PDA

View Full Version : Saddle suggestions?

MayDayTiger
Sep. 20, 2009, 08:55 PM
Hello all,

I'm fairly new to the forum. Wanted to ask for some saddle suggestions.

I'm about 5' 6.5" tall and have a very long thigh for my height. I'm guessing I'd need a forward flap to accommodate my longer thigh.

I've been riding in a Stubben Sigfried (it's about 30 years old, was my mom's saddle) and while the fit seems alright, but I feel like I'm behind the horse when I ride.

What saddles do you love for riding hunters?
What saddles would you avoid?

I don't have a huge budget for buying a saddle but would definitely like some opinions on the saddles that are currently available.

Thanks!

Mary

PonyPenny
Sep. 21, 2009, 12:17 AM
I was lucky to buy a used CWD saddle for my daughter off Ebay for $2200. I had her get measured for a saddle at a show, so I knew what size seat and flap she was. I told the rep I was looking for a used saddle as I could not afford a new one. I happened to find the right seat and flap on Ebay. The saddle was perfect for her and already broken in. I do not know what your budget is, but there might be a quality used saddle out there that would fit you well.

MayDayTiger
Sep. 23, 2009, 11:01 PM
i'll check them out, thank you!

jetsmom
Sep. 24, 2009, 12:15 AM
Antares.

I bought (new) an HDR, a Beval Natural and a County Stabilizer XTR. The HDR just didn't sit me in the correct spot, and encouraged my leg to get too far forward. The Beval KILLED my crotch and made me pinch with my knees. The County made me REALLY pinch with my knees, and occasionally rubbed my crotch raw.

The Antares has a slightly wider twist (which is better for people with flat/slimmer thighs.) I immediately stopped pinching with my knee/jumping ahead, and it made it so I wasn't having to "try" to keep my leg in the correct position. I LOVE my Antares. Customer service was great. They gave me an Antares "loaner" saddle while I was waiting for mine.

PS- Welcome to the forums! If you search at the top of the threads, you can find alot of info on the different saddles.

Across Sicily
Sep. 24, 2009, 02:21 AM
County.

Got my groovy Stabilizer about 2 mos ago and I. am. in. love. Comfy without being too fluffy, yet still secure. Every time I sit in this saddle I don't want to get out. Haven't ever felt that way about a saddle before!

oldenburger with fries and a cold beer
Sep. 24, 2009, 06:05 AM
Ciao!
I am .5 taller with a rather long thigh and I love my County Stabilizer with a forward flap. I also love my Butet purchased new on Ebay with a 2 flap. My lesson learned is fit your horse first and then yourself. As many others, I have been burnt miserably by a french saddle maker. Be sure to take your saddle out on trial for as long of a period as allowed. Do not settle for second best because of price/maker, settle for the best fit for both horse and rider. Good luck!