of 4H kids, a few adults who show for fun, a handful of QH/breed folks.

All season, I think there have been 2 pros showing, and they are from the same barn that brings a bunch of 4H kids.

A few years ago, I tried to run the fall show with divisions - 2 o/f classes with a hack. It completely bombed. So as much as I want to run things like a rated show, our clientelle just doesn't support that - at least with me designing the courses, they are jumping the same stuff they'd find at a rated show.

But yeah, I see where we'd need more descriptions...space on one sheet of paper is tough, though...but since we aren't printing the release on the opposite side anymore, I can use that space next year...

MyGiantPony
Sep. 21, 2009, 04:56 PM

It's walk trot or walk jog...it's a QH show thing...our membership is pretty heavily weighted with QH folks. ;)

vxf111
Sep. 21, 2009, 05:00 PM
I go to shows like this too. :) I am going to one this weekend, as a matter of fact. There is one local hunter/jumper trainer who shows at rated shows (small ones). She always likes to go in the Adult classes and beat her adult students schooling an uber fancy equitation horse for its skittish rider to later take in the groundpoles classes. Klassy! But it takes all types.

I showed APHA for years. I had never heard of "All Day Pleasure." If you don't spell out what that is, people are going to ask. Not everyone shows regularly, you're going to get people sans trainer who are coming out for their very first show. They're not going to know. They're not trying to be rude, they just want to be prepared. I don't want to pre-enter myself in a class with something I am not prepared to do. And I don't want to show up and discover I missed the classes I should have been in because I guessed wrong about the classes.

This weekend I'll be doing "Cross Country English Pleasure," "Bridle Path English Pleasure Hack" and "English Pleasure on the Flat." Can you tell me what those classes are? The differences? What can/can't be asked for? Are you supposed to go more forward in one (cross country) and slower in another (bridle path). Rhetorical questions here-- because I don't even think the people who came up with the prize list know what the differences are. I sure as HECK don't know and I've been going to these local shows for years. It seems to depend entirely on the judge, how late the show is running, whether one horse is obviously nicer than the rest, if the judge is exhausted by the time these classes roll around, how creative the judge is, etc. It would go a LONG WAY to have some clarity in the prize list.

AFFMom
Sep. 21, 2009, 05:29 PM
MGP - We were thinking about bringing a few horses to your show on Sunday, including a few young ones. The show grounds look lovely.

Are there any restrictions for professionals? Do you allow schooling prior to the start of the show? Thanks!

Mozart
Sep. 21, 2009, 05:29 PM

Were you hoping to sign up? :lol:

lesyl
Sep. 21, 2009, 05:35 PM
It's walk trot or walk jog...it's a QH show thing...our membership is pretty heavily weighted with QH folks. ;)
I had come up with something completely different :lol:

Even though I am not in your area, thanks for putting on a show. I know they are hard work and take way more time than the $$ earned.

vxf111
Sep. 21, 2009, 05:45 PM
Were you hoping to sign up? :lol:

Depends on the class specs :)

I ask because we are in the midst of planning a local schooling show and I think I see myself being in charge of the prizelist and want to make sure this is done right.

Also because I have no idea what that means and I figure I am bound to see it sooner or later on a prize list without class specs in my area. Might as well start canvassing now to start trying to figure out what it might mean.:) consensus generally rules.

vxf111
Sep. 21, 2009, 06:07 PM
P.s.- it is not easy to host a show and good on you for doing it. One way to handle class descriptions might be to put them on the website and on the prizelist direct folks there for the details?!

ilmjumper
Sep. 21, 2009, 07:11 PM
I'm just guessing, but around here an All Day Pleasure class, means horses will be judged on what a pleasure they look like they'd be to ride all day long...or kind of like a Ranch Horse class? In other words, super easy, long reins, pleasant expressions, ears forward, not too "showy" (not super slow WP horses, or with gaited horses, no super fancy big stepping horses) natural headsets, ect.

I'm helping a youth put on a Hunter Derby as part of her Senior Project so I'm prepping for all the calls and questions myself! Good luck with your show!

MyGiantPony
Sep. 22, 2009, 09:18 AM
MGP - We were thinking about bringing a few horses to your show on Sunday, including a few young ones. The show grounds look lovely.

Are there any restrictions for professionals? Do you allow schooling prior to the start of the show? Thanks!

No pros in the beginner or junior classes, but other than that, it's an open show.

Please be sure to say hi if you come - I'll be the crazy lady running around like the proverbial headless chicken! :lol:

If y

MyGiantPony
Sep. 22, 2009, 09:19 AM

No pros in the beginner or junior classes, but other than that, it's an open show.

Please be sure to say hi if you come - I'll be the crazy lady running around like the proverbial headless chicken! :lol:

If you're bringing hunters, you love the courses - we really go all out to make them as nice as possible for the Fall show!

OK, that was weird - must have posted without meaning to...yes, we allow schooling in the AM and during the lunch break.

katarine
Sep. 22, 2009, 09:22 AM
I've never heard of some of those classes, so yeah, I'd be bugging you.

In the future, put the course descriptions on the website and refer peeps to it on the printed out show flier. Shows here like this refer to an open-horse-show association rule book, so you have a place to reference for the ins and outs. All day pleasure, especially caught my eye lol

MyGiantPony
Sep. 22, 2009, 09:27 AM
And one other comment...

Got another call last night from another child asking the exact same questions.

Got an email from our web admin, and she got a bunch of emails with the exact same questions.

I think these children are spamming us...I've been running these shows for years and have never been asked "what do you wear for western pleasure" and "is there galloping in the pleasure classes" - much less asked by 6 different people in the span of a few days.

Hasn't school started - shouldn't these kids be too busy to play these games?

tidy rabbit
Sep. 22, 2009, 09:42 AM
I go to shows like this too. :) I am going to one this weekend, as a matter of fact. There is one local hunter/jumper trainer who shows at rated shows (small ones). She always likes to go in the Adult classes and beat her adult students schooling an uber fancy equitation horse for its skittish rider to later take in the groundpoles classes. Klassy! But it takes all types.

That's awesome. LOL. :lol:

vxf111
Sep. 22, 2009, 10:13 AM
That's awesome. LOL. :lol:

We call her "the cougar." In addition to being Klassy-- she's a colorful lady. :)

Mel0309
Sep. 22, 2009, 10:26 AM

I have shown AQHA, PHBA (palomino), and 4H and have never heard of "All Day Pleasure" - so I too may be giving you a phone call if I were coming to your show.

MyGiantPony
Sep. 22, 2009, 10:34 AM
I have shown AQHA, PHBA (palomino), and 4H and have never heard of "All Day Pleasure" - so I too may be giving you a phone call if I were coming to your show.

Oh - could it be a regional thing? The classes are common here at breed shows.

Giddy-up
Sep. 22, 2009, 11:06 AM
Have you asked the kids to check with their trainers? I agree a parent or trainer intervention is perhaps needed.

I worked in-gate at a unrated show last month. Had over 100 trips of long & short stirrup PLUS about 100 trips of the beginner child then too. Little packs of kids (the same kids) kept coming every 5-10 minutes to ask "how much longer?". I didn't want to be mean cause I know they are excited, but seriously! I finally started telling them things like "come back in 2 hours to check" just so I could keep my gate moving & not have a crowd of them hovering. Not to mention their eyes glaze over & they don't listen to the answer anyways so 5 minutes later they are asking me the same thing again.

RugBug
Sep. 22, 2009, 12:35 PM
Little packs of kids (the same kids) kept coming every 5-10 minutes to ask "how much longer?".

I just ran my last schooling show of the year on Sunday...I'm breathing a sigh of relief right now. While I like putting the shows on, all the questions tire my 'figure it out yourself' personality out. :winkgrin: :lol:

The "how much longer" or when will "XXX class start" are the worst for me. I'll tell people how many horses are in a division and how many divisions there are before their's, but THEY can do the math and estimate the time they should be on and ready. I did have one person ask BEFORE the show, because she had Sunday morning committments, but my gross estimate based on the last show I ran and the pre-entries I had was WAY off (I told her about 2 hours earlier than it turned out).

Thankfully, my premium (you guys back east call it a prize list) is pretty self explanatory, so I don't get a ton of questions on what a class means, etc. All divisions are defined. Pros can compete in anything if they meet the qualifications (all rules are written as horse/rider combinations). If not, they can school for a reduced entry fee. That option keeps sandbaggers out, for the most part.