PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else sick of this rain?

englishivy
Sep. 21, 2009, 09:27 AM
My facility does not have a covered b/c, well, usually I don't really need it. The rainy days we get mean a tack cleaning day (or a house cleaning day!) and groundwork lessons for my kids.

But since it has rained 7.3 inches since last Monday (and that doesn't include the expected inch we are getting today :eek:), we're better equiped to do swim team instead of riding right now. God Bless America. When will it end!!!

To top it off, my DD started school, so I don't even have her to entertain me.

I'm so bored. I guess I'll start on next year's taxes. :sleepy:

rabicon
Sep. 21, 2009, 09:34 AM
I am, I haven't rode in forever. My arena is a wet mess and so is the pastures. It was so bad here they even cancelled school today because of the rain. The roads are a mess. I've never seen it rain this much down here!!

colbeyjack
Sep. 21, 2009, 09:34 AM
Let me guess - you're in Georgia?

How 'bout them storms last night? :eek:

But I'm in the same boat - I just wanna ride!

mortebella
Sep. 21, 2009, 09:58 AM
Yep, sick, sick, sick of it. I'm in Tennessee. Someone tried telling me last week this is just a normal amount of rainfall, and it just SEEMS excessive because the past 2+ years we've been in a drought. I'm not buying it. My horse has a minor case of thrush. His stall is cleaned daily. He can't have gotten it except from the wet, soggy pasture. There's no way that's "just a normal amount of rainfall." Don't get me started on the riding. When every single place you've got is too slick to risk a canter for fear of a fall...:eek: And FORGET jumping. :sigh: Color me frustrated.

SkipChange
Sep. 21, 2009, 10:12 AM
Alabama here and it continues to be ridiculous with rain in the forecast EVERY day in the 7 day forecast. It's already been raining for what like 8 days? Will it ever end? *crosses fingers*

I'm lucky because I've been getting a little bit of riding done. The storms are usually in the afternoon so I can usually squeeze in a ride before it rains. I wish we had a covered but our arena footing is mysteriously holding up pretty well. Our pastures are mostly OK too, thank goodness. We've got a schooling show this weekend, not sure how we will be in shape for that with this weather!

lesson junkie
Sep. 21, 2009, 10:12 AM
I'm in the Tryon, N.C. area. Everything's waterlogged, I've used up my bedding allotment for the month already, the dogs have cabin fever, and I'm grumpy because I can't ride-and I've wasted the whole morning on this stupid computer!

If it keeps up much longer I won't be able to tell my leads from my diagonals.

dani0303
Sep. 21, 2009, 10:24 AM
I'm in the triad of NC and apparently it's just west of us. However, we got the same rain Wed-Friday of last week and it was a MESS. Huge, huge mess. I feel your pain. We're expected to get more tomorrow too. I can't complain too much because we need it but it seems a bit excessive :no:

Dirty Little Secret
Sep. 21, 2009, 10:49 AM
Luckily I'm still able to do turnout so mine aren't totally stupid but too wet to really work them. I trail rode the other day for the 30 minutes that it wasn't pouring. But forecast says 40% chance of storms and rain the rest of the week. So much for riding...

KnKShowmom
Sep. 21, 2009, 10:53 AM
I will be happy take anything you can send my way - hasn't rained in 2 weeks and everything is drying up - I should be fertilizing and seeding and instead I am throwing hay in the field!

They keep saying its coming but seems to dry up before it gets here - so close yet so far!

Sorry though that you all are so wet, thats no fun either!

DMK
Sep. 21, 2009, 10:58 AM
if our collective will could somehow send it to VA, i promise, it would be raining there and not here. i keep telling myself that we still desperately need it here. even though the drought broke earlier this year, the water supply is still critical... and yet i am so over it! my car smells like this unpleasant combination of a war between Wet Dog and Febreze Pet Spray.

KnKShowmom
Sep. 21, 2009, 11:01 AM
my car smells like this unpleasant combination of a war between Wet Dog and Febreze Pet Spray.

:lol:

carolinagirl191
Sep. 21, 2009, 11:16 AM
I laughed when I saw this thread. I've apologized to 2 friends this AM via email for being so grumpy. I know that all I need is a sunny day and I'll fell better.
Mortebella, this IS a normal amount of rain. I remember these patterns from my childhood. The drought has taken a tole on collective memory, but it was not uncommon at all to have a wet fall/indian summer.
With that said, I'm really hating this MUCH rain. I'm in the Tryon Columbus NC area, everything is wet. It rained so hard and so fast that we are seeing flooding in the run-ins and the covered. The pastures have standing water and the dehumidifier is running around the clock in the tack room. If the forecast is correct, we will have had 11 days of rain by the weekend. I event and foxhunt, so while I can ride in the dry areas of the covered, I'm limited as to what I can do. (I know - I'm blessed to be on a farm w/a barn, large fields w/run-ins , a jump ring and a covered - I'm just grumpy)
We are looking at hoof and coat issues w/ a few of our boys. It just makes horsekeeping so much more difficult and, of course, this is when the manure spreader breaks down . . . So, I'm here complaining to you guys. I should probably go clean tack.

whbar158
Sep. 21, 2009, 11:19 AM
I just moved down to Mississippi from the triangle in NC, I have been here since the 5th of September. I am pretty sure that is has rained every single day, and we have gotten almost 8 inches of rain since I got here. Currently makes me glad that I don't have a horse to ride right now, makes the rain less painful :lol:

rabicon
Sep. 21, 2009, 11:46 AM
Close to us had 9 inches just last night (withing 15 miles) on the news so I'm sure we got about the same. The good thing about our set up is the property is set so that the water washes away and down the pastures to the creek. (not really a creek but just an overrun for the neighbors pond, doesn't go very far lol). We've been lucky that all of this has washed off really well but its still a sloppy mess out there. It just won't stop. We've had about 20inches in the last week. I'd love to see what lake lanier is measuring now. If its not up to full pool after all this (and still have a weeks worth of it left at least) then I don't know what will get it back.

DMK
Sep. 21, 2009, 11:47 AM
So, I'm here complaining to you guys. I should probably go clean tack.

ugh, tack. I'm still on the injured list, so i'm not really riding. Not riding + rain = really green tack. yesterday i attacked the bridles, and gave up and just decided to scrub every inch of them with warm water and a few glugs of ammonia to kill the mildew. i actually just threw one pair of reins in the bucket, they were so coated with green. then i put a fan in the tack room and left it on. maybe that will keep the green off until i can give them another round of cleaner/conditioner?

Petstorejunkie
Sep. 21, 2009, 12:27 PM
I feel like Noah. I have 2 horses, 2 cats, 2 dogs, and never ending rain :lol:
horses came in covered in hives today, so i get to go pick up more dex (joy)
frogs are getting stinky
MTG stock just went up i'm sure because everyone's getting their legs slathered.
my horses have Eeyore ears as they stand in the rain giving me the "eye" like i ordered this wet crap.
I havent ridden in over 2 weeks
my hay is going moldy in a matter of DAYS
Halter went green in 48 hours

Where's moses, we need this crap parted on up the coastline!

ohear001
Sep. 21, 2009, 12:44 PM
I hate this weather! I finally got the vet's OK to put my horse back into work, but then monsoon season started :(

rabicon
Sep. 21, 2009, 01:58 PM
lol, I keep telling my 8 year old I'm going to go build an ark and pick up the grandparents w/ the dogs, horses, and cats. :lol:

imapepper
Sep. 21, 2009, 02:07 PM
I am hoping that the rain is done here for at least a week. I need a load of hay in the worst way and the property that I lease for my beasties is still too wet for a truck and trailer to get out....it can probably get it but out is a different story :(

My barn flooded last Friday with the heavy rains that hit. I was in the barn when it started and got to watch the water rise and then come pouring down my barn aisle :eek: The stalls on the one side of the barn got soaked from rain blowing in from the south....normally this is a plus to have that side open for ventilation :rolleyes: And the stalls on the other side of the barn are wet from water seeping up through the floor. This barn that I am renting is a drainage nightmare. We have made some improvements but heavy rain is not a good thing here. I have been horrible to live with this past week. I am not even that upset that I haven't ridden.....I just want to be able to clean stalls and take the manure out to spread without sinking up to my knees :(

On the bright side....the plants in my yard are very very happy :)

englishivy
Sep. 21, 2009, 02:11 PM
I actually spent this morning itemizing all my receipts and invoices for 2009. I've got up to June physically in the computer, and I've got July-now organized well enough that it should only take an hour or so to put them in. ARGH, what do I hate more, the rain or the IRS? :dead:

SO now I'm annoyed at not riding, my brain hurts from stupid taxes, and i think I've gained 10 lbs from sitting around and eating out of boredom!!! Thanks rain!

If I hear ANYONE complain about a drought next year........

grandprixjump
Sep. 21, 2009, 03:28 PM
Much more rain and the horses will drown though..

I'm in MS and haven't ridden in several days, my arena is a bad mess. Wondering what I might have to do to make it better without spending $30k on all weather footing, have sand, need additive and maybe re-sloped.

rabicon
Sep. 21, 2009, 03:50 PM
Its pouring here again :( I hope it clears up enough for this weekend. I'm suppose to jump judge at Poplar Place. Its not looking to good.

Mimi La Rue
Sep. 21, 2009, 04:37 PM
I wish it were raining here! Send some my way. It's hot and dry here, supposed to be back up in the 100's this week.