PDA

View Full Version : Leg swinging

skyy
Sep. 18, 2009, 03:16 PM
When I ride with my stirrups at my hacking length, my legs swing. Not horribly, mind you, but enough to be noticeable and to give my ISH a rub when he is in the "inbetween coats" stage of growing hair. When I put them up to my jumping length (1 hole which is really a half hole on most leathers) my leg stays really still. I ride without stirrups about once a week (WTC). What do you think this means? Do I just need to ride without stirrups more to make my legs more solid or is the hacking length just too long for me? I don't feel like I have to reach for my stirrups but I certainly do have them jostle around a little more on my foot than I would like when they are longer.

meupatdoes
Sep. 18, 2009, 04:19 PM
I would spend some more time cantering around in your two point.

I started focusing on dressage and after four months of coasting around in a bucket sitting the trot I attempted to canter around in my two point for 10 minutes and nearly died.

I believe the two point is best to correct a swinging leg because in order to HOLD the two point, the lower leg HAS to stay still.

JinxyFish313
Sep. 18, 2009, 05:27 PM
Agreed with the above poster. I've also found with some of my students that weak core muscles result in a swinging leg. The two point helps with that too, but so do lots of different workouts between rides.

No stirrup work is of course always helpful. Sometimes I will put a student with a bad leg swing on a horse that is particularly hard to sit on at the canter and take away the stirrups. They learn to keep that leg still pretty quickly since the alternative is sliding right off the side.