PDA

View Full Version : New England peeps: went to a great show this weekend!

Ty2003
Sep. 21, 2009, 10:29 AM
After going to a lot of different shows this summer, I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly as far as how well they are run. As background, I live in CT and go to all types of shows - USEF "A" shows, local rated shows and local open shows. I just can't afford to do the big rated shows all the time, and since my green horses need schooling, I enjoy finding good, local shows that don't cost a fortune. Unfortunately, most of the inexpensive local shows I went to this year were not run well. At. All. I'm talking everything from "hunter" judges who didn't know what an oxer was (this particular judge kept calling it "the double jump") to show staff who wouldn't give riders their ribbons if they didn't come to the secretary's booth to pick them up within 30 minutes of a class (despite the fact that those same riders were usually riding in other classes at that point). I'd almost given up hope finding a fun, low-cost show in my area. That is, until this weekend!

I decided to go to the two-day Central Massachusetts Horse Show Series show in Spencer, MA. It's held at a beautiful "camp" out in the rolling hills of central MA. The show benefits the camp programs which cater to 4-H kids and therapeutic riders. We could not have had more fun - the shed-row stalls are nice, the judges were fantastic, the grounds are beautiful and the show management was so friendly I thought they might have been on drugs :) Best part? Stalls were $25 for the weekend. Campsites (with electricity) were $50 (but u can also rent cabins that sleep up to 10 people) and classes were $9, or $12 for a "classic". They had great prizes, too. Coolers for the "classics", and lots of goodies for division champions (Dover gift certificates, etc). They also did something fun instead of trophies - you got a ticket on your blue ribbon that you could turn in for your "prize" - everything from horse supplies to t-shirts and hats. I was so pleased to finally find a show that was reasonably priced without cutting corners on things like judges, management and grounds. The show had tons of classes for all levels of riders and it also ran like a well-oiled machine...such a treat.

Anyway, I'm getting off my soapbox :) Just wanted to share this info with New England folks who might be looking for some fun shows next year. I'm definitely going to try and go to some of their other shows during the summer - apparently they have fun year-end awards, too!

More info: www.cmhss.net

hellerkm
Sep. 21, 2009, 12:27 PM
After going to a lot of different shows this summer, I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly as far as how well they are run. As background, I live in CT and go to all types of shows - USEF "A" shows, local rated shows and local open shows. I just can't afford to do the big rated shows all the time, and since my green horses need schooling, I enjoy finding good, local shows that don't cost a fortune. Unfortunately, most of the inexpensive local shows I went to this year were not run well. At. All. I'm talking everything from "hunter" judges who didn't know what an oxer was (this particular judge kept calling it "the double jump") to show staff who wouldn't give riders their ribbons if they didn't come to the secretary's booth to pick them up within 30 minutes of a class (despite the fact that those same riders were usually riding in other classes at that point). I'd almost given up hope finding a fun, low-cost show in my area. That is, until this weekend!

I decided to go to the two-day Central Massachusetts Horse Show Series show in Spencer, MA. It's held at a beautiful "camp" out in the rolling hills of central MA. The show benefits the camp programs which cater to 4-H kids and therapeutic riders. We could not have had more fun - the shed-row stalls are nice, the judges were fantastic, the grounds are beautiful and the show management was so friendly I thought they might have been on drugs :) Best part? Stalls were $25 for the weekend. Campsites (with electricity) were $50 (but u can also rent cabins that sleep up to 10 people) and classes were $9, or $12 for a "classic". They had great prizes, too. Coolers for the "classics", and lots of goodies for division champions (Dover gift certificates, etc). They also did something fun instead of trophies - you got a ticket on your blue ribbon that you could turn in for your "prize" - everything from horse supplies to t-shirts and hats. I was so pleased to finally find a show that was reasonably priced without cutting corners on things like judges, management and grounds. The show had tons of classes for all levels of riders and it also ran like a well-oiled machine...such a treat.

Anyway, I'm getting off my soapbox :) Just wanted to share this info with New England folks who might be looking for some fun shows next year. I'm definitely going to try and go to some of their other shows during the summer - apparently they have fun year-end awards, too!

More info: www.cmhss.net

That sounds awesome!! congrats on finding a nice place to show that does it well!! they are usually few and far between!