PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Anyone with a new Wintec Pro 2009?

NJRider
Sep. 17, 2009, 09:51 AM
I have a new 17 1/2 Wintec Pro 2009 dressage saddle with contourblocs, flocked. I have had it a few months. I also ride in a 17 1/2 in Isabelle. The Pro has a different feel, the seat is not as deep, etc so I have tried to get used to it. But, it always felt a little big. I decided that because the seat is flatter, maybe I need a 17 and put it up for sale. For kicks this morning, I measured it with a tape measure- it is 18 1/2"!! it is HUGE! It is measured correctly from the button to the center of the edge of the cantle. I am calling the dealer to ask about an exchange. I wonder if anyone else can or has measured their saddles, and do they measure to the seat size they are supposed to be? My saddle still has the stickers and tags that say 17 1/2.
I am just glad I have not sold it yet. Hopefully the dealer or Wintec will accept an exchange- this is really bad!

NJRider
Sep. 17, 2009, 11:20 AM
After complaining to the dealer and Wintec, their position is that "these saddles are 17 1/2 and you measure them differently than regular saddles and buyers should go DOWN a half inch or so from their normal size." Unfortunately, when I bought this saddle no one bothered to tell me this.
As a seller, I would NEVER sell this saddle to someone without disclosing the issues with sizing. Please be aware if you are shopping for one of these saddles. So I am out hundreds of dollars and am the only who feels an obligation to accurately represent an item I am selling.

Lisa Holman
Sep. 17, 2009, 11:57 AM
I just bought one, and yes, it's bigger than the size stated. In my case, it worked out fine, as I bought a 17-1/2, and I would normally get an 18. I've read that other people have had a similar experience.

pippa553
Sep. 17, 2009, 12:02 PM
I'm so glad I saw this thread! I was about to buy a 17.5 and now I'm thinking I need to get a 17. I ride my close contact in a 16.5 so I really hope the 17 fits. Thanks for the head's up!

SouthernComfortMax
Sep. 17, 2009, 12:06 PM
I am actually really glad to see this! I am contemplating on a new Wintec Pro right now...this is VERY helpful!

NJRider
Sep. 17, 2009, 12:50 PM
Yeah, that's me....always glad to help! ha ha
I am just furious that Wintec told me that buyers should be told to order 1/2 in SMALLER than they normally ride in, yet the web site nor the dealer states this. So unless you are the amazing Kreskin, good luck. I love how they kept repeating that my saddle is 17 1/2 yet is clearly measures a hare OVER 18 1/2 and although they said you measure these saddles differently, could not say HOW they measure to get the magic 17 1/2.
They said they are like the Innova which is not measured in inches, but size 0,1,2 for a range. Wintec stated they "did not know why the new Pro is NOT in the range system when they are like the Innova..." Very helpful!

SouthernComfortMax
Sep. 17, 2009, 01:00 PM
My daughter just got the 2009 Pony Pro Dressage, Great little saddle for starters (she is moving from Equitation to dressage, I am VERY glad but that is a different story :D) The saddle sits great, puts her legs in a GREAT position and it fits her pony well (I opted for flocked panels instead of CAIR, I have heard HORRID things about CAIR but again...another story) BUT it is supposed to be a 16" saddle and it is more like a 17" and is borderline to big.

NJRider
Sep. 17, 2009, 04:47 PM
Yes, I like the flocked too. Ugh! So it sounds the the sizing problem is in all these saddles. The biggest mistake I made was when I first got it, riding my green broke three year old in it where my stirrups were about 3 or 4 holes shorter. I recently rode my FEI horse in it with regular length stirrups and I could really feel how big it was. The short stirrups pushed me back so it felt DIFFERENT than the Isabelle, but not huge. Here I am riding my 3 yr old at his first horse the other day
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x233/jklfarm/Sept09%20Dressage%20Show/DSC04442.jpg

JackSprats Mom
Sep. 18, 2009, 06:45 PM
So how do you guys like riding in it?

in_the_zone
Sep. 19, 2009, 11:55 AM
I'm definitely a 17 1/2 in the new Wintec Pro II and no way I could squish into a 17". I'm a 17 1/2 with most dressage saddles except Passier (17"). I am more of a 17" in a jumping saddle however. So I'd say I'm on the small side of 17 1/2" and the new Wintecs fit me well in that size.

As far as the saddle itself goes, I don't like the fixed contour blocks, but I don't like most restrictive thigh blocks. They just never seem to sit in the right place. I do like the movable velcro ones you can put where you want and also choose the size you like. I certainly endorse the Wintecs and my saddle fitter does too!

NJRider
Sep. 19, 2009, 01:11 PM
Do you own a new 2009 Pro with the contour blocs or another Pro??
If you do own a new one with the contourblocs, could you measure the seat from nailhead to center of edge of cantle? The model with the blocs is different than the model without the blocs. So I need a measurement of a saddle that is a 17 1/2 like mine to compare.
Someone with an 18 inch says theirs measures to be SMALLER than my 17 1/2 so I need to research myself to see if my saddle is defective or mislabeled.

I'm definitely a 17 1/2 in the new Wintec Pro II and no way I could squish into a 17". I'm a 17 1/2 with most dressage saddles except Passier (17"). I am more of a 17" in a jumping saddle however. So I'd say I'm on the small side of 17 1/2" and the new Wintecs fit me well in that size.

As far as the saddle itself goes, I don't like the fixed contour blocks, but I don't like most restrictive thigh blocks. They just never seem to sit in the right place. I do like the movable velcro ones you can put where you want and also choose the size you like. I certainly endorse the Wintecs and my saddle fitter does too!

NJRider
Sep. 19, 2009, 10:17 PM
Here is an update: I spoke with a reputable Wintec dealer who sells these saddles and asked her to measure their 17 1/2 ones like mine. One was 17 1/2 and the other was 18- she is sending back the 18 because it is considered defective. She stated there has been many problems with the sizing accuracy of these saddles.
Since I have mine advertised, I have been contacted by another owner who bought one at the same dealer I did. Hers is SMALLER than the advertised size, unridden in, the the dealer is not willing to take it back. So it sounds like Wintec has a problem with these saddles. Unless a buyer is lucky enough to work with a reputable dealer, they can be stuck with a faulty saddle......

hanohorse
Sep. 20, 2009, 09:50 PM
I have the new Wintec Pro with contour blocks, and I ordered a 17, (has the 17 sticker on it)it measures to a 17.5 though. I think they are modeled after the innova which has a different size system (0,1,2). I researched as much as possible before I bought mine and had heard they run a little large and didn't have quite the deep seat as the Isabelle. I also have a 16.5 Isabelle and don't like a large roomy saddle, so the Pro has worked out well for me. I would not be happy to order a 17.5 and get a 18.5 though, thats a pretty big difference, and since mine measures a 17.5 (ordered as 17) if I had ordered a 17.5 size getting a 18.5 that would be way too big. Sucks the dealer won't take it back, as it clearly is not even close to the size you wanted. Sounds like Wintec has some screw ups in the sizing of there saddles. Fortunatly I'm fine with mine being a half size bigger. Glad I didn't order the 17.5 though (debated it). Good Luck.

NJRider
Sep. 20, 2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks for your measurement information! I have had two ethical Wintec dealers tell me my saddle is definitely defective. I am calling the manufacturer tomorrow to complain about their dealer (who is a belligerent, unprofessional whack-job) and to arrange for a warranty claim.
In the course of researching this issue, It is nice to know there are quality tack shop owners out there. They will get my business from now on!

pawsplus
Sep. 23, 2009, 01:05 PM
I just got the Wintec Pro w/ contourblocs (CAIR) and it measures EXACTLY 1/2" larger than the size advertised. So that seems in line w/ what you were told. I've had a number of Wintec saddles and feel the quality is excellent. The new Pro is a GORGEOUS saddle. I try to avoid leather and am thrilled that Wintecs are now so high quality.

I haven't actually ridden in the new saddle yet, since it won't stop RAINING long enough for me to do so, LOL. But I loved my Isabell and I'm sure I'll love this one!

CatOnLap
Sep. 23, 2009, 02:36 PM
I don't have the new one, but my old Pro was a true measured 17.5 and had another manufacturing problem. I found both the dealer and Wintec very easy to deal with and they provided me with a satisfactory resolution. If the local dealer is being sticky about a return with a defect, please do contact the distributor and the manufacturer as they are quite responsive, IME.

I use a 17.5 in both the wintec pro and the passier. I found the new wintec pro with the big thigh blocs extremely uncomfortable to ride in- it simply doesn't fit my anatomy.