PDA

View Full Version : Just for Fun: What is your favorite...

myvanya
Sep. 16, 2009, 04:47 PM
Ok, I am in an odd mood and was just thinking that I love doing leg yields on my horse because he does them so well and it feels so wonderful when he gets them right. I also love how they loosen him up and he flops his ears (he relaxes them and they wiggle and flop around) when he does them.

So, what is your favorite manouver or exercise to do and why?

I know you shouldn't over-do any one thing, but as my instructor so astutely said to me, we all have favorites :) So, just for fun...I would love to know...just because I am interested. TIA

doccer
Sep. 16, 2009, 05:46 PM
... that big suspended, floating, airy, bouncy, snorting trot... that you can only get directly after you canter (for this amateur ;) ) I ride that trot as long as i can. Feels like you could half-pass, passade, renver/travers just by THINKING about it ... :yes:

AND I hear you on the 'floppy eared' dressage horse thing! My horse has done it for years :) judges love it cuz it's easy to see the marks for relaxation lol

quietann
Sep. 16, 2009, 05:58 PM
I am at real smurf level, but someone trained my mare to sidepass at the walk before I bought her, so I tried it recently in front of mirrors, and wow, that's really cool. No, I don't do it much! She's actually great for all the lateral work I've figured out so far.

She also has the most amazing canter....

billiebob
Sep. 16, 2009, 06:05 PM
I love turns on the forehand. I learned to do them on polo ponies. Probably the best teachers ever for turns on the forehand/haunches--so much fun!

My horse is starting to get the whole "stretch down into the bridle" thing, so he thinks he's hot stuff because he can canter and trot with his head down. :) That's when we get the happy flopping ears!

myvanya
Sep. 16, 2009, 06:07 PM
doccer- ooohh: you remind me...I do love it when I am riding my friend's 4th level horse and she does her really big floaty extended trot....I have no clue how to really ride her well, but even for me she will do some amazing work.

and quietann- I actually understand that feeling too...my older horse has no real dressage training so any time he actually engages his hindquarters and uses his back is a victory; getting beyond that with him is still a dream :lol: but since he is 24 I have to be a little forgiving since he is just a little behind the power curve in his training :winkgrin: But I love his trot when he really gets it as he has the most amazing gaits!

Ambrey
Sep. 16, 2009, 06:10 PM
I'd say the half pass if it didn't require sitting trot!

So probably leg yields. Actually, when I can get it right, I kind of like the LY/SI/LY exercise!

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Sep. 16, 2009, 06:37 PM
Real lengthenings. Feeling that thrust and movement...cool. I did NOT feel the same the one time I let Ted go on-beyond-gallop-to-flat-out-race. Of course, if you're getting a true lengthening you have to have some sort of control, as opposed to the other.

Piaffe. We have only done baby stuff. But it gives me a glimpse.

WrenTF
Sep. 16, 2009, 06:42 PM
Truly collected canter when you can feel the back legs "jumping" underneath you and you have the neck right in front of you....so cool....

spotted mustang
Sep. 16, 2009, 07:24 PM
walk-canter transitions. My horse did those really well; much better than trot-canter. Just a wonderful feeling when all I had to do is weigh my inside seat bone, relax my fingers on the inside rein, and he'd be in this beautiful, uphill canter. The first few strides would be the absolute best canter he had, after that I had to work real hard to keep him from falling forward (long back, downhill comformation...

pintopiaffe
Sep. 16, 2009, 07:27 PM
Canter half-pass, canter 1/4 to 1/2 pirouettes... he's like a carousel pony, so up and light and fun and easy to sit...

My favorite 'excercise' though has got to be HI to SI or the reverse... the trot you get after is soooo nummy. ;)

slc2
Sep. 16, 2009, 08:25 PM
Since when did half pass require a sitting trot, Ambrey?

But yes, one should learn to sit the trot by that point.

Favorite? I love doing everything. I think the coolest thing is doing a half pass when the horse's back is really loose and he really sweeps along.

Carol O
Sep. 16, 2009, 11:26 PM
Canter pirouette. To the right, more than the left (but the left is good too!). That is the sexy answer. I do love it, but actually..... most of all.... for real... The warm up. I love a great warm up. Not sexy, but true. There it is... Warm up and CP. You can never get a good CP without a good WU after all!

HollysHobbies
Sep. 17, 2009, 08:35 AM
The first time I did a pirouette on my schoolmaster--I had an ear to ear grin by the time we got all the way around. It was so much fun. I don't practice that though, since we're just starting schooling some 3rd level movements.

rabicon
Sep. 17, 2009, 09:03 AM
I have to say mine is the walk piroutte. :yes: Theres no way we could do it in the canter :lol: but its amazing with all the work with him responding to my leg that this came along and he does it great! Even though I'm a smurf and he is to this was a big accomplishment!

cutemudhorse
Sep. 17, 2009, 09:15 AM
Well, most anytime something goes [I]really[I] well I get that warm fuzzy "Aaahh YES" feeling, but I really like it when I transition from collected to lengthening and the motor kicks in and the neck reaches and the shoulders come up and out and he feels like a boat on plane. The coming back is pretty cool too. :yes::)

Keepthepeace
Sep. 17, 2009, 09:30 AM
Canter half pass with a flying change! The mare I used to show had a funny sense of humour and would actually try to do a flying change the 'opposite' way while going back to the track in half pass even when CORRECTLY bent! I could have strangled her many a time for her 'opinion' but we eventually saw things MY WAY! lol

CatOnLap
Sep. 17, 2009, 10:39 AM
yeah, I love canter change of hand, but the real thrill is early in the warm-up of my green horses, when they start to learn to lift their backs and fill up your seat.

dbadaro
Sep. 17, 2009, 10:48 AM
i love doing the extended trot on my horse. he is a standarbred with beautiful gaits and he is so smooth and really gets his legs under him.

i also recently have been able to sit his trot. when he is collected he is so comfy and now that my core muscles are stronger it's so much easier! (my new saddle helps too)

myvanya
Sep. 17, 2009, 10:49 AM
Wow...thanks everyone...you are reminding me of all the little things that make riding so wonderful. We can really experience beauty instead of just seeing it...ok...I know that may have been a little bit of a cheesy thing to say but if I really mean it does that make it less so?

It turns out I started this thread at just the right time since my ride last night was a little frustrating, but then I came in to work and read this thread and reminded myself that I will eventually have another great moment. Eventually we will be past being smurfs (love that expression- it fits so well!) :cool: and I will be able to ride better and that will help my horse :D

myvanya
Sep. 17, 2009, 10:51 AM
i love doing the extended trot on my horse. he is a standarbred with beautiful gaits and he is so smooth and really gets his legs under him.

i also recently have been able to sit his trot. when he is collected he is so comfy and now that my core muscles are stronger it's so much easier! (my new saddle helps too)

what kind of saddle do you have? Not to derail the thread, but I have to get one (eventually...have to save up first) so I am curious what various people like.

dbadaro
Sep. 17, 2009, 11:00 AM
what kind of saddle do you have? Not to derail the thread, but I have to get one (eventually...have to save up first) so I am curious what various people like.

i have a bates caprilli with the larger knee blocks, cair, and adj. tree. very comfy and romeo isn't complaining! i bought mine used and nicely broken in.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Sep. 17, 2009, 11:54 AM
I have a treeless. It doesn't let you cheat, it does not put you in a position - but you certainly learn balance and omg can you ever talk to your horse's back.

myvanya
Sep. 17, 2009, 12:22 PM
I don't know if my super sensitive OTQH would go for a treeless unless I was an insanely good rider (and I am not) especially on my really bad days with my RA...so I will probably stick with a saddle with a tree for this one but might eventually get a treeless for my older horse if I ever have the money to get him a dressage saddle. Right now the old guy has to share with the QH and somehow they wear the same size and have very similar backs despite being very different horses. Though just about everything fits the older guy. Fun times.
again...totally off topic but I got my ride times for my schooling show this weekend...my husband is riding in Intro :D so it should be really fun!

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Sep. 17, 2009, 01:02 PM
Ah - but that's the funny thing! I have an uber sensitive TB (and I am NOT an insanely good rider!!!) - the huge plus is that as we did dressage, and his body changed, the saddle would stop fitting well every 1.5 -2 years. Which is worse for an uber sensitive horse! Now I don't shell out ~$3K every 2 years and sell the old to help pay. AND it fits every horse I've ridden - from my TB to a TB/Andy, to a Perch/Andy, to a QH/Andy (we have an Andy stallion at the barn...), to a WB/TB, to a Dutch WB.

Also - from what I gather, the newest Ansur not only has a twist but more support.

myvanya
Sep. 17, 2009, 03:12 PM
hmmm...food for thought...if I can find one I can ride in for a few rides I will give it a shot.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Sep. 17, 2009, 03:22 PM
Ansur is pretty good about having reps visit or lending you one.

Trevelyan96
Sep. 17, 2009, 04:56 PM
OK, call me weird, but I LOVE sitting the trot, especially without stirrups! It just puts me in a bubble and makes me feel like I'm truly part of my horse!

meupatdoes
Sep. 18, 2009, 11:08 AM
Depends on the horse.

On my one horse I luuuuurve the lengthenings. Even better is the part where he comes back promptly, noticeably, and still round and through from a seat aid. I think they are his favorite part too so we just go into our little twin-speak place and groove.
He is also most excellent to ride (if by ride I mean coast) to a fence.

On the other I like a good stretchy circle. He tends to get tense in his back, so stretchy circles are win.

On the baby, LY, baby SI, and baby HI is lovely, because it is SO EASY for him.
He is also a dream to ride up to a fence, even though he has jumped like, 15 times in his life.
That horse is just a savant, so I ride around pretending I'm awesome and it's not all him being a genius.
;)

My favorite tends to be what each horse is best at.

caddym
Sep. 18, 2009, 11:37 AM
Flying changes - I think they are so much fun to train and do. As much fun as jumpers used to be

Dune
Sep. 18, 2009, 11:50 AM
Well, the movement that got me hooked on dressage back in the day was a perfect walk/canter transition. My absolute favorite movements now are 2 tempis (cause you feel like you and your horse are skipping, much better than ones:yes:) and passage. Of course it's been a while now since I've had one that can do those two, so I have to be happy with the walk/canter transitions again. :lol:

FancyFree
Sep. 18, 2009, 12:04 PM
OK, call me weird, but I LOVE sitting the trot, especially without stirrups! It just puts me in a bubble and makes me feel like I'm truly part of my horse!

Me too. But I rode bareback for years so it wasn't all that difficult. Adjusting to a big stride was a bit difficult, but very fun once I got it.

The extended trot is fun too, when you're in the rhythm with your horse, flying across the ring with those big, powerful strides. Fun and awesome.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Sep. 18, 2009, 06:36 PM
Funny, I was just thinking about this very question, too. :yes: I love doing four-loop canter serpentines with either a walk transition at the center line or a change. :D