PDA

View Full Version : anyone practicing tai chi

nhwr
Sep. 17, 2009, 10:05 PM
I have been practicing yoga for years but in the last couple of months I have started doing tai chi (or more correctly tai ji). It started out as a martial art but has evolved into something else, sound familiar? Energy spirals, balance and transitions? I am amazed about the overlap with dressage.

I think it has impacted my competitive nature, but my riding is better. And I have a lot more respect for what my horses do with me on their backs :yes:

Is anybody else doing this?

slc2
Sep. 17, 2009, 11:05 PM
I used to. Really recommend people consider it in connection with dressage. Wonderful thing to do.

Bogey2
Sep. 18, 2009, 07:51 AM
I did Tai Chi for years and now do strengthening yoga because it has helped me keep my back issues at bay.

Alexie
Sep. 18, 2009, 10:22 AM
you must read sally swift and her centred riding book :) it will make sense to you

goeslikestink
Sep. 18, 2009, 12:09 PM
you must read sally swift and her centred riding book :) it will make sense to you

apt name dont you think so alexie

Dune
Sep. 18, 2009, 12:46 PM
Used to, now I do more yoga/Pilates.

Alexie
Sep. 18, 2009, 06:49 PM
apt name dont you think so alexie

to be honest with you GLS i read it some good few years ago and got the wrong end of the stick i think.
I lent it to someone and never got it back so i can't review it now after i've had some small amount of proper education, and see what went wrong.

what do you think of the book? i'd be interested to know :)

Carol Ames
Sep. 19, 2009, 12:37 AM
I used to, and would like to do it :yes:again; Sally swift recommended it; and we had a group; in class together :cool:in Leesburg; I would love to find a class for the disabled, though , I'm not sure how it would work since, I don't yet stand independently:sadsmile:, only, when I have something or someone:cool::lol: to hold onto.

Blkarab
Sep. 21, 2009, 12:48 PM
James Shaw has a wonderful program that incorporates Tai Chi with riding. I've attended many of his clinics and walked away with far more than I ever hoped. He works with several top level dressage trainers as well as top level riders from all disciplines.

He has a great book "Riding from Within" and if you go to his website, he also has a DVD series out now that is fabulous. Goes through the exercises and is geared to where you can go through them too. Most of the beneficial work starts from the ground and then is transferred to the horse. You will be amazed.