PDA

View Full Version : remember my grand reward colt that I gelded?

doublete
Sep. 17, 2009, 08:48 PM
He started racing, and finished 2nd in his first ever start. I was SO proud of him! It was only at Timonium for $25,000 claiming, but he behaved like a prince, finished like a champion, and I couldn't have been more pleased. He's really not a 4 furlong horse, but that's all they had and it was a good first experience for him. He was perfect in the paddock, perfect for the pony (she actually said he is now her favorite horse), perfect in the gate even when the horse two away from him started shaking the gate, and broke sharply, also went up the inside when asked by the rider who thank goodness trusted me when I told him I've schooled the horse to go through holes, and have put him where he'll get dirt in his face. I bought him as a yearling, broke him myself, did all of his gate schooling and getting his gate card myself, and worked him all but a few times myself.

I've noticed the Grand Rewards are doing pretty well too! I really couldn't be happier with my Mid Atlantic sale purchase from last year. In his race that day the winner was a Grand Reward as well.. What are the odds of that?

I've been trying to enter him in a turf race going 5 1/2 furlongs, but it hasn't gone so far. I have such high hopes for this boy, and he is officially spoiled rotten. His jockey even feeds him cookies (he has a bag of ginger snaps by his stall). And fights with me over who will get on him in the morning. I got to work him yesterday though! Ha!

I just had to share.. small victories, but oh so wonderful!!!

My other yearling purchases haven't been quite so good. My Fantasticat came up with a shin in her first start which I wasn't terribly happy about, but she's a big horse so giving her time to grow is not the worst thing in the world. My Leroidesanimaux is still at the farm growing and I won't even start her training till probably November. And my Alex's Pal has run, but she is one of those slow as molasses ones that needs a distance race and they just don't write mile races for 2 year olds.

foundationmare
Sep. 17, 2009, 09:01 PM
Congratulations Doublete, You've done very well!! I'm convinced that excellent ground work/breaking when horses are youngsters is 90% of their success on the racetrack. Appears that you've done your job!

I have a yearling filly who will be broke soon although I'm not anxious to get her into serious training. She's a late baby (April 10) and I've never been an advocate of 2 y.o. races. She's a beautiful, correct, classy gal and I'm going to give her lots of time to develop before I think about starting her. I'm excited about her potential and future and will do right by her.

Good luck with your youngster. He's got the goods and the foundation to make you proud! I'll be anxious to hear updates.

doublete
Sep. 17, 2009, 09:05 PM
Thanks! I've never been a pro 2y/o racing either, but these guys kind of just established themselves as ready.
This boy had been telling me for a long time that he was ready to run, although I didn't plan on starting him until fall. He just presented himself and said "Mom... it's time to race!".

Good luck with your kid!

Laurierace
Sep. 17, 2009, 09:06 PM
Congratulations! As suspected it sounds like he made a great gelding. I hope he goes on from there and makes you even prouder.

Las Olas
Sep. 18, 2009, 01:21 PM
Congrats, Doublete! I just received the entry for my 2yo Even The Score colt to make his 1st start at PID on Wednesday. It's very exciting/rewarding when youv'e raised and started them yourself.

Pat Ness
Sep. 18, 2009, 01:52 PM
Very fun and much more satisfying when you have done most of the preparation getting your horses there yourself. Nice to know there is a place for small time trainers/owners in the business. Thank you for sharing.
Pat Ness