PDA

View Full Version : New saddle and it has rained -- help what should I do??

sweetpea
Sep. 21, 2009, 12:08 PM
I just got a Richard Castelow saddle and it got rianed on when I was showing ,
I have cleaned it and oiled it since but some spots look faded .
Please tell me how do you take care of your taking after it rains??

jmvwiv
Sep. 21, 2009, 12:51 PM
I take a bucket of water and sponge saturate the entire saddle. That way you dont have any spots. Let it dry a bit and get really good conditioner on it. Keep on top of conditioning it.

JA
Sep. 21, 2009, 01:20 PM
DO NOT saturate the entire saddle under any circumstances! All you will be doing by saturating it is removing more oils from the leather. If there are lighter spots after you have oiled it just re-oil those spots. You can also condition it with something like Aiken, the Devoucoux, CWD or Antares grease etc.

You could also call Richard to see what he recommends

2 tbs
Sep. 21, 2009, 01:24 PM
There is nothing wrong with getting a saddle wet. It's leather, not sugar. If you have spots, getting it all wet should even out those spots. I wouldn't dunk it in a bucket but I wouldn't hesitate to clean it with excess water in the sponge. Then, after it dries a bit, condition it-work the conditioner in well. Then, once that's soaked in, oil it and you should be ok.

Of course, calling Richard Castelow is a wise option also.

Gideon
Sep. 21, 2009, 03:37 PM
Oil it.:D

Lori
Sep. 21, 2009, 04:41 PM
When it rains on a saddle let it dry naturally. Then you can start cleaning it as usual and the spots will fade away.
I have a County Stabilizer and this happened a couple of times accidentally. It looked like a dapple saddle for a bit, but with regular care, it returned to normal.

dogchushu
Sep. 21, 2009, 08:47 PM
Rain shouldn't kill a saddle.

Mine has been rained on. It ended up just fine after a couple cleanings. Not the first one (still had spots). But regular cleaning and conditioning over time and the spots went away.

pandasgirl
Sep. 23, 2009, 07:54 AM
I have an Antares so its really soft leather. It gets super spotty and if the spots don't come out on the first conditioning, I use a wet sponge all over and then condition once heavily, sometimes twice with Leather Balm/Lederbalsam/Devoucoux Balsam.

Lou-Lou
Sep. 23, 2009, 08:52 AM
I had a saddle that got drenched in an all-day downpour. I waited until it dried (took over 24 hours) and then cleaned and oiled it.

Dispatcher
Sep. 23, 2009, 08:56 AM
Just condition it.

I hope new saddles aren't THAT fragile that rain would ruin it. What would you do if you ever went fox hunting and it rained?!!

sweetpea
Sep. 23, 2009, 07:10 PM
It looks so pretty now!!! I just was worried cause I have waited soooooo long to do a richard castelow saddle. Thanks for all the advice.

elv21love
Sep. 23, 2009, 07:29 PM
yup, my saddle gets wet all the time in the rain when im showing. i let it dry and then put cwd cream stuff on it (that came with my saddle) and sometimes oil and its usually back to the normal color after 1-2 uses.

superpony123
Sep. 23, 2009, 10:24 PM
it should be fine. i've even been told it's best to ride in a new (new as in braand new, not a new used saddle) saddle in the rain to break it in! (kind of like the bathtub method for tall boots)

it's leather, not sugar, as someone else said. no, you don't want to get it wet on a regular basis, but any good quality leather should be able to hold up. my saddle has been caught in downpours at horse shows plenty of times. i clean it, condition it, and put it in front of a fan to dry. remember you do not want to let it dry outside on a humid day--it won't totally dry, and you're definitely going to get some mold.