View Full Version : Question on copper trim on bridle

Sep. 17, 2009, 08:48 PM
I bought an attractive black dressage bridle with copper trim on the brow band and nose band.

I was thinking of a bit that showed a bit of copper at the corners of the mouth ... the rings are always stainless steel in every bit I have looked at.

The buckles on this bridle are copper.

So I need guidance on bit choices I should be considering.

Sep. 17, 2009, 09:16 PM
Check out the Herm Sprenger Aurigan bits. Some have stainless steel cheeks, but some are entirely made of aurigan.

Sep. 17, 2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks. I will track those bits down.

I have a feeling this bridle may be for photos shoots only. But I think it will be pretty on a plainer head.

Sep. 18, 2009, 06:25 AM
Just for photos, look for western snaffles... I *think* I'm reading you're looking for a copper mouth? An "Offset Dee" might be perfect I think. I've seen a few eggbutt fullcheeks too where the copper shows quite a bit. Copper Dee Rings too.

As for copper rings... haven't seen any. The rings will still be SS.

A bit of toothpaste used with a steel mesh pad cleans up the copper for a 'showringshine' without any soapy residue or taste. ;)

Sep. 18, 2009, 08:14 AM
I bought an attractive black dressage bridle with copper trim on the brow band and nose band.

Oh! Oh! Is that an e-bay bridle by chance?! I saw bridles like that on ebay and thought about buying one. Is it good quality? Is it "too much" bling for a rated show?

What color is the horse you are putting it on? My guy is dark bay in the winter and "sooty buckskin" (he bleaches) in the summer.

Sep. 18, 2009, 08:23 PM
Yes, it is the bridle on e-bay.
I think the vendor has another one up with the copper or brass trim.

I think the bridle is decent quality. I like it. Would the trim hold up to a lot of wear, who knows.

I bought another solid black bridle on ebay for $40 or less -- new -- and it is a cheaper bridle for sure but will be fine for schooling. Reins are too light but they can be easily replaced.

But with the this one with the copper/brass trim -- I was in the vicinity today of a tack store so I bought an eggbutt snaffle with a copper center. When I got it home, I put it next to the bridle and the snaffle has a much redder color. I'm not sure if it will work, but there was also a D-ring with more of a brass color and I am thinking of taking it back for that one.

Can anyone guide me on D-ring vs. eggbutt?

Anyway, I have not tried this bridle on any of my horses yet. Need to get the bit figured out.

I bought the bridle for photo shoots. I have one grey broodmare and the rest of the herd is chestnut, brown or bay -- many different shades -- so it will be interesting to see what looks really nice.

I have one filly who is an unusual shade of brown and I am looking forward to trying this on her.

Take a look at Bonnie Bedelia on my blog. She is the color of a chocolate bon bon.

Sep. 18, 2009, 08:26 PM
Wasn't someone selling brass color irons?

I think the trim on this bridle is more of a brass color than a copper color which is more red.

I saw a buckskin stallion in a bridle with some interesting colors and will see if I can get a closeup of his headgear.

I haven't had a horse in the showring for some time so I don't know what the trends are anymore.

Sep. 20, 2009, 09:23 PM
There are a number of bridles on ebays with "brass trim."

I saw photos of a newly approved buckskin warmblood stallion in a bridle that looked like it has brass buckles etc. Would love to see a closeup.

Sep. 20, 2009, 09:35 PM
Check out this one; http://www.doversaddlery.com/stubben-golden-wings-snaffle-bit/p/X1-010472/

Sep. 24, 2009, 08:01 PM
I think that's a really interesting bit. Wish there were reviews.

Anyone use this bit?

Sep. 24, 2009, 08:14 PM
I like the idea of the bit, is it legal to show in?

Has anyone used it yet? Reviews?

Sep. 24, 2009, 09:20 PM
Brass irons; http://www.equus-libris.com/catalog/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=418

Sep. 26, 2009, 01:38 PM
There are some "brass" bits on that same web site.

So if you had a "golden" bridle, you would need to have the brass irons to be color coordinated.

I think this would look really nice on anything but a grey.

Sep. 26, 2009, 01:39 PM
Hell to keep clean, however. Ask me how I know !

Sep. 26, 2009, 01:43 PM
Do you have photos of your horse in the golden tack?

Sep. 26, 2009, 02:09 PM
If I do, I don't know where they are - it was a few hundred years ago!