PDA

View Full Version : Best DAY to spectate at WIHS

yellowbritches
Sep. 17, 2009, 01:48 PM
We have a couple of young girls that we'd love to see some of the higher level caliber hunters and equitation riders at WIHS this year. The older of the two is a student with us and is getting into eventing, while her younger sister is riding local level hunters (very beginner stuff). The older one is also joining her school's interschool riding team/club thing, which is "hunter" (sorta). We'd love for BOTH girls to see what the REAL hunters look like and what GOOD equitation riding is. Older one tends to make a little fun of her sister's riding education, while the younger one is just a little clueless about good riding in general. I would love for the older one to see that good riding is good riding is good riding (and that more than just event riders are capable of good riding), and the young one to see what her chosen discipline looks likes at the highest levels....and I'd like to go and ooooo and ahhh over the show jumpers like I do every year. ;)

So what would be a good day? I think their parents would be ok with taking them out of school, depending on the day. Unfortunately, we are at an event on Saturday (which seems like a great day to go), so they'll either have to go it alone, or we'll have to find a day during the week. Any suggestions for an educational day?? We are local, so can hop on the Metro and be their in 20 minutes.

Renn/aissance
Sep. 17, 2009, 02:41 PM
If you go on Friday, you'll be able to see all four sections of the Junior Hunters as well as the Hunter Phase of the WIHS Equitation class. After that are the A/O and Junior Jumpers. That seems to be the only day that would fit your schedule that has the equitation stuff, although if you came back Saturday evening you could see the workoff for the WIHS Equitation Final.

yellowbritches
Sep. 17, 2009, 03:36 PM
Actually, I saw that, and that would be perfect if things go quickly at the event that day. We'd have to hustle to get horses home, put away, and in town by 7, but it could work.

JinxyFish313
Sep. 17, 2009, 05:39 PM
I'd go saturday night! The workoff is really fun to watch, and the grand prix is always great. Plus its a little more special there at night...so empty during the day, it almost feels awkward to me sometimes.

theblondejumper
Sep. 17, 2009, 07:46 PM
Ooh I'll remember this thread. Can't wait to go to WIHS this year. Been trying to go for the last few years.

gottagrey
Sep. 17, 2009, 11:49 PM
Yellowbritches,

It depends on what you want to show your kids - would they be more interested in seeing their peers competing or the pros?

Actually for your kids, I'm thinking Wednesday Day or Thursday Day would be great options - especially if parents will let them out of school -even by say noon - you would have 4+ hours and still be home in time to tend to horses.

Wednesday has a little bit of everything- good learning/watching potential
the 2nd, Green & First years will be ridden by mostly, if not all pros, the the ammys & Jr.Jumpers - 7:00am - 5:00pm -
Second-Year Green Hunter
Green Conformation Hunter
First-Year Green Hunter
Regular Working Hunter
Regular Conformation Hunter
Amateur-Owner Hunter (35 & Under)
Amateur-Owner Hunter (Over 35)
WIHS Children's Jumper Championship

Thursday more Jr.classes hunters and jumpers - 7:00am - 5:00pm -
Small Junior Hunter (15 & Under)
Large Junior Hunter (15 & Under)
Small Junior Hunter (16-17)
Large Junior Hunter (16-17)
Amateur-Owner Jumper (TFR)
Junior Jumper (TFJO)
$30,000 Open Jumper - Time First Jump Off - Part 1

Friday - also good
Small Junior Hunter (15 and Under)
Large Junior Hunter (15 and Under)
Small Junior Hunter (16-17)
Large Junior Hunter (16-17)
WIHS Equitation Classic (Hunter Phase)
Amateur-Owner Jumper - Ambassadors Cup
Junior Jumper (Time First Jump-Off)
$15,000 Open Jumper (Time First Round)

I don't know that I would necessarily go down in the evening unless you really want to- night is going to be more expensive tickets, fewer classes to watch,and exhibitions- all good don't get me wrong...just more HORSES to watch during the day. Have fun - I have to figure out what day I'm going to play hooky on myself.. Maybe I'll tag along w/ you:lol:

JenEM
Sep. 18, 2009, 01:37 AM
I've gone in for the Weds day classes before (er, well, stayed in after working all night), and it's wonderful. There's no one there, and you can sit right down on the rail and watch all the best horses go. It's really a lovely experience.