PDA

View Full Version : Flood emergency in Atlanta - where to move horses???

GGsuperpony
Sep. 21, 2009, 11:51 AM
A good friend of mine keeps her six horses on flood plain land. We anticipated a flood several days ago, so we temporarily moved her horses to a friend's "backyard" (nice field, fenced, just not large enough for six), thinking her flood plain may get several inches of water but would dry out by early this week. Unfortunately, things have gotten MUCH worse, not better.

As of right now, her nice field and barn are under six feet of water. All her fencing is destroyed, or at least a large part of it (we can't see the 4' fencing because the water is over it, but we CAN see posts with concrete bases washed up in debris piles and other posts and boards floating around). Her barn is nearly completely submerged; all she can see is two feet of wall and the roof.

Obviously, she cannot bring her horses home today as she was hoping to do, since friend's field is getting awfully muddy and horses already had to be moved down the street to another friend's field. Unfortunately, that friend is the end of the line; we know no one else with room for six more.

The barn where I board has very strict rules about the maximum number of horses, and we are already two over because of other flood-displaced horses. I cannot imagine our having room for six more, but I will definitely ask the owner. Barring that, we are in big trouble because this lady makes her living teaching lessons. She cannot do that at her property now. All her fencing is gone, and her jumps are presumably washed away. It may be weeks or even months before she can.

If anyone knows of places anywhere near Decatur, Georgia, that could take in six horses, even in a field, that would be a start. If anyone has any ideas AT ALL that could help, please, please post them. We are literally treading water here and desperate to find a place for her horses. Secondary is a place where she can teach using said horses so she can continue to earn money to feed them (and herself!). All ideas are welcome. Thanks so much, everyone!

DMK
Sep. 21, 2009, 11:54 AM
i wonder if conyers or wills park would be willing to accept flood-displaced horses?

Equibrit
Sep. 21, 2009, 12:08 PM
The GA department of Agriculture have a list of emergency shelters for horses in disasters; http://agr.georgia.gov/vgn/images/portal/cit_1210/63/54/148498187Stables%20Housing%20Equine%20in%20Disaste r%209-9-09.pdf

JinxyFish313
Sep. 21, 2009, 12:19 PM
Insurance?

carolinagirl191
Sep. 21, 2009, 12:21 PM
And I was complaining about a broken manure spreader. . .
Jingles to all who are truly suffering in this weather. May you find shelter and solace. I would think that Ga, SC NC, all southern agriculturally based states would have some sort of "plan" in place through the extension service.
Good Luck

magmir
Sep. 21, 2009, 12:33 PM
Oh no - that is really really awful. Is Little Creek not an option?

Green Acres
Sep. 21, 2009, 12:35 PM
i wonder if conyers or wills park would be willing to accept flood-displaced horses?

Excellent suggestion!!!

missamandarose
Sep. 21, 2009, 01:08 PM
Huntclff Eq is evacuating, as they sit right on the Hooch (I just posted a call for help in off course). They are moving to Wills Park, so I am sure it is an option to those who need.

My trainer also said she can offer a couple of stalls. We are in the Canton/Milton area of Cherokee County.

DMK
Sep. 21, 2009, 01:11 PM
i'm amazed huntcliff made it this long, i thought they'd be the first to go!

missamandarose
Sep. 21, 2009, 01:23 PM
I don't know how they stay there period... though we have so many more months of drought.

Anyhow, now its a scramble to get everyone moved... there's a break in the rain now but a LOVELY band moving in from Alabama soon (on the radar its covering the northern half of the state.. eek). Hoepfully they can make good progress before that rolls along.

for info on helping if you can, please see the thread i posted on Off Course:

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=224825

giddybiddy
Sep. 21, 2009, 01:24 PM
wow i saw the footage on the news...it's insane! good luck to everyone, and i hope all the horses and people are safe!

arbor hill
Sep. 21, 2009, 01:24 PM
Georgia International Horse Park in Conyers, GA will take layover horses in emergency situations. That may be closer for you than Will Park if you're in Decatur. Here's the contact info: www.georgiahorsepark.com or 770-860-4190 . Best of luck, hope it all works out well for you.

http://www.arborhillfarmllc.com

vxf111
Sep. 21, 2009, 01:25 PM
I thought little creek was closed for "remodeling." At any rate, that would be the last place I'd try to go. That creek ain't little and the reason that land never got developed is because its in a flood plain.

Going to wills or even better conyers sounds like a good idea. Between the both, that's a lot of stalls.

How awful!

Quinn
Sep. 21, 2009, 01:54 PM
Hoping all are safe and sound and DRY. Take good care.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

peco
Sep. 21, 2009, 02:09 PM
pm me if someone needs a place a little more long term! we have a pasture that could be available longer than some of the show facilities but are further away!

GGsuperpony
Sep. 21, 2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks SO much for the Conyers/Wills/emergency list suggestions. I am checking those out.

I learned later this morning that the emergency shelter we found also flooded this morning. The horses aren't hurt, just tired and starting to get hungry because their hay and grain washed away (even at their "home" barn, all the hay is completely gone - multiple round bales, $700 worth, gone without a trace). We are working on replacing it. There was a bag or two of grain stored inside the house (which fortunately survived) so they are having that for breakfast. Still, until we move them again they have no dry place to sleep or eat.

Our second emergency place - where my other horse is - is also at risk, although the risk is lower. But until the water recedes there, it's not safe to bring any more horses (the barn is away from all flooding but there are no empty stalls, and if the flood gets worse, all horses will need stalls).

A friend of a friend has offered use of her pasture which is thankfully NOT in a flood plain and should be at no risk. If this ends soon we'll be okay there for a few days, although the field is not big enough for four horses to stay long.

The good news is we HAVE found a good permanent place (too flooded for more horses now, but no repairs needed so once flooding resolves we can bring horses there) to use until we can fix the barn and the fencing. So all we have to do is get the emergency situation resolved and we will be okay - thank goodness for that!

Anyway, I really appreciate all the suggestions. We are on the right track now but still in trouble until we actually get the horses somewhere safe. Wish us luck.

jetsmom
Sep. 21, 2009, 02:23 PM
i'm amazed huntcliff made it this long, i thought they'd be the first to go!

I remember Huntcliff flooding severely in 1980/81. Seems strange that it still is a problem.

DMK
Sep. 21, 2009, 03:03 PM
I remember Huntcliff flooding severely in 1980/81. Seems strange that it still is a problem.

it's still sitting on the banks of the hooch! ;)

vxf111
Sep. 21, 2009, 03:07 PM
I had no idea it had gotten this bad. Jingles for everyone in the greater Atlanta area. How bad are the roads? I am wondering if it makes sense to go father just to get further upland? Or if the roads are now not safe enough to make that a viable option. Hopefully Conyers and Wills will be able to house all the horses flooded out of their barns, there are a LOT of stalls there.

Madison
Sep. 21, 2009, 03:27 PM
I had no idea it had gotten this bad. Jingles for everyone in the greater Atlanta area. How bad are the roads? I am wondering if it makes sense to go father just to get further upland? Or if the roads are now not safe enough to make that a viable option. Hopefully Conyers and Wills will be able to house all the horses flooded out of their barns, there are a LOT of stalls there.

The roads are hit or miss depending on where you are - this morning 85 was closed both northbound and southbound at 285, and parts of 75 were closed. 78 was closed due to water and possibly a mudslide in one section! but intown roads were fine. So I think it depends on where you are - last night's storms were really bad, and the new band of rain moved in over the last 30-45 minutes, so I hope they have gotten the horses that needed evacuation out of harm's way because more rain has arrived!

DMK
Sep. 21, 2009, 03:57 PM
yes, and now we are getting tons of downed trees taking out powerlines. unfortunately the drought killed/weakened so many, but they are still standing, getting waterlogged (pun intended) and crashing down. yikes!

GGsuperpony
Sep. 21, 2009, 04:13 PM
Unfortunately, there are four horses still stranded in a front yard, and it is now too late to move them; the roads are too bad. We will likely be camping with them tonight and, if worst comes to worst, leading them to higher ground by hand.

Please, if anyone nearby has hay, may we buy a few bales? We have nothing to feed these horses except two bags of grain - everything else washed away last night, and all feed stores we know of are out or closed today. Can y'all help me track down some hay? We are getting desperate.

Thanks, everyone. I thought we had a good emergency plan in place but clearly it needs rethinking.

eqrider1234
Sep. 21, 2009, 04:19 PM
Oh man this must be so scary for you! Even down in florida when we had Hurricane Charley I dont remember it ever being that bad! Are there any feedstores you can drive to even if you have to drive an hour or so to get there or is driving not an option at all? Good luck and keep us updated!

Green Acres
Unfortunately, there are four horses still stranded in a front yard, and it is now too late to move them; the roads are too bad. We will likely be camping with them tonight and, if worst comes to worst, leading them to higher ground by hand.

Please, if anyone nearby has hay, may we buy a few bales? We have nothing to feed these horses except two bags of grain - everything else washed away last night, and all feed stores we know of are out or closed today. Can y'all help me track down some hay? We are getting desperate.

Thanks, everyone. I thought we had a good emergency plan in place but clearly it needs rethinking.

Where are you located? Was it around Decatur?

Horsetown in Snellville should have hay and possibly feed. Is that too far from you? There are stores in Loganville as well.

magmir

Where are you guys right now?

GGsuperpony
Sep. 21, 2009, 04:38 PM
Well, I am definitely willing and hopefully able to drive some. I have had others making phone calls and no one has found hay for us yet, but I am not sure where they called so far. I could probably find a way to Loganville or Snellville as long as the roads are passable?

Apparently at the safer barn (where the two horses we already moved are, and where my other horse is) the water is rising much more slowly now. It is only 3 feet below the level of the barn, but it has only gone up 2" in the past hour, as opposed to the 8" it rose each hour before. The barn owner is out laying markers and making a game plan in case they need to evacuate. Fortunately, much of the property is higher and the whole thing is fenced; if worst comes to worst we can close the gate and let them hang out by the house. So no worries there at all unless a flood comes faster than they can turn the horses out. It doesn't look like that will happen.

It does look like I may spend a long night in the rain though! Small price to pay to save my girl Gigi... I will make sure we try Horsetown out east of town if we haven't already. Thanks for the suggestions, y'all!

spmoonie
Sep. 21, 2009, 08:10 PM

:yes::yes: That would be the first place I would check.

cloudyandcallie
Sep. 21, 2009, 08:12 PM
The show grounds, lots of stalls, at Wills Park just north of Roswell. Turn left at the tack store off of roswell road/alpharetta highway.

JanM
Sep. 21, 2009, 08:40 PM
I would move the horses to the emergency places now. There is more rain coming from Alabama and if the water rises too quickly you may not be able to leave fast enough. Better to be safe than sorry.

Gnalli
Sep. 21, 2009, 08:54 PM
I am not in Decatur, and don't have stalls, but I would let y'all share my pasture if you need to. I have it where I can section it off by closing a gate. It is not fancy, but it is on high ground if you can get here. PM me if you need to.

relocatedTXjumpr
Sep. 21, 2009, 09:44 PM
I have a truck and trailer ready to roll if needed...Im about 45 minutes north of Canton.

I cant offer any stalls but I can offer transport.

peco
Sep. 21, 2009, 09:48 PM
i do have pasture i am an hour and a half north of canton but if someone needs somewhere while they are rebuilding even not just right now feel free to pm me. we have over 50 acres not occupied. i know rebuilding will take a while in addition to the immediate danger!

MissKatie
Sep. 21, 2009, 09:49 PM
We just moved ours to Wills Park. Barn under water!!!!! Everything gone! HORSES SAFE THOUGH!

jumpsnake
Sep. 21, 2009, 09:53 PM
Having gone through floods with other types of animals, I sympathize with you all.
Jingles for receding water!

twofatponies
Sep. 21, 2009, 10:03 PM
Jingles for all of you! What a scary mess.

Jetiki
Sep. 21, 2009, 10:16 PM
Jingles for you all.

Karen

SouthernComfortMax
Sep. 21, 2009, 10:25 PM
I have pasture in Monroe GA...No stalls though. But I can offer some (semi-dry) not flooded pasture space...PM me if needed!

Across Sicily
Sep. 22, 2009, 07:22 AM
Jingles for everyone down there!!

Limerick
Sep. 22, 2009, 08:24 AM
Crossing everything that things improve for all the humans and animals in the Atlanta area.

3Dogs
Sep. 22, 2009, 08:37 AM
ditto what Lim said - sending mega jingles too!:no:

vxf111
Sep. 22, 2009, 09:40 AM
I am really worried for everyone in the area. Jingles!

Quinn
Sep. 22, 2009, 09:42 AM
Sending all my positive thoughts and mega jingles your way. How terrifying.

ReSomething
Sep. 22, 2009, 01:55 PM
I lived where it used to flood a lot, I really sympathize with you all and send you my prayers and best wishes.

GGsuperpony
Sep. 22, 2009, 02:08 PM
This picture (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=37195577&l=f034338661&id=22608014) was taken at 7 pm last night; by 9 pm the fences had all but disappeared below the water. Miraculously, though, nothing was permanently damaged, at least as far as we can see right now. All the fencing appears to be intact. I wish I knew who built the fencing at this property because this is one H*LL of a reference. It's ALL still standing. Even the barn stayed up and barely even got wet, really. We even were able to rescue most of our jumps in time. None of us slept much but things are more or less back to normal today, except for the remaining floodwaters, which are down to about a foot or maybe even lower by now. But other than that stuff - all of which is inconvenient but not tragic - we are all safe and sound. Thanks for your good wishes! We feel like we got off easy so your jingles must have paid off.

We may still need a shipper for a few horses - anyone know one in the Stone Mountain - Conyers, Georgia area? A couple horses without homes may come join us when we dry out and my trailer is either MIA or flooded (I am too scared to ask and haven't gone to look where it was parked yet - but it was underwater when I left last night...).

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=37195577&l=f034338661&id=22608014

Quinn
Sep. 22, 2009, 02:14 PM
Thank God you're okay. The trailer can be replaced if need be. Frightening picture.