PDA

View Full Version : Best girth for horse thin skinned horse?

butlerfamilyzoo
Sep. 20, 2009, 01:11 PM
Never thought i had this issue as my previous girth never did this. But my pony has outgrown her 18" all elastic girth and i cant seem to find them being sold anymore (Westip i think it is)... So i put my 20" ovation neoprene girth on her, and poof, one 20min ride and she's rubbed raw.

I was looking at the amerigo shaped girth since it goes so nice and narrow by the elbow, but um, frankly, no girth should cost $250... And i think the smallest i found was a 24".

So what other options are out there? Sheepskin? What do the other thin skinned horses go well in? I'm leery to go with a different neoprene if this one rubbed. Whatever i get has to come in 20"...

angel
Sep. 20, 2009, 01:22 PM
string girth..takes care of most fitting problems.

merrygoround
Sep. 20, 2009, 01:24 PM
Mohair string, or nylon string. I've used the mohair on a horse that I spent $$$ on girth that didn't rub, until they rubbed. :(

stolensilver
Sep. 20, 2009, 01:33 PM
My young horse has the same problem. I solved it by buying a shaped sheepskin cover. Since we've been using it she's had no more rubs or swellings from her girth.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEPHENS-SHEEPSKIN-DRESSAGE-GIRTH-COVER-BLACK-NATURAL_W0QQitemZ310149102130QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Horse_Wear_Equipment?hash=item483653ba32&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

butlerfamilyzoo
Sep. 20, 2009, 02:35 PM
Can you only get a mohair girth in natural? Do they come in black anywhere? I'm only finding natural, which i'm thinking would stick out like a sore thumb on a dark bay with white pad at shows...

Dressage.For.Life.
Sep. 20, 2009, 03:02 PM
I tried several different girths (including $150+ leather girths and $50 neoprene) and ended up with this (link below) for my thin-skinned Thoroughbred. It's very shaped, is durable, and has some give. My problem with the really expensive ones was finding one that was shaped enough and had a little give; this one had it all and was $100 cheaper. If it rubs, you could always get (or make) a girth cover.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-021214&ids=664233876

butlerfamilyzoo
Sep. 20, 2009, 03:04 PM
i saw that one in person at dover and liked it too, however, the smallest it comes is 24"... I need a 20.

stryder
Sep. 20, 2009, 03:05 PM
Can you only get a mohair girth in natural? Do they come in black anywhere? I'm only finding natural, which i'm thinking would stick out like a sore thumb on a dark bay with white pad at shows...

comes in brown, too:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-02174&ids=664234607

Ambrey
Sep. 20, 2009, 03:08 PM
This one!

Very elasticy and soft!

http://www.justforponies.com/ovationdri-lexfleecedressagegirth20-26.aspx

Oh, but wait, I don't see it in 18" :(

flyracing
Sep. 20, 2009, 03:12 PM
I had a horse that had constant girth rubs for 4 years unless the girth was covered in sheepskin, BUT now he can go in any girth and hasn't had a rub in 3 years! Instead of preventing the symptoms (chaning girths and adding padding) I took away the cause of the sores in my horse.

Give this a try :yes:
Move the saddle back (there is a current fad to have dressage saddles too far forward, but it is easier for the horse/pony to move through their back with the saddle correctly positioned and as a bonus less girth rubs will occur)

**Most important** Take the front legs and stretch them out as far up and forward as the pony with comfortably allow you to. This pulls the baggy skin that gets pinched and broken out from under the girth. This has to be done after the girth is at it's tightest (or the skin will be recaught when the girth is tightened more).

Good luck!

slc2
Sep. 20, 2009, 04:31 PM
For my horses the answer was a string girth. It's flexible enough that it conforms to the animal's shape.

butlerfamilyzoo
Sep. 20, 2009, 06:11 PM
Ok, Anyone have links for stores that sell a 20" string girth of any kind in black or brown? I could live with brown, if it came in a 20", which the above link to the dover one in brown starts at 34"...

The new saddle i have does stay back on her, the first to do so, so i know that is not the issue. I do not recall if i pulled the loose skin forward or not when i rode her yesterday, but i usually do. My all elastic girth never did this to her. Passier makes an all elastic girth but its a 24".

Anyone know if you can still get a Westip elastic girth anywhere? I would be happy to just get a 20" but no one seems to carry them anymore. My 18" one has had heavy use for 4yrs and still looks like brand new... Wonder why they arent being sold anymore.

AmericaRunsOnDunkin
Sep. 20, 2009, 08:24 PM
I use a sheepskin girth - its about $25-$30 from SmartPak for my sensitive flower. Works like a charm! No more girthiness.

sayyadina
Sep. 21, 2009, 06:04 PM
You can get a string girth in black, brown or white in sizes as small as 18" here https://www.stubbendirect.co.uk/stubben-trevira-cord-girth-p-195.html

I have an 20" black girth for my thin skinned Welara and we've had no issues with it.

I also had one of these, in the black & natural, until it shrank. I believe they can do custom orders, so you could get all black. http://www.actionridertack.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=48_253&products_id=59

EiRide
Sep. 21, 2009, 06:35 PM
For my thin skinned grey filly, I got a cheap fleece girth--REALLY cheap--and it works better than any of the very spendy options.

Eclectic Horseman
Sep. 22, 2009, 02:26 PM
Never thought i had this issue as my previous girth never did this. But my pony has outgrown her 18" all elastic girth and i cant seem to find them being sold anymore (Westip i think it is)... So i put my 20" ovation neoprene girth on her, and poof, one 20min ride and she's rubbed raw.

I was looking at the amerigo shaped girth since it goes so nice and narrow by the elbow, but um, frankly, no girth should cost $250... And i think the smallest i found was a 24".

So what other options are out there? Sheepskin? What do the other thin skinned horses go well in? I'm leery to go with a different neoprene if this one rubbed. Whatever i get has to come in 20"...

Here's a Westip, but it looks like the smallest size is 22"

http://www.paddocksaddlery.com/browse.cfm/4,1533.html

They have a cotton web ovation girth in a 20" on that site, too. Cotton web always seems to work for me.

Hampton Bay
Sep. 22, 2009, 04:22 PM
I've never seen a horse be rubbed by a Wintec Elastic girth, and they are available in 20". They don't seem to stick to the skin like the cheaper neoprene girths do. Of course, I also tend to leave my girth a bit on the loose side. I once realized when I was jumping that I could stick a whole fist under the girth.

I think it's the Action Rider site that does nice custom string girths. A friend had one made and the quality was good.

J-Lu
Sep. 22, 2009, 09:43 PM
I'm going to second Hampton Bay. I also have never seen a horse rubbed raw in a wintec girth and I know lots of people who use them (myself included).

I'm not a huge fan of shaped girths unless a girth seriously rides up on your horse's elbows because they significantly narrow the point of contact. Instead of a wide girth that distributes the pressure, they concentrate the pressure to the narrow area that is cut back. Some horses find this mighty uncomfortable.

J.

DreamsOfGP
Sep. 22, 2009, 10:31 PM
I think the best girth is those Le Tixerant girths. I have a very girthy horse and it's the only one she tolerates all the time. Of course, I've only been able to borrow them and am still saving up for my own:-( They are made of a material that is used for bed ridden hospital patients so VERY soft. They are also different because they stretch under the belly instead of at the sides. They look really funny, but I haven't met a horse yet that didn't love them. I know they come in small sizes, too. Good luck.

_downpour_
Sep. 23, 2009, 01:14 AM
Either fleece or sheepskin, maybe with double ended elastic? works for me!

indyblue
Sep. 23, 2009, 02:53 AM
Mattes Contour sheepskin girth.Love it.

paintlady
Sep. 23, 2009, 11:45 AM
I've never seen a horse be rubbed by a Wintec Elastic girth, and they are available in 20". They don't seem to stick to the skin like the cheaper neoprene girths do.

I second the Wintec Elastic girth... and, yes, they do come in 20" (I have one).