PDA

View Full Version : H/J trainers in Savannah area of GA?

Void
Sep. 20, 2009, 11:28 PM
I'm planning on attending SCAD for grad school and was wondering if anyone on COTH could recommend trainers to see, talk to, websites to visit. I own a horse and show him in california, and he will be heading with me back east. (also getting reputable shipping information/recommendations would be awesome.)

PoochPaddock
Sep. 21, 2009, 12:34 AM
http://www.scadathletics.com/staff.aspx?staff=15

Andrew Lustig
Director

Phone: 843.784.9902
Email: alustig@scad.edu

Andrew Lustig, the director of the Savannah College of Art and Design equestrian team, is one of America's premier hunter and hunt seat equitation trainers.

Lustig started his own equestrian business at the age of 21, training some of the most renowned show hunters in the industry. "The Chronicle of the Horse" named his horses "Conversation Piece" and "Monday Morning" Horse of the Year in 1991 and 1996, respectively.

Lustig's judging credits include World Hunter Week shows at Palm Beach, Indio, The Oaks, Culpeper, Country and Northwest Autumn Classics. Lustig has also judged major events such as the Hampton Classic, Intercollegiate Horse Show Association national finals, plus regional and national equitation finals for the United States Equestrian Federation.

dove
Sep. 21, 2009, 01:01 AM
I do not believe Andrew is affiliated with SCAD anymore.

Void
Sep. 21, 2009, 02:17 AM
Also as a grad student I can't ride on the Equestrian team, no matter how much I would love to, that coupled with the cost of boarding at SCAD has me interested in OTHER barns.

mroades
Sep. 21, 2009, 07:10 AM
Andrew is no longer there. Andrea Welles is in charge now.

There are plenty of other options in Savannah and SC if SCAD is too $$

bizbachfan
Sep. 21, 2009, 08:10 AM
A daughter of a friend of mine rides at SCAD, the trainer is supposed to be top notch and the barn there is to die for. I would think you would need to go no further than SCAD itself

cloudyandcallie
Sep. 21, 2009, 08:27 AM
I do not believe Andrew is affiliated with SCAD anymore.

You are correct. SCAD has a beatiful complex over there in SC.
And Starridge Stables is over there, plus Palmetto Bluff stables, Rose Dhu Creek Stables, etc. Lots of barns an trainers across the bridge from Savannah in Hardeeville and Bluffton and almost to HHI.

There are a few barns in and around Savannah, but I'd suggest that you look for instruction over in SC.

dani0303
Sep. 21, 2009, 08:47 AM
In Hardeeville there's Star Ridge Stables with Stella Prescott. In Bluffton you have Rose Dhu Equestrain Center, Rose Hill Equestrian Center, Moss Creek Equestrian Center, and Buckingham Plantation. If you go on to Hilton Head there's Sandy Creek Stables and Lawton Stables with Allison Campbell.

If you need numbers I have them for most of theses places.

redhorsefarm
Sep. 21, 2009, 09:08 AM
I am located 20 minutes from downtown Savannah. Full Board HJ facility. Training available including monthly clinics with highly qualified trainers from Aiken in dressage, hunters/jumpers, event,etc. You can visit my website at www.redhorsefarm.org

Void
Sep. 21, 2009, 12:48 PM
A daughter of a friend of mine rides at SCAD, the trainer is supposed to be top notch and the barn there is to die for. I would think you would need to go no further than SCAD itself

Not a helpful reply, sorry, I stated that SCAD's facilities were quite expensive.

You are correct. SCAD has a beatiful complex over there in SC.
And Starridge Stables is over there, plus Palmetto Bluff stables, Rose Dhu Creek Stables, etc. Lots of barns an trainers across the bridge from Savannah in Hardeeville and Bluffton and almost to HHI.

There are a few barns in and around Savannah, but I'd suggest that you look for instruction over in SC.

This was helpful I will be checking out their websites right away and will visit them when I fly to GA.

benedev
Sep. 21, 2009, 04:11 PM
I am planning to attend SCAD in the spring to finish my undergrad. What are they charging for boarding at their barn? Will they only train students in their equestrian program? Are they equipped to handle a prix horse?

cloudyandcallie
Sep. 21, 2009, 05:49 PM
Don't forget Portside which is on hwy 21 west of downtown but inside 95. Their trainer is an eventer though, but their prices are less than SCAD barn.
And I have a friend who works at Lawton Barn so PM me if you want Elizabeth to tell you about it. (On HHI)

Someone I don't know ran an ad on savannah's craigslist last week I think it was, she is opening a new barn in SC close to savannah and her board will only be $450. I think she is an eventer, but check out craigslist under farm and garden, and if necessary go back to the next 100 listings.

There are several barns close in to Savannah and even in the city, Wicklow which is hunter/jumper, and Silverthorne Run, which is eventer but has some h/j.

Also Lucy Hunter has a tack shop in Bluffton, as well as a small barn herself, she events, and she can give you information on all the barns around there. Depends on how close to the city of Savannah that you want your horse to be. There are also barns south of Savannah in Richmond Hill, but the mosquitoes and sand gnats in the swamps down there are awful.

And find a good farrier. Pat or Gerald or Darian.

mroades
Sep. 21, 2009, 08:45 PM
Cloudy....Lucy no longer has the tack store...

For the OP if you want to email me at mroades@aol.com I can give you the straight scoop on savannah...lived there for 35 years.