PDA

View Full Version : How is The Pamplemousse doing?

Across Sicily
Sep. 19, 2009, 12:48 AM
I was watching "Jockeys" earlier tonight and there was a big thing on The Pamplemousse. What an incredible looking horse. Being as the Santa Anita was quite a few months ago, does anyone know how he is doing now? Is his tendon better and is he back in training, and will he be racing soon, or are they waiting until next year? He really looks like a horse to keep your eye on.

Laurierace
Sep. 19, 2009, 08:06 AM
I don't have any info on this specific horse but based upon my experience with tendon injuries there is still a long way to go before he can return to training.

iloverocky
Sep. 19, 2009, 08:40 AM
The latest update I could find was from July 24 www.miamiherald.com/sports/horse-racing/story/1156251.html

Solis II said it could be next summer.

2LaZ2race
Sep. 19, 2009, 09:39 AM
I was wondering the same thing and countless google searches didn't help! Stunning horse but almost seemed too big for his own legs.

dogdays
Sep. 19, 2009, 12:52 PM
How big is he?

2LaZ2race
Sep. 19, 2009, 03:15 PM
Not sure exactly but they kept talking about how big he was on the show and he really did dwarf the other horses.

Cammie
Sep. 19, 2009, 03:50 PM
I met him a few months ago at Hollywood Park, and he's at least 17 hands. Beautiful colt, and had a nice personality. Julio was up to his usual tricks, telling the somewhat naive people I was with that The Pamplemousse would make an excellent CANTER prospect- Julio thought he would make a good jumper. They weren't familiar with how good of a horse The Pamplemousse was, and thought Julio was serious about potentially listing him. :D

Lauruffian
Sep. 19, 2009, 04:04 PM
I was genuinely impressed watching him move on Jockeys last night--he has a HUGE stride!

I have to say, though, that when it was said he was clocked running 50mph, my bullsh*t meter about exploded. "Oh, bullSH!T!" I yelled at the screen. I've never seen top-quality sprinters top 45mph...no way a route horse is cracking 50mph. No way. Where'd they get that figure?

The other thing I don't get is no one ever mentioned what his named meant--it's French for grapefruit. I find that hilarious, but maybe the Jockeys producers thought it was too comical. But c'mon, that Santa Anita Derby press conference they showed with Baffert, Canani, and company--everyone had a grapefruit! Come ON! Roll with the gag!

Ah well. Here's hoping my favorite equine citrus fruit is healing well.

iloverocky
Sep. 19, 2009, 08:03 PM
I met him a few months ago at Santa Anita, and he's at least 17 hands. Beautiful colt, and had a nice personality. Julio was up to his usual tricks, telling the somewhat naive people I was with that The Pamplemousse would make an excellent CANTER prospect- Julio thought he would make a good jumper. They weren't familiar with how good of a horse The Pamplemousse was, and thought Julio was serious about potentially listing him. :D

Lucky you! The Mousse was my favorite Derby horse this year, and his injury broke my heart. Anyway, has he just stayed on the track during his recovery or had he gone to a layup facility for at least part of the recovery?

Cammie
Sep. 19, 2009, 08:27 PM
Anyway, has he just stayed on the track during his recovery or had he gone to a layup facility for at least part of the recovery?

He was with the rest of Julio's string at his barn in Hollywood Park when I saw him. I don't know whether he has been with Julio all along, or whether he was sent off to a lay-up facility at any point. He was wrapped when I saw him, but nothing out of the ordinary from what I could see. He looked good, and was pleased to be getting attention from everyone. :)

If you ever go on the backside of Hollywood Park, just go to Julio's barn. He'll drag you right over to see The Pamplemousse as soon as you walk in. :lol:

iloverocky
Sep. 20, 2009, 08:17 AM
If you ever go on the backside of Hollywood Park, just go to Julio's barn. He'll drag you right over to see The Pamplemousse as soon as you walk in. :lol:

:lol: I wish I had some business on the Hollywood backside, but I have none.

flaggy
Sep. 20, 2009, 07:07 PM
I was watching "Jockeys" earlier tonight and there was a big thing on The Pamplemousse. What an incredible looking horse. Being as the Santa Anita was quite a few months ago, does anyone know how he is doing now? Is his tendon better and is he back in training, and will he be racing soon, or are they waiting until next year? He really looks like a horse to keep your eye on.

He's back in Julio's barn at Santa Anita. My sister is one of the lucky ones who gets to see him often and feed him lots of carrots! She saw him yesterday and said he looks fabulous.

iloverocky
Sep. 20, 2009, 08:39 PM
He's back in Julio's barn at Santa Anita. My sister is one of the lucky ones who gets to see him often and feed him lots of carrots! She saw him yesterday and said he looks fabulous.

So did he leave Julio's barn at some point? Did he go to a layup facility for awhile? Final question (hopefully, but I really LOVE this horse and information about his progress hasn't been regular), is the thought still that his tentative return to racing will be next summer, or will it be sooner or later?

flaggy
Sep. 21, 2009, 09:15 AM
So did he leave Julio's barn at some point? Did he go to a layup facility for awhile? Final question (hopefully, but I really LOVE this horse and information about his progress hasn't been regular), is the thought still that his tentative return to racing will be next summer, or will it be sooner or later?

I don't want to divulge anything that may have been said in confidence so hopefully the people that manage The Pamplemousse, i.e., the trainer and owners will release a statement now that he's back at the track.

justalittlex
Sep. 21, 2009, 07:59 PM
So glad to read this thread. I haven't been able to see the Jockeys show other than the first episode which I found on line. I was so crazy over this horse- what a beauty. Was just sickened on Santa Anita Derby day when his injury was announced.

Somewhere I read he did go off for rehab. Best source for videos of him has been Mary Forney's blog.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 24, 2009, 03:46 PM
The aforementioned Mary Forney website: who visited him 9-23-09 with video (http://maryforney.blogspot.com/2009/09/visit-with.html)

Tentative plans call for a trip north for "The Mousse," where he could spend some time in the snow -- a remedy for tendon problems such as the one he suffered.

Snow? I can only imagine snow anywhere in CA won't be around for at least another month or so. As such a return to the track in 2009 is not likely whatsoever in case people though maybe a Dec return could happen. Maybe he'll be back (although who knows if he'll be competitively ready) for the Strub Series at Santa Anita.

Cammie
Nov. 18, 2010, 10:14 PM
Not exactly a surprise since he was shelved for so long...

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/59968/the-pamplemousse-to-rancho-san-miguel

justalittlex
Nov. 18, 2010, 10:37 PM
I was so sorry to read this today.

anon123456
Nov. 22, 2010, 08:51 PM
I was just thinking about him a few weeks ago. Hopefully there will be plenty of little "mice" running in the years to come. He was my favorite for the Derby, cant believe its been nearly 2 years already

Lynnwood
Nov. 22, 2010, 09:01 PM
I was just thinking about him a few weeks ago. Hopefully there will be plenty of little "mice" running in the years to come. He was my favorite for the Derby, cant believe its been nearly 2 years already

I'm pretty sure his name means grape fruit <3

WhiteCamry
Nov. 23, 2010, 11:28 AM
I'm pretty sure his name means grape fruit <3
That's what Freetranslation (http://www.freetranslation.com/) says.

equinedriver
Nov. 23, 2010, 11:42 AM
Well, I am sure most won't appreciate this comment but this practice of the racing industry automatically breeding horses that break down on the track is a huge source of the problem for me.

I have bred dogs for more than 25 years. A different thing I realize, but I castrated the top winning dog in the history of my breed (who still is and he was shown in the early 80's) at the age of 3 because of a genetic problem I discovered. Very painful to do and many other breeders were actually angry, but it was in the best interest of the breed.

When are race horse breeders going to start factoring SOUNDNESS into the equation?????????

Drvmb1ggl3
Nov. 23, 2010, 12:58 PM
When they start giving out prize money for soundness..... "No 1 won the race, but we're going to give the big check to no.5 who finished 7th beaten 22 lengths, because he's raced 77 times over the last 6 years"..... yeah, don't see that taking off.

Bartlett's "Bleeding" Childers, bled so bad that he couldn't even race. Just about every horse in the planet goes back to him, including all the tough "sound" ones.
Tetrarch, didn't make it past his 2yo year. Didn't stop him being a leading sire, esp the sire of Mumtaz Mahal... jeez, where would the TB breed be without her?
Blandford, broke down on the track, became a leading sire of the last century. He sired Blenheim, who won the Derby in breathtaking fashion, then proceeded to breakdown in both legs a month later. He became possibly the most important sire in the US of the first half of the twentieth century after Bull Hancock imported him. He sired none other than the iron horse himself, Whirlaway.
Bold Ruler brokedown at Belmont. He did alright at stud if I remember correctly.

If you go over to the sporthorse forum you'll see people waxing polemically about how they like to see some, if not all, those horses I just mentioned when they look at a TB pedigree. Go figure.

I suppose though, you have to give kudos to the TB breeders, they didn't use that crock, Cottage Son, who didn't even last one race before he broke down. Wonder what ever became of him anyway??? Anyone know?

LaurieB
Nov. 23, 2010, 02:04 PM
Well, I am sure most won't appreciate this comment but this practice of the racing industry automatically breeding horses that break down on the track is a huge source of the problem for me.

Seriously that one of the silliest statements I've ever read. Yeah, that's what we're doing: we're breeding for horses that break down. The desire for breakdowns is so engrained in us that it's an automatic choice.

I guess every horse that breaks down on the track is its breeder's fault. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with training practices, or surface issues or even taking a bad step.

There are thousands upon thousands of TBs that race every single year without breaking down. How come nobody ever mentions those horses in their rants? Oh yeah, I forgot: it's because those horses don't support the theory that TB breeders are idiots.