PDA

View Full Version : Help with buying my first Shadbelly!

HunterObsession
Sep. 17, 2009, 05:55 PM
Now that I am an A/A, I am thinking about getting a shadbelly. (I have always wanted one, but that is my current excuse as to why it is a need:D). Anyways I was wondering if there are certain brands or certain places where I should be looking for them. I am really short so I know that I will need a short. Also, I really want one that I can have pink piping on and did not see that as an option on the Dover ones. I also know that I want my points to be plaid. Any info would be great and I apoligize if there is already a thread on this, if there is feel free to direct me to that. Thanks:)

spmoonie
Sep. 17, 2009, 06:52 PM
Well, I suppose it really depends on how much you want to spend. ;) RJ classics makes some nice ones that come with Paisley patterned/yellow points (they are reversable). I want to say Grand Prix also makes an off-the-shelf shad, but Im not completely sure. As for the pink piping, do you mean on the collar? Or the tails? Personally, I would try to find a good, plain shadbelly that fits really well. The other things you mentioned (piping, different colored points, etc) can all be bought or easily added by a seamstress. In fact, if you found a really neat/cute/awesome fabric, you could probably take it to a seamstress and have custom points made.:D

Prima Donna
Sep. 17, 2009, 07:08 PM
I got my shadbelly on sale from Dover for $165. It was an RJ classics on sale with pink piping on the tails and paisley patterned/yellow points. It wasn't the platinum line but the line below. Maybe it is discontinued now since I can't seem to find it.

This one doesn't have piping but is pretty inexpensive and piping is easy to have added. You can also buy points to replace the ones that come with it. Hope that helps!

http://www.rjclassics.com/dyn_prod.php?p=5600C&k=149914

Well, I suppose it really depends on how much you want to spend. ;) RJ classics makes some nice ones that come with Paisley patterned/yellow points (they are reversable). I want to say Grand Prix also makes an off-the-shelf shad, but Im not completely sure. As for the pink piping, do you mean on the collar? Or the tails? Personally, I would try to find a good, plain shadbelly that fits really well. The other things you mentioned (piping, different colored points, etc) can all be bought or easily added by a seamstress. In fact, if you found a really neat/cute/awesome fabric, you could probably take it to a seamstress and have custom points made.:D

BMargieRad
Sep. 17, 2009, 08:36 PM
I have all my jackets made by Stable Cloth (formerly Saltare)
Erin is great to work with and your options are endless--she has a few sale shads on her website too...

www.stablecloth.com

HunterObsession
Sep. 30, 2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks so much:) Anyone else?

Elementgrl2
Sep. 30, 2009, 04:19 PM
Grand Prix makes beautiful shadbelly's you can pick ur fabric and points and they have light pink lining and piping.

heygirlhey33
Sep. 30, 2009, 04:21 PM
Ive got a grand prix one and an RJ classics one. I like my grand prix one more, but I still love the RJ one. It has lilac lining. I bought it because a tack store was selling off its stock because it was going out of buisness. It was quite a steal and I bought it for those nasty days that I didnt want to wear the grand prix one, but Im really impressed by it. I love getting all dressed up! heres the RJ classics one, I dont have any pictures of the grand prix.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2461345&id=622598173#/photo.php?pid=2008473&id=622598173 you can see the lining. I love its color.

shoponee70
Oct. 1, 2009, 10:50 AM
farm house currently has some on sale and they carry all price points.
rj, grandprix and marigold.. lots of colors and styles / lining to choose from.
they always have the latest stuff at the best price.. i mean they are local to me, but even if they werent, I'd have stuff shipped.. b/c they are just that good and there stuff is that nice.