PDA

View Full Version : Update! US video Does size of horse compared to rider matter in hunter ring?

Couture TB
Sep. 20, 2009, 09:42 PM
I am just getting ready to start this horse soon. He is a 3yr who is still growing and should grow 3 or more inches yet. I do eventing so it does not really matter much on size of rider to horse.

Would be showing him on the flat and some over fences classes.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm205/MattsonTraining/Geston009.jpg

Hunter Mom
Sep. 20, 2009, 09:49 PM
I assume you're worried about being too small on him? Personally, I'd rather see a big horse with a smaller adult than the other. He'll certainly be slimming :)

He is lovely, too. I think you should send him to me if he's too big for you!:D

Couture TB
Sep. 20, 2009, 09:55 PM
Yes, I am worried about being seen as to small. Especially since I will actually be fit for next years show season so will be down 50lb. I know hunters is alot on the over all look of the horse and rider and I would hate to have that make him place lower since I would be showing him for his owner.

toxicity
Sep. 20, 2009, 10:48 PM
The combination of a small rider/big horse looks much nicer than small horse/large rider, IMO.

dghunter
Sep. 20, 2009, 10:49 PM
Agree with others and have to say he is adorable! I love the bigger type of horses, perhaps because one I know has the best jump in the world!

Couture TB
Sep. 20, 2009, 10:53 PM
The only way to describe him is large dog:lol: He has his sires temperment, and I use his sire for lessons.

Haalter
Sep. 21, 2009, 01:59 AM
Did you really say you are going to lose 50 lbs by next show season? (spring I assume?) Holy crap, that's ambitious!

If you ride the horse effectively and appropriately, that's what will matter in the hunter ring. There are plenty of smaller pros who do just fine on the big WBs. Suitability, in terms of size as well as temperament, is more of a factor for the junior and ammy classes IME. And even in these cases, big horse/small rider is much better than small horse/big rider.

Treasmare2
Sep. 21, 2009, 07:16 AM
I am 5'1 1/2 and I ride my 17 hand well built wb in AO....before that in Adults. I think maybe some judges have an issue with the size but on the whole we do very well. I think it speaks well for the horse that he lopes around in a plain D ring snaffle. There is big size discepency but I would rather it this way than a large rider on a smaller horse. However, the longer rider on the tall horse is such a pretty picture overall I am sure that has influence on placings.

Couture TB
Sep. 21, 2009, 10:17 AM
Did you really say you are going to lose 50 lbs by next show season? (spring I assume?) Holy crap, that's ambitious!

Yup. Now that I am not sick all the time and can get back to working out this weight is going! But our season doesn't start till May. Last year we couldn't even ride for most of Jan-begining of March do to sub zero (-40 for awhile) weather.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Glad to hear that it is better for me to be on him then something to small.

Couture TB
Feb. 12, 2010, 10:55 PM
Thought I would post an update. He was sold this November and has now been under saddle with his new owner (who also purchased another horse of the same bloodline from us in spring 2009) and I think he is going awsome. What do you hunter people think? Here is him jumping http://www.youtube.com/user/fidlersrunequestrian#p/u/1/_QawefyCK4o

These are videos of him in the first few weeks under saddle
http://www.youtube.com/user/fidlersrunequestrian#p/u/5/GIA9-yJ-5wo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNbgj4g3PyE

I am so pleased with how she is doing with him. Funny thing is she is smaller then I am!

hntrjmprpro45
Feb. 12, 2010, 11:12 PM
I think it all comes down to whether or not it will be distracting. Quite frankly I haven't really seen too many distracting small riders on big horses (usually the other way around). I think you will be fine so long as you can make him look fairly easy (its not good when a tiny rider looks like they are struggling to control a big horse). At least he's not too small!!

ETA- sorry didn't read your last post, nevermind!

SquishTheBunny
Feb. 13, 2010, 12:42 AM
He doesnt look that big to me?? In the origional picture, maybe you were standing behind him? He looks quite large in that picture, but in the videos he looks quite a bit more refined. He looks a good size-match for his new rider!! Nice horse, looks athletic enough to do almost any discipline.