PDA

View Full Version : How do you wear your hair ?

mandalea
Sep. 18, 2009, 06:10 AM
Just wondering, how do you wear your hair ? The same for all 3 phases, or different for each one ?

I've recently cut my hair short (about 1 - 2 months ago) and have found it impossible to put it how I use to !

I use to braid it, then put it in a bun at the nape of my neck. Now, because it is layered, the braid falls apart, and there is nothing to put in a bun !

Now, all I can do is put it in a low ponytail for Dressage and stadium, and just a normal ponytail under my helmet for xc.

lwk
Sep. 18, 2009, 06:36 AM
I have mine short enough that all I have to do is put on my helmet.

That medium length hair is a real pain. I used to french braid it around my head.

tbeventer
Sep. 18, 2009, 06:47 AM
I also cut my hair a month or so ago and it's the medium length. For dressage I put it in a low pony/bun and for xc and show jumping, I get it all in my helmet. I used to wear it in a little braid for XC and put it in my helmet for show jumping, but it's just too short for that now. I'd cut it all off and do a faux-hawk, but then none of my helmets would fit.

deltawave
Sep. 18, 2009, 08:01 AM
Mine's very short so I don't have to do anything, but you can always just stuff it under a hairnet. (I almost typed "haynet", hee hee)

luise
Sep. 18, 2009, 08:04 AM
My hair is just above my shoulders and layered. for dressage and stadium I put a hairnet on, then ponytail, and flip it up under my helmet. What I call "modified hunter hair." For XC I just put it in a small pony tail that sticks out.

Ajierene
Sep. 18, 2009, 08:34 AM
My hair is currently down to about the middle of my back and I french braid it, then tuck the excess under for dressage. I take the excess out for stadium and cross country, as it is more comfortable.

Lucky_Break
Sep. 18, 2009, 09:15 AM
This is a major struggle for me. My hair is T-H-I-C-K and down to my butt. Getting it in a helmet is just not going to happen.

For dressage and stadium I braid it and flip it up under itself (sort of a lobster tail style) then clip it into a show bow. That is a real PIA I'll tell you, because the nets not that big and cramming my braid into it is... ARGH!

For cross country I leave it braided, but no show bow (even braided my hair is half way down my back).

hunter-eventer-hunter
Sep. 18, 2009, 10:01 AM
My Hair is just at the nape of my neck and layered. Pony tail not happening, but it is too long to not be contained.

So Two hair nets, my hair is so fine that is sticks out of one. And then I put my helment on back to front. It works really well and looks like hunter hair.

RiverBendPol
Sep. 18, 2009, 10:32 AM
Mine used to be short enough it only needed a hairnet. Now the locks come to my shoulders. I stuff it into a hairnet then gather all of it up into an elastic for a little lumpy sort of pony tail at the base of my neck.
One of my pet peeves is flapping ponytails. To me, hair needs to be tied up tight! :winkgrin:

Heinz 57
Sep. 18, 2009, 11:36 AM
Am I the only one that does hunter hair?

My hair is long, down to about the middle of my back. And its layered, and I have some side bangs. A couple bobby pins and two hair nets later, voila. Hunter hair. :)

I don't have much choice, honestly - a long, messy braid (messy thanks to all the layers!) would look terrible, especially for dressage/stadium. As would the giant bun that this amount of hair would produce!

Then again, I also wear fun-colored coats and ratcatchers, and do hunter braids; maybe I have a secret desire to cross over and do both! ;)

Jazzy Lady
Sep. 18, 2009, 11:51 AM
I do my version of hunter hair. Put on hairnet then tie into a low pony with hair over the top of my ears. Flip up, put on another hair net and put on helmet. Away we go. Sometimes it requires some bobby pins to keep the hairnets from coming out the sides.

Bobthehorse
Sep. 18, 2009, 01:21 PM
Hair net, pony tail, and tuck the tail up into my helmet. I HATE having the hair over my ears, so I tuck it in behind.

Its a little longer than shoulder length, and layered a LOT. Sometimes little bits fall out of my hairnet even.

Ridingstar
Sep. 18, 2009, 03:01 PM
I do hunter hair with two hairnets for all three phases and for every other time I ride for that matter!

Zephyr
Sep. 18, 2009, 03:14 PM
This may be a dumb question, but what is "hunter hair?" I've heard of "hunter patties" where the bangs hang down in loops in the hairnet between your ear and forehead on both sides.

I recently switched to a hair net over my bunned braid after hearing that show bows are "tacky and outdated." Eek! I'd been using them since the early 90's.

Lucky_Break
Sep. 18, 2009, 03:47 PM
I recently switched to a hair net over my bunned braid after hearing that show bows are "tacky and outdated." Eek! I'd been using them since the early 90's.

UGH! Guess I will be tacky and outdated! LOL what's a girl to do?!

Zephyr
Sep. 18, 2009, 03:53 PM
UGH! Guess I will be tacky and outdated! LOL what's a girl to do?!

Well, technically the article was about hunter flat classes at AQHA/APHA shows, so we can pretend it doesn't apply to eventing :D

Petstorejunkie
Sep. 18, 2009, 07:12 PM
my hair used to be down to my butt, and when it was i would braid it, and then sew it like a plait in mane.
i chopped it all off and now have boy length hair. omg life is so much easier, ... and i stay cooler :cool:

kookicat
Sep. 18, 2009, 07:32 PM
Mine is thick, and halfway down my back. I plait it, and put into a bun. I'd need to go a size bigger in my helmet if I wanted to tuck it under, and the though of riding in a helmet that doesn't fit properly gives me the chills.

sch1star
Sep. 18, 2009, 08:30 PM
I agree with kooki and will never, while dodging Polly, sacrifice knowingly on helmet fit. It goes in the nasty outdated bow thingy for D and sj, and it's in a regular old ponytail for xc! I looovvve my J3 and I don't want it to fit any differently, not a bit.

Lucky_Break
Sep. 18, 2009, 09:24 PM
Well, technically the article was about hunter flat classes at AQHA/APHA shows, so we can pretend it doesn't apply to eventing :D

Thanks for that. I feel better, but still suspect I am a little 'out of fashion'. Good thing the judges are looking more at my horse then my hair. :yes:

maudie
Sep. 18, 2009, 11:45 PM
I buy a set of riding hairnets.

What I do is let my hair down and put the 1st net over all of my hair and tucking it under lunch-lady style. Then I use an elastic to make a ponytail over the net and hair. After that I put my 2nd hairnet over all of it and tuck it up into my helmet. I do this for all 3 phases :)

oldenmare
Sep. 20, 2009, 12:29 PM
I have medium length hair with long layers and long layered bangs. I wear it the same every time I ride regardless of discipline.

I twist it up in a french twist and clip it to top of head (where helmet will fit over comfortably - takes a little clip adjustment to find right spot initially. Smooth bangs back - net over it all (but behind ears) - helmet and Voila! Done in under 10 seonds. Stays put - layers and all.