PDA

View Full Version : Veredus Boots vs.T-Boots?

SaddlePotato3
Sep. 20, 2009, 01:18 PM
Hi there!

I'm looking to buy new jumping boots for my two A/O jumpers. One has a pair of Veredus Carbons, which I like a lot. I have been using Eskadrons for a few years now, but I just feel that over the higher stuff, a horse needs more support than that. I like the T-Boots because of their ability to mold to the horse's leg and the light shell I would assume would promote the horse's ability to have faster reaction over the fences. I'm sure I am sounding very silly putting this much thought into a jumping boot, but I am very interested in other riders' opinions on the topic. I would also like to make clear I am no way bashing the Eskadron by any means, I just think the Veredus and T-Boot offer a boot that is a bit more advanced. I've been researching both boots all morning only to find myself more confused, haha, isn't that always how it happens? Anyways, any input is greatly appreciated :)

P.S. I should also make clear, while I would love to know which boot has the better durability, in the long run, I really want to know which boot is going to protect my horse the best and enhance its performance. Thank you!

SkipChange
Sep. 20, 2009, 02:10 PM
No boot is going to offer "support" to the horse's leg, as nearly everyone on the board will inform you. I like the T-boots because I feel like they are cooler than other boots like Eskadrons so you don't have the heat build up, which can be harmful to tendons etc. Plus those removable, machine washable liners are a real plus. I have never used Veredus but some people I know have them and I think T-boots look better (can't speak to function though).

PNWjumper
Sep. 20, 2009, 02:14 PM
I don't think there's a boot out there that's going to "enhance" your horse's performance. Maybe if you start talking about boots like the Doda boots that encourage a horse to use it's hind end slightly differently??? But I don't think you'll find any difference between Eskadrons and T-boots or Veredus Boots.

I've been using Eskadrons on both of my AO Jumpers for the last couple of years. But on occasion I'll throw my Beval sheepskin lined ones on my mare....certainly no difference in how she jumps or performs there (going from the Gel-tech Eskadrons to the Bevals). Then at the last show I purchased my gelding a set of the EXP T-boots. No difference going from the regular Eskadrons to the T-boots either, and if there ever was a horse who would notice a difference it's my very sensitive TB.

I do like the memory foam-type cushioning in the boots, but boots (especially open fronts) don't provide any real "support" for tendons or ligaments. Protection from brushing or hitting poles, sure, but not actual support. And the weight difference between the Eskadrons and T-boots is negligible. I can't imagine that any horse would be quicker with it's front end from such a minor change.

So I would suggest going with whatever you think looks better on your horse. I just don't think there's a big enough difference between the high end boots from each brand (Eskadron, T-boots, and Veredus) to make it an obvious choice of one over the others.

SaddlePotato3
Sep. 20, 2009, 02:27 PM
Thank you both so much! That is really quite helpful! :) I don't really mean to "enhance" performance like the Doda boot, but I was more wondering whether the lightness of the T-Boot would help with a faster reaction in the front end vs. a heavier boot like the Veredus Carbon. I'm sure I sound retarded, but it was just something that passed through the brain waves ;)

Tex Mex
Sep. 20, 2009, 03:10 PM
Something to consider- Veredus and Eskadrons are "injection molded" which means the material is filled into a mold and then it hardens. The T-Boots are hand molded. So if the veredus boots fit your horse perfectly, then they will be great, but there is a good chance that your horse's legs aren't exactly the same as the mold that was used, in which case the hard shell could be putting pressure or rubbing in certain areas. This won't happen with the hand molded and slightly more flexible shell of the T Boots. But you really should ask the store if you can try them on your horse (most stores will let you, just make sure they stay clean). Whichever ones mold best to your horse's legs are the ones I'd go with.

Treasmare2
Sep. 20, 2009, 08:00 PM
I use the gel carbons and like them alot...esp the hook closure. I really wanted to get a set of T boots but I have not been able to find a set of fronts tall enough for my tall long cannoned horse. Has anyone else found this problem?

SkipChange
Sep. 20, 2009, 08:43 PM
I know a lot of people think T-boots are too short for their horse, I believe an Equifit rep posts on here and he suggested that most really weren't too short. I don't want them going up super high and interfering with knee but I definitely understand wanting them tall enough to protect the leg. My guy is 16.1 and M/L fit him fine but they do come in XL on smartpak. Have you tried that size?

PNWjumper
Sep. 21, 2009, 02:29 AM
I use the gel carbons and like them alot...esp the hook closure. I really wanted to get a set of T boots but I have not been able to find a set of fronts tall enough for my tall long cannoned horse. Has anyone else found this problem?

I just went through this with my 17h TB. His [regular horse-sized] Eskadrons were really a little bit too small (he has LONG and decent sized legs). I picked up a pair of the M/L and a pair of the XL T-boots to try. I was SO hoping the M/L would fit so I could by the rhinowear (or whatever it's called) pair instead of the EXP which was twice as expensive, but no such luck. So I now have a pair of the EXP T-boots in size XL (The M/L fit him fine behind). Having said that, the tack shop lady said that she's only seen a couple of horses that actually *needed* the XL size because the boots tend to mold to the horse's leg and "stretch" (they don't actually stretch, but they do get looser). I thought the M/L seemed a little bit short so I'm glad I picked up the XL (which are definitely taller), and now I'm just hoping they don't get much looser than they are now.

So, now that I've rambled on the short answer to your question:
Yes, I had that problem and the XL sized boots fit perfectly :)

Treasmare2
Sep. 21, 2009, 08:27 AM
The M/L comes up about an inch and a half short in lenght but I have not seen XL here. Prob as you say very few horses ever need them. I am going to look into hunting down a set of XL. The rear ones are OK. The stretch factor may no be a prob for this horse either as he has lots of bone too. He sounds like a draft horse but he isn't :lol: Just a very big horse that somehow came out of my small mare. I have tried so many makes of boots that it is crazy but the T boots were certainly my first choice had I found a boot to fit.....the Veredus gel carbons were by default but they are a wonderful boot and mine are now three to four years old with wear just starting to show. Just tried some of those nice Prestige boots ...they are too short too. Very frustrating. Thanks for th einfo and today I will be on the hunt again for a good boot.

SkipChange
Sep. 21, 2009, 11:16 AM
Smartpak has XL in every model (except the Luxe leather ones).

http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/SearchResults.aspx?page=GRID&free_text=t-boot&attribute_value_string|Store_ID=Equine

forestergirl99
Sep. 21, 2009, 03:22 PM
My trainer has the Veredus boots, and I personally don't really see how they are worth as much as they are. The padding wasn't particularly thick, and they just seemed like a hyped up version of the Eskadrons. I'm really interested in the T-boots though. They sound like they would really conform to the horse's legs. If I can come up with the money, I would love to try a pair of them. :yes:

foursocks
Sep. 25, 2009, 12:15 PM
I have had a few of the Veredus boots and different types of the T-boots for years now. The Veredus are super tough and do a great job protecting my horse from knocking himself behind. The open fronts conform quite well to his legs, actually- I have a pair of the older ones with gel.

The T-boots are a lot less tough than the Veredus, but the liners are great. The only T-boots that have stood up to his abuse are the Luxe (of course- dumb horse has expensive tastes), but they are obviously not for daily use, unless one is independently wealthy! My horse tore up the first version of the T-boots, and then tore up the EXP version, but if you have a less destructive animal, they are wonderful boots.