PDA

View Full Version : blocking feet

Gustav
Sep. 18, 2009, 06:17 PM
How common is it to block feet for racing?

EquineRacers
Sep. 18, 2009, 06:50 PM
Very, well I guess it would depend on what kind of relationship you have with your vet. Its illegal for us, but that doesn't stop certain trainers and vets. I'm not for it, if you need to block you havn't gotton the problem under control!

mintano
Sep. 18, 2009, 07:30 PM
Do you mean blocking or nerving?

Gustav
Sep. 18, 2009, 07:42 PM
Well, I was referring to blocking (with Sarapin for example) but I am also interested how common nerving is.
TIA

sk_pacer
Sep. 18, 2009, 09:17 PM
Freezing feet is illegal, at least the ingredients of most common freezes are on the Ag Canada restricted list.

Laurierace
Sep. 18, 2009, 09:34 PM
Blocking with serapin is pretty rare. I know they blocked Fu Peg before the Preakness but that's about it. Painting soles with foot freeze of some sort is almost 100% of the time. Nerving is even rarer than blocking.

SleepyFox
Sep. 19, 2009, 09:46 AM
Blocking the feet is not all that uncommon. Depends a lot on who the vet is. Some vets are only willing to do it a few days out from the race.

Nerving has to be declared but is still done. Not as much as it used to be, though and not all vets are keen to do it. Nerving is a last-ditch effort.

Muleskick
Sep. 20, 2009, 12:59 AM
Blocking with serapin is pretty rare. I know they blocked Fu Peg before the Preakness but that's about it. Painting soles with foot freeze of some sort is almost 100% of the time. Nerving is even rarer than blocking.

Actually here serapin is the block of choice and it is very common here. Hard track plus alot of pavement equals alot of sore feet.

Laurierace
Sep. 20, 2009, 09:06 AM
The reason it isn't done very often here isn't for moral reasons, it just doesn't work very well. If they let you block with lidocaine or something effective like that then I am sure a lot more people would try it, but not serapin. Right now the most effective treatments for sore feet are topicals like foot freeze or magic cushion.

Gustav
Sep. 20, 2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks for your answers so far. It seems that some vets believe Sarapin doesn't do much of anything and others think it does work. I was told that Sarapin is mixed with steroids as well. What about Ammonium Sulfate? Does anyone still use that?

Jessi P
Sep. 20, 2009, 03:54 PM
Yes, I have seen vets block feet here at MNR with Serapin quite often.