PDA

View Full Version : Why do manufacturers always mess with a good thing??

Velvet
Sep. 20, 2009, 10:53 AM
I was looking at the new Wintec dressage saddles and just have to wonder what in the heck they were thinking. I understood when they went from the old crappy fabric to the fake suede. That was a really good move. I also understood that they created a wider saddle with big thigh blocks to fit the trend where riders no longer want to work on building a correct position, but want a saddle to hand it to them. (Yes, that's my bitter opinion. I'll take the heat on that, but I won't agree that those saddles are anything more than a crutch. So I guess while you might disagree, we'll have to agree to disagree.)

But why do they have to discontinue saddle designs that a lot of people and horses like? I don't get it. It's not ALWAYS progress, and you can't convince me that their sales are slow because they need to make a major change. I think when you make a successful product the sales slow because the people who want it already have it. Does this mean you discontinue the old one? It should NOT. You might scale back on the old design manufacturing numbers, but you should not remove it entirely. If you do, when these people with the saddle suggest a new saddle to others, they'll have to point them to another brand with a similar style saddle And when it comes time to replace their saddle, they'll go with someone else because the brand no longer has anything they like.

What is wrong with these companies and their marketing and their management decisions? I'm truly baffled by how they can make such bad decisions. :no:

CatOnLap
Sep. 20, 2009, 11:00 AM
Velvet, which lines did they discontinue that youre missing?

I agree on the suede stuff- I love it and hated the fakey pleather crap. I have ridden in the new contour block saddles and I also agree with you there. The one I tried actually HURT to ride in because it impinged on my thighs so much- even in the right size and my thighs aren't that big, but are adequately padded. But you can still get the Pro without the contour blocks. The re-design of the Pro is not much different- the only change I noticed in the non contour one is that the stirrup bars are a little further back and that is a good change. The gullets are easier to change out now too.

dwblover
Sep. 20, 2009, 11:12 AM
Well, IMHO the old Wintec 500 dressage was less than desirable. The new one? Awesome. So to me they are moving in a much better direction. I think companies do have to change to keep up with the times. But I love the direction they are moving in, love the new line of saddles, and love my new 500. I never would have bought the old 500, so they are attracting new buyers.

Equibrit
Sep. 20, 2009, 11:29 AM
They seem to have a variety available; http://www.wintec.net.au/products/dressage/newDressagePro.html

what is your specific beef ?

Ambrey
Sep. 20, 2009, 11:36 AM
They are not out to change the dressage world for the better, they are out to sell saddles.

A lot of people didn't like the old Pro/500 design- stirrup bars too far forward, not properly balanced for people of average build, etc. So they changed it because they wanted more people to buy their saddles.

It's not always a positive change when a company tries this- think "new coke" or "new Tipperary." Usually it becomes clear that the old is preferred. But in this case, I've heard mostly really positive reviews of the Pro design change.

You can get it without the blocks, by the way.

As for why they don't usually continue to make an old product- well, usually they have to retool the factory in which it is made. Many fairly automated factories aren't easily/quickly adjustable between two different products. IF there's a big outcry they can usually manage it, but they'd really rather not. Also, there are already plenty "in the pipeline" for those who are really loyal to the old design.

AZ Native
Oct. 8, 2009, 02:52 PM
Well, IMHO the old Wintec 500 dressage was less than desirable. The new one? Awesome. So to me they are moving in a much better direction. I think companies do have to change to keep up with the times. But I love the direction they are moving in, love the new line of saddles, and love my new 500. I never would have bought the old 500, so they are attracting new buyers.

I'm a bit late to the party but wondered if you like the new 500 better than the new ( or old ) Pro. Did the old Pro have the same issues with the stirrup bars being too forward ?
Thanks !

Carol O
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:48 PM
I would give them a year or two to work the bugs out of the new models, and then I am sure they will have something really good.

NoDQhere
Oct. 9, 2009, 09:31 AM
We just got the new Pro with the Contour Blocs and it is a really nice saddle. It seems to be a big improvement over the old Pro and the Isabelle. We got the flocked one as it seems like the Cair has too much bounce. We've never had a 500 so can't say anything about them.

AZ Native
Oct. 9, 2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks Patty. I had an old Pro ( which I liked , but I'm more educated as far as saddles now than I was then )and sold it long ago but now I'm looking for a second saddle for my QH as my Balance is too wide for him. I had decided to go with the flocked Pro but had not considered the one with the contour blocks as it looked like it had pretty big knee rolls and would fix you into position as opposed to the Pro. But I have not sat in the one with the contour blocks, just my initial observation.

dwblover
Oct. 9, 2009, 09:45 PM
AZ Native, yes I prefer the new 500 to the old pro. I actually liked the old Pro and had one for awhile, but the new 500 is oodles better. Even more comfortable and fits my horse SO much better. The new equileather is even nicer than the old suede. It honestly looks just like the Bates. Puts me in a great position.

AZ Native
Oct. 9, 2009, 10:41 PM
Well that's cool. I hadn't considered that saddle at all. Do you like it better than than the new Pro ? The price for the 500 is great if I remember correctly. Thanks , dwbLover !

dwblover
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:46 AM
I haven't ridden in the new Pro, but to my eye it looks like the exact same model as the new 500 just covered in the suede. Honestly the new equileather is so nice I probably would not pay the extra $ for the suede unless I wanted the counterblocks.

NoDQhere
Oct. 10, 2009, 11:40 AM
I should mention that Mr. NoDQhere rides many young horses and bought the Pro with the contour blocs primarily for that. Fairly easy to adjust for different horses and the Wintecs do seem comfortable for the horses. He loves the "grip" of the equisuede especially if a youngster happens to get "silly". Also if he should happen to have a big wreck, (which so far has never happened, knock on wood) but still....... an $800 saddle would be much "easier" to replace ;). At this point he is pretty impressed overall with the saddle.

AZ Native
Oct. 10, 2009, 11:58 AM
Interesting and helpful information.Thanks to you both !

NJRider
Oct. 10, 2009, 06:05 PM
Be aware that there a lot of sizing problems with the new Pro. Do not buy one unless it is from a quality, educated dealer that has one in stock that they have examined and measured. If you get stuck with a defective saddle (a 17 1/2 that is actually almost 19" for example) Wintec does not care at all.