PDA

View Full Version : Another "which bridle" thread!

Pleased_As_Punch
Sep. 18, 2009, 09:49 AM
I'd like to buy a new bridle for the horse I'm going to be leasing. I'd like to pay under $100 and I'd like, of course, the best quality for the $$$. I will be using this one bridle for schooling and for a handful of local shows.

Simplest answer seems the Smartpak Plymouth. But maybe I should pay $50 more and spring for the Harwich ($109) or their Collegiate ($104). Note: I am not limited to ordering from SmartPak. Just trying to get some general ideas. And I guess I want to know if the extra $50 is worth it to go from "Plymouth level" to ""Harwich level".

Sparky Boy
Sep. 18, 2009, 09:52 AM
I ordered the Harwich and thought it was very nice quality for the money. Had to send it back though because it didn't fit. Also, the color wasn't dark enough for me so I decided to keep looking.

spmoonie
Sep. 18, 2009, 10:42 AM
Consider buying a used high end bridle. Check Ebay! :)

Pleased_As_Punch
Sep. 18, 2009, 12:00 PM
Meh, don't really want to buy used as a) I'm in a bit of a hurry and don't want to wait for an auction to close and b) I have a bit of concern with wear & tear & fit. In other words I want to be able to return the darn thing!

Renn/aissance
Sep. 18, 2009, 01:04 PM
There used to be a seller on eBay selling Jaguar bridles as a buy-it-now option for around $100. Not sure if she is still around. Not sure if it was real Jaguar, either, but my sister has one and it's a nice bridle.

Bobby's makes good tack in that price range as well.

Also look at the HDR Americana line.

Check The Bridle Guide on The Outside Course for more information: http://s8.zetaboards.com/The_Outside_Course/topic/212498/1/

SkipChange
Sep. 18, 2009, 01:35 PM
I bought a Collegiate (square raised, plain) for my pony 5 years ago and it is very soft, supple leather and a beautiful dark color. A kid at my barn just bought a collegiate fancy stitched and it is nice looking but the leather isn't as butter soft as mine (of course it has been oiled and loved for 5 years). I love Collegiate for small ponies as it is one of the better ones for fitting Smalls

Trevelyan96
Sep. 18, 2009, 11:21 PM
I think the Dover Circuit bridles are lovely. Trav's was a square raised and it held up beautifully for schooling and show. I think I paid $129 for it about 8 years ago.

Rico's dressage bridle is actually a Circuit Eventer flash bridle in Black, and it also is great quality.

We got a free Pessoa hunter bridle with DD's saddle. That was a piece of crap.

maudie
Sep. 18, 2009, 11:27 PM
I just bought a Kincade bridle set for 80. It matches my saddle and has gotten decently supple through rolling and oiling. When I first got it (on saturday) it was pretty stiff, but I think with time it will soften nicely.

I know Kincade might not be the most popular brand, but for my purposes it works just fine. I only need a bridle once a month for shows (the ones at the lesson barn are the Nylon clip on style) so it doesn't make sense for me to spend 200+ on a bridle. I only ride once a week, so the Kincade saddle works for that as well.

Hope I helped :)

Gracious
Sep. 18, 2009, 11:39 PM
One of my clients recently bought the Harwich and another bought the Plymouth. The Plymouth is a nice bridle but I was super impressed with the Harwich.