PDA

View Full Version : Barn A or Barn B?

horsecollector
Sep. 17, 2009, 11:15 PM
What would you do if you really liked your current trainer/barn/fellow boarders at barn A but the program offered wasn't really working for you? Board at barn A is pretty expensive but we don't have an indoor so riding is hit and miss when the weather gets bad. Factor in the lack of daylight in the fall/ winter and riding after work or in the early am is impossible. Second problem is that barn A goes to FL and I am one of a few that can not. Third problem is that there are some shows that I really want to go to but trainer has not been receptive to going or finding someone for me to tag along with. Care at barn A is GREAT and I really like everyone there but the facility could be better (indoor!). Barn B is a larger farm with an indoor and less expensive, but no trainer and the care is good but not the same. I could trailer in for lessons if I moved. I like a lot of the people at barn B also. Ideally I would like to move to barn B so I could actually ride consistently this winter, trailer in for lessons, go to the shows with current trainer that are on her schedule, and find someone to meet up with at the other shows. Am I being a pain in the neck client? I just hate being left home in the winter to ride alone outside in terrible weather and miss some shows I would really like to attend during the season. Any opinions?

gottagrey
Sep. 18, 2009, 12:10 AM
What would you do if you really liked your current trainer/barn/fellow boarders at barn A but the program offered wasn't really working for you? Board at barn A is pretty expensive but we don't have an indoor so riding is hit and miss when the weather gets bad. Factor in the lack of daylight in the fall/ winter and riding after work or in the early am is impossible. Second problem is that barn A goes to FL and I am one of a few that can not. Third problem is that there are some shows that I really want to go to but trainer has not been receptive to going or finding someone for me to tag along with. Care at barn A is GREAT and I really like everyone there but the facility could be better (indoor!). Barn B is a larger farm with an indoor and less expensive, but no trainer and the care is good but not the same. I could trailer in for lessons if I moved. I like a lot of the people at barn B also. Ideally I would like to move to barn B so I could actually ride consistently this winter, trailer in for lessons, go to the shows with current trainer that are on her schedule, and find someone to meet up with at the other shows. Am I being a pain in the neck client? I just hate being left home in the winter to ride alone outside in terrible weather and miss some shows I would really like to attend during the season. Any opinions?

Sounds like you've already answered your question... if you have a trailer and can go back to Barn A then I would opt for that. You are Not being a pain in the neck client you are trying to be a good client by improving your riding. If you are not getting what you want 12 months of the year,then perhaps a move to another barn is the right thing. Certainly if trainer is in FL for 4-6 months out of the year - you are paying for them but they aren't there to help you.

I would try and keep it as cool and pleasant as possible should you move- you might not like barn B and might want to go back - you dont' want to burn that bridge. At the same time, hopefully Barn A trainer will feel the same - meaning don't be mean/resentful towards you because you're leaving for a place w/ a indoor because you might want to return. Keep it friendly. If trainer A becomes a jerk, then good riddance

Good luck to you

Ty2003
Sep. 18, 2009, 08:16 AM
Move to barn B! :) I'm actually boarding at this type of barn now and looove it. They have an indoor, great boarders, great care and my horses are happy as clams. But there is no show trainer on staff. I actually prefer that because I can choose who I want to ride with...right now I trailer to a big show barn about ten minutes away. It's perfect because I don't feel obligated to pay for extra things at the show barn since I'm not a boarder (i.e. they require weekly lessons). Although I do usually take a lesson every week, it's not a big deal if I have to miss one. I'm also boarding a farm with better facilities than the show barn...for $200 less per month. The other thing that makes me happy is that if, for some reason, I ever want to switch trainers, I won't have to actually move my horses, which can be stressful. I can just start shipping in to another show barn. I feel like I have the best of both worlds ;)

TalkIsCheap
Sep. 18, 2009, 08:20 AM
No, you are not being a pain in the neck. As you describe it, the current program does not jive with your needs. It's that simple.

List your needs, list the services each place provides, then match up the one that meets your needs the most.

It's a business, not a sorority.

NeverEnd
Sep. 18, 2009, 09:40 AM
Barn B absolutely!

I'm in the same predicament for winter - no indoor, no lights, and only option is to ride after work. LOVE the barn and the people, but winter riding is nearly impossible during the weekday. But, I don't have other boarding options.

Like TalkIsCheap said, it's not a sorority, go with what most suits your needs. We pay a lot of $$ to have our horses, and so we should get the MOST out of it!

Good luck!

Lucassb
Sep. 18, 2009, 09:53 AM
I recently had to make that same choice when my trainer moved to a new barn - with no indoor. Unfortunately there was quite a bit of drama between trainer and the BO, and almost all the clients went with the trainer to the new place - so all my riding buddies are gone, too. However, although I miss my friends and the barn management my trainer provided, the new facility just wouldn't allow me to actually RIDE on a consistent basis, especially since it is now starting to get dark so early in the evenings.

I can ship in to the trainer at her new barn on weekends and can also ship out to other trainers, clinics, etc which works fine for me at the moment. If you have a truck and trailer and can get your training that way, I'd say you will probably be happier at the facility with the indoor.

BuddyRoo
Sep. 18, 2009, 09:53 AM
Let's look at the problems that could be solved/created...

Your issues now:

No indoor. Could be solved at barn B

Trainer won't come to shows you want. Not solved at Barn B, no trainer. You still need to find a trainer to help you.

Crew leaves for FL and you're alone. Barn B may have more people around in the winter...maybe not if they're not into competition as seriously as Barn A.

Care. Barn A has stellar care. Barn B has good care. My question would be...how good? Safe? Happy horses? Good footing? Pasture? Turnout?

While I'd love to compete, I'm not in a position to do so...so my main priorities are care and a place to ride. Having to haul to lessons has typically netted me less lessons, so having a trainer on site is great. BUT, if they're gone half the year or you can't ride due to weather, then maybe finding a trainer that you CAN haul into would be a good option.

Good luck!

SOTB
Sep. 18, 2009, 10:52 AM
Neither option sounds great, but if you're comfortable with the care at Barn B you might want to go there for the winter at least. Do you have your own trailer? I used to haul my horse to a trainer once a week for lessons and it worked out really well.

horsecollector
Sep. 18, 2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the advice! I definitely don't want to burn any bridges. I really like everyone there (barn a), but the time constraints and weather are going to be a big issue. The care at barn b is fine, just not the same as an A show barn's full care. Barn B is groom yourself, tack yourself, clean your own stuff, where barn a does all of that for you. I don't mind doing that stuff ;) Barn B is actually full all year round so I would have lots of people to ride with. I have a truck and trailer so I can move them around for training. I just don't want to have any hard feelings with my trainer if I move and if i want to do some different shows. It gets pretty cold and rainy here during the winter, and its pretty hard to ride in the dark :eek: So i guess I know that barn B is a much better fit as far as riding goes, I just wanted to know if I was like the worlds worst client for wanting to kinda do my own thing sometimes. Like I said I really like everyone involved so I am going to try my best not to hurt any feelings or ruffle feathers.

Giddy-up
Sep. 18, 2009, 12:28 PM
If your current trainer doesn't understand that the lack of a indoor to ride or them leaving for FL for several months a year doesn't work for your riding goals, than perhaps this isn't the trainer for you.

Talk with trainer about becoming a trailer in client & if they are willing to work with that type of arrangement. They may be more receptive than you think.

I would be moving to Barn B, but I have always boarded a Barn B type places & shipped in for lessons or showing myself so that's what I am comfortable with.

Mukluk
Sep. 18, 2009, 01:18 PM
Comment from the low budget set...

Wow- I can't imagine boarding at a place that grooms, tacks, and cleans your stuff! I think I'd really like the cleaning your stuff part. But grooming and tacking up are an important part of the relationship with my horse. Still, I can imagine if I were really pressed for time that could be handy on occasion.

Best of luck to you... seems like Barn B would be your better option since you would be able to ride more! And if it doesn't work out, you could move back to barn A (at least I hope you could!).

SkipChange
Sep. 18, 2009, 01:20 PM
It's a business, not a sorority.

:lol: Funny, but very true.

JumpWithPanache
Sep. 18, 2009, 01:27 PM
Sounds like Barn B is the way to go for you. Hopefully trainer will be mature enough to understand it as a better fit for your year-round needs and be happy to keep you as a ship-in client. Are you comfortable attending local type shows sans trainer with maybe just a helper to polish your boots before going in?

I am currently at a Barn B with great care and decent facilities for a great price, plus it's five minutes from my house. I ship in to Barn A for lessons on a weekly basis. Boarding there would be awesome but doesn't fit my needs for being close nor is it in my current budget. I work 30 minutes (on a good day) "south" of my house, Barn A is 35-45 minutes "north" of my house. Ends up being a very long drive if I did it every day. So I compromise. I am quite happy working on my own during the week, taking the lesson, and showing on my own. In fact, I'm usually alone going to shows... it's nice to be on my own time schedule :winkgrin:.

Trevelyan96
Sep. 18, 2009, 11:25 PM
Sounds to me like barn B will meet your needs better at this time. Indoors make life bearable in summer heat, winter cold, and the rainy seasons in between. :D

DancingQueen
Sep. 19, 2009, 01:54 AM
Helloo! Indoor ring compared to everybody else heading south in the winter and you staying home seems pretty much like given to me.
Not sure where you live though, but up here in NJ winter is not always a picnic. *brrrr*

I'd go with the indoor if you think you will loose more then a month of riding combined and ship out for lessons or pay a little extra for privates at your new place as long as they didn't mind.

I also don't like that you can't go to the shows you want to go to. If there's a heavy show schedule at the barn and you miss out because you are on vacation and then decide that you want to go to a show when you come back that every body else has decided to take a pass on, then I can't really see your issue. But if you state well in advance that you can't go to the bigger shows but would like to squeeze in some one days and you are still rejected then what is the use?

Perhaps you will be better off at the lowkey barn with the indoor and not trainer. Find your own trainer and go to your own little shows.

TalkIsCheap
Sep. 19, 2009, 08:45 AM
Barn B is groom yourself, tack yourself, clean your own stuff, where barn a does all of that for you.

Oh my. By not doing this yourself, you are crippling yourself as a horse owner. Move and and be as hands on as much as you can. Learn as much as you can. Because one day, it might happen that you will be sleeping in the tack room monitoring your horse with colic, and no one else will be holding your hand.

findeight
Sep. 19, 2009, 09:14 AM
Oh my. By not doing this yourself, you are crippling yourself as a horse owner. Move and and be as hands on as much as you can. Learn as much as you can. Because one day, it might happen that you will be sleeping in the tack room monitoring your horse with colic, and no one else will be holding your hand.

Um...sorry, that's a bunch of bull.

The assumption anybody choosing full care is ignorant or lazy crops up on here frequently. It also ignores the little fact that if an owner is an adult working a full time career type job and/or has family obligations (like babies at home), there will be NOBODY sleeping in that tack room...in fact nobody will even know it's sick. There is nothing worse then getting a phone call when here is no way you can get there (as in out of town or home alone with a sick baby and a 3 year old at 10pm) telling you your horse is sick, you need to get there.

We filter through our own experiences and sometimes don't stop to think what others have to deal with in caring for their horses. Full care can be the best choice for working adults or college students or those with limited barn time.

Anyway, this OP needs to move to barn B and trailer to barn A...if and when trainer is in town. Or pick barn C-there must be something within an hour or so of where OP lives.

horsecollector
Sep. 19, 2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks findeight. I see what you are saying talkischeap, but I am capable of taking care of the horses (did it for years before current situation). I think that barn B is going to be the only feasible option if I want to ride at all. I am in the NE and it gets cold, windy, and gross here! I understand what many of you have suggested about local shows, but I currently do the A's and would like to keep it that way. To clarify the trainer does MOST of the shows I want to, there are just a few that I would really like to do without offending trainer. The issue is mostly with the fact that riding is going to be impossible soon. Ideally I would like to move to B, trailer to A for lessons when trainer is here, join A for shows that they attend, and meet up with someone for a couple of shows. Does that sound reasonable? Am I asking too much from trainer A?

findeight
Sep. 20, 2009, 11:17 AM
Not at all...cannot imagine there would be any kind of problem.

Many, many trainers, even top names, will take haul ins and meet at shows. When they have a prior relationship and have had the horse/rider in their home barn, it's even less likely any objection will be made.

If there is, THEN you know you need another trainer.