PDA

View Full Version : Buyer/dealer?

Arch
Sep. 19, 2009, 09:38 AM

mvp
Sep. 19, 2009, 09:48 AM
Unless you think halting this deal in it's tracks will make it tough for you to sell in your area in the future, just say no to the vet appointment. They don't get to vet a horse they'd like to buy without the owner's consent right? What's the big deal? The buyers and agents do seem to be a little bit ahead of themselves and not terribly interested in what the seller thinks.

You can clean up messes with the people you'd like to stay on good terms with later. Explain to the guy that you rode for that several features of the deal weren't to your liking, so it made sense to cancel the PPE (you hadn't agreed to). Breaking the vet appointment wasn't personal, sorry if you inconvenienced him.

Beam Me Up
Sep. 19, 2009, 09:52 AM
You don't have to sell to anyone you don't want to.

I'm not understanding from your post, though, did the vetting happen or did you call it off? It sounds like it was happening right when they called?

Not sure if you're being played (they are after all agreeing to pay your asking price) but if you have a bad feeling and would rather wait for the next buyer, that is entirely your prerogative.

Arch
Sep. 19, 2009, 10:03 AM
no, the vetting did not happen, the vet drove up and I met him and told him that until minutes before I was not aware that he was coming and the horse was turned out in his field for the evening.

I guess I am feeling a little railroaded by all of this.

faraway46
Sep. 19, 2009, 06:16 PM
Your horse might be a great deal because he is very talented for the asking price OR because they have just the right client for him (which might include a hefty commision ;) ).
If you are paying your jumper rider and he has no hearsay in the sale (like an extra buck if sold before X date), you are free to do as you wish.
I guess the mistake was giving the hunter dealer a price in the first place. If he was not for sale, then there's no price tag. Remember other peoples' time is worth money and if you told your rider the horse was worth X amount, it is logical to think it's on the market. There were phone calls, time and gas involved to see a horse that was after all "not for sale for $25k". That might bother me a tad if I am shopping: wasting my time seeing horses that I can't buy when I thought I could is frustrating.
Other than that, he's yours. Do as you wish, but I would think the potential buyer might get a little upset. If your intentions are to breed and sell, I would reconsider how it would affect my future deals (specially if this is a well known dealer...) and remember if the horse is that good and you sell him, you have a happy customer that can bring on more customers. If you are in the horse business theres no better PR than happy clients ;).

hb
Sep. 19, 2009, 06:51 PM
Trainer probably found someone to buy him for 50K.