PDA

View Full Version : Clipping/Pulling Tails for Dressage

eventingrocks97
Sep. 20, 2009, 08:50 PM
Do you pull/clip your horse's tail for a dressage show?

NorCalDressage
Sep. 20, 2009, 08:56 PM
Yes. Use clippers & scizzors though - not pulling.

atr
Sep. 20, 2009, 09:05 PM
No. He's an appy with an unusually luxurious tail. I think I'd probably be sent straight to hell if I did any more than bang it...

Pony Fixer
Sep. 20, 2009, 09:07 PM
I have a show this weekend--trimmed the tail yesterday. I do trim the top hairs (with a scissors) for about the top 6 inches. I also bang the tail.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Sep. 21, 2009, 03:37 AM
I trim/clip the top and bang the bottom. Seems like the new trend is not to clip/trip the top anymore and some even look like they no longer bang. Me, well, I think it looks tidier and I think it makes the horse look rounder and accentuates the positive, if'n ya know what I mean. LOL I was watching a video from back int he 90's when it was still very popular and I just thought it looked so nice. I am a tail fanatic though.

eventingrocks97
Sep. 21, 2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the advice guys! I wasn't sure what was appropriate for dressage show because I have always done eventing.

Trigger
Sep. 23, 2009, 01:07 PM
I have never clipped for fear of messing it up...just bang the bottom. I wouldn't mind learning to do a good top of tail trim, but not the "scalped" look. For those that clip/trim, would you mind explaining how you do it well, and maybe post some pictures?

Gloria
Sep. 23, 2009, 01:47 PM
No... But I show hunter pleasure and I need those short hair at the tail head to braid. When I show dressage, I use hair gel to glue the short hair down to tail head so they don't stick out.

bort84
Sep. 23, 2009, 03:30 PM
I looove the look of a pulled banged tail. It took me a bit (grew up riding saddlebreds, you don't let a single hair get damaged or shortened with those babies), but I think a neatly pulled tail can really emphasize a lovely behind = ) And the banged tails look so neat and tidy. The whole picture is just very dressage-y and lovely in my mind. If my appy had a long luxurious tail (jealous, atr) I would absolutely pull and bang, but he doesn't, so we go au naturel, haha. Though his tail has recently grown to the point of being sliiightly closer to his ankle than his hocks, haha. Baby steps...

J-Lu
Sep. 23, 2009, 09:55 PM
I use scissors and trim the sides at the dock of the tail to the dock...and then bang the bottom. The lines look alot cleaner, to me, when the dock is trimmed and the tail is banged. And it makes a nice impression. I don't pull...never had a horse who enjoyed it much. ;)

angel
Sep. 23, 2009, 11:28 PM
No clipping ever. I crossed showed in hunter as well as dressage, and once that tail was braided...it stayed braided for the whole show, including dressage!:cool:

JackSprats Mom
Sep. 24, 2009, 11:40 PM
I use clippers on the sides (but not too close) to give nice clean lines and bang the bottom. Makes him look very smart!

ElephantHorse
Sep. 29, 2009, 04:49 PM
I love a clipped banged tail and I groom the rest of my mare like she was a hunter. I pull the mane and clip everything! Ears/bridle path/jaw/muzzle/eye whiskers/fetlocks/feet... Some of my more strict dressage friends think I am a barbarian but I love a clean polished head and legs.

I do the top of my tail with scissors by combing the side hairs out as far as they will go then I make sure the hairs down about the middle two inches of the dock are not combed to the side (I don't want them cut) then I go up the side with the scissors and trim everything sticking out about 1cm from the skin for about 5-8 in (depending on size of horse). I have pulled in the past but don't like to...

goeslikestink
Sep. 29, 2009, 04:52 PM
onmy helpful link pages on the sticky above it has a lot of info and about pulling manes and tails on page 4