PDA

View Full Version : I'm holding a local H/J Show....ideas??

florida foxhunter
Sep. 16, 2009, 07:52 AM
I have a 40 acre farm (photos on my website) and am applying to host a locally sanctioned H/J Horse Show. I already have in mind where the ring or rings would be....and parking will be no problem....
As a breeder, I'm hoping to suppliment the farm's income, so trying to maximize profits, yet make a great first impression.
I'm open for suggestions.....It's looking like I may try a "Holiday" show Dec. 19th . There used to be one in our area, and I've been encouraged to take that date.
Of course, I know about ordering ribbons, getting a judge, having a concession stand, course design, stewards...etc.
However, thought I'd throw it out there in case you all have some neat ideas or thoughts about holding your first show.....and a holiday show at that?

JinxyFish313
Sep. 16, 2009, 07:59 AM
Have Santa judge the lead line :)

Seal Harbor
Sep. 16, 2009, 08:07 AM
Decorate everything for the holidays. Maybe do little holiday goodie bags to give people as they check in.

Hire a REALLY good secretary, actually the most important person at the show, almost everyone interacts with the show secretary. Don't try to manage the show and do the secretary role as well. Make sure you have a useful, competent jump crew, so that rails are picked up and replaced and course changes are done quickly.

mroades
Sep. 16, 2009, 08:26 AM
toilets and garbage cans....even recycling bins if you can, safe schooling area
these are things that have been lacking at local shows we attend

JLC7898
Sep. 16, 2009, 08:35 AM
Fun! Maybe you could serve hot cocoa,cider,or tea. Or Holiday foods like cookies and such.If you are running the concessions and have control over the choices. You could get creative with the jump decor,tinsel,pine tree braches,holiday things! I am sure you will have a great show!

RockinHorse
Sep. 16, 2009, 09:09 AM
Lots of Candy Canes for the horses ;)

JWB
Sep. 16, 2009, 09:18 AM
If you think you'll need 10 garbage cans, put out 12.

I also suggest putting out "poop" bags for people who bring their dogs. Start saving up your plastic grocery bags now and put them out at various places, labeled in large letters. It will really help people take the hint and remind them to clean up after their dogs.

Wizard of Oz's
Sep. 16, 2009, 09:23 AM
I love the santa idea for lead line! That would be really fun. Also, if you have access to them, a holiday-ish show that I go to every year has christmas trees under the jumps. We have a billion and one around where I live, so cutting down a couple for the show isn't a big deal;)

-You could also give away candy canes with the ribbons. It would be cool for the people showing(or their horses) and buying candy canes in bulk is really cheap.
-You could buy some red duct tape and stripe a couple white poles to make a candy cane jump.
-just going to a craft store and getting some fake flowers (those red ones that are holiday-ish that i can't remember the name of) will make the course look nicer
-serving hot chocolate, cider, etc. if you're doing the consessions yourself

JinxyFish313
Sep. 16, 2009, 09:39 AM
Poinsettias.

MissMaryMack
Sep. 16, 2009, 09:48 AM
We're in the area and would definitely bring a bunch of kids!

rwfarm
Sep. 16, 2009, 10:06 AM
Make sure you have a good schedule. Moving jumps up down in out etc between each division adds on alot of extra time. Make sure your courses dont end at the opposite end of the ring than the gate.

EMT on site if you cannot have an ambulance.

zahena
Sep. 16, 2009, 10:07 AM
Yes, lots and lots of holiday themes, but try to keep it as P.C. as possible. Working in real estate you'd be shocked how many people complain about no menorah to celebrate Hannukah.

I second (and third) the holiday jumps ideas.

Also, around here they offer a "costume" class. Or if its a true schooling show (not for points) they make it to where you can wear holiday colors, braid your horses in silly ways with holiday ribbons, paint their hooves in a holiday theme, etc.

Mo's Mom
Sep. 16, 2009, 10:11 AM
Muck buckets and rakes are nice for cleanup at trailer parking.

If you are going to have it informal, so the kids can decorate with ribbons and such, please have a fun class so they can show off. :D

florida foxhunter
Sep. 16, 2009, 01:14 PM
I'm getting nervous, but you all are giving me great ideas and enthusiasm!!

Even though most aren't in my area, what do you think of the date4s? It had been suggested Dec. 19th because there is an A show 2 hours south of here that SOME of the locals go to on the 13th (but so many don't!). Can't do the first weekend because it's the local "banquet" for the association,...or how about some time between Christmas and New Years?

I"m getting all sorts of mixed comments about the dates.....

WalkerEvntr
Sep. 16, 2009, 03:25 PM
Count the college kids out...UF's graduation is that weekend. Otherwise, I'd be there! :D

heartinrye
Sep. 16, 2009, 03:28 PM
I'm getting nervous, but you all are giving me great ideas and enthusiasm!!

Even though most aren't in my area, what do you think of the date4s? It had been suggested Dec. 19th because there is an A show 2 hours south of here that SOME of the locals go to on the 13th (but so many don't!). Can't do the first weekend because it's the local "banquet" for the association,...or how about some time between Christmas and New Years?

I"m getting all sorts of mixed comments about the dates.....

If it is during school break you'll probably see more people, so maybe between Christmas & New Years would be best- also if you wait you can decorate with all of the 'leftover' christmas decorations that are on super sale right after the holidays and save more $$ :)

Definitely get a nice secretary - bad ones will make me (and others) never want to come back to a show.

SOTB
Sep. 16, 2009, 03:35 PM
I think a holiday show is a great idea. I love the idea of decorating for the holidays and giving candy canes out for the horses. If it's just a 1 day show I think the date will work, but if it's 2 days people might think it's too much to take on before the holidays.

SOTB
Sep. 16, 2009, 03:37 PM
I just looked at your farm web site and your farm looks charming! That barn would look great with holiday decorations!

TheRedFox
Sep. 16, 2009, 04:33 PM
I love everyone's ideas about all of the decorum for the farm! Lots of trash cans and the idea of muck buckets everywhere is a good idea too!

You have such a lovely farm and your babies are simply stunning! I wish I were closer so that I could come down for the show. Best of luck!

Mo's Mom
Sep. 16, 2009, 04:40 PM
I just had to go see your web site. You have a beautiful farm, and gorgeous horses. Very nice web site, also. I wish you were closer, I would come to your show. :D

florida foxhunter
Sep. 16, 2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks everyone. Your ideas are getting me pumped up....I"m a bit nervous about getting help so close to Christmas.....although I'll be PC! Unfortunately the Saturday between the 25th and 1st is the 26th......too close to Christmas (schooling on Christmas night????...nope, haha) so that won't work.
The local horse show sanctioning board is next week, so we'll see what they say. If everyone thinks it's too close to the holidays ,, oh well. But after hearing your ideas, it could be pretty neat!
I already decorate my house and barns with big red ribbons everywhere.......although the extra decorations won't be cheap.........for the jumps too.
I know several "heavy guys" who'd make great Santas!!! haha. I love the Candy Cane idea!

hunter-eventer-hunter
Sep. 17, 2009, 09:27 AM
Lots of Candy Canes for the horses ;)

Candy Canes for the horse is great...My horse would be on her best behavior as they are her FAVORITE.

I look like a mad women at the store the week after Christmas buying a palate of candy canes to get me through the year.

Ditto on the good secretary and good judges. Since it is a first show, you don't want people walking away shaking their heads at the judging (more than they will anyway, that is.)

I think a holiday theme is great. Lots of Pine Trees on the courses...

Horsezee
Sep. 17, 2009, 01:15 PM
For cute first place gifts look for small things such as equestrian Christmas ornamanets, holiday socks, horse treats with the peppermints, holiday coffee mugs, $10 Starbuck gift cards and other inexpensive things like that. :)

BeastieSlave
Sep. 17, 2009, 08:29 PM
Excellent! keep us posted....
You're close enough for us to come down and play :D

mroades
Sep. 17, 2009, 11:17 PM
Hey Beastie...how are Ginny and trey??

I wish I was closer, I would come play at a fun christmas show!

Seal Harbor
Sep. 17, 2009, 11:24 PM
For cute first place gifts look for small things such as equestrian Christmas ornamanets, holiday socks, horse treats with the peppermints, holiday coffee mugs, $10 Starbuck gift cards and other inexpensive things like that. :)

All of these are cool things, however, do not get boxes of Christmas cards as a prizes. At one schooling show we took the baby to he won the hack and got a box of Christmas cards. :rolleyes: He was not impressed, neither was I. We also got a metal string of Snowmen and snowflakes, they are hanging in my office. Still. Those I thought were cool.

BeastieSlave
Sep. 18, 2009, 08:30 AM
Hey Beastie...how are Ginny and trey??

I wish I was closer, I would come play at a fun christmas show!

Pretty good. Tre looks ab fab! Thanks for asking :)