PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous to not use rein stoppers?

Hunters_Kick_Butt
Sep. 16, 2009, 12:48 AM
So I have a running martingale without the rein stoppers. Would it be dangerous to ride with it without them?

Ibex
Sep. 16, 2009, 12:52 AM
YES. You're running the risk of the martingale getting tangled with the bit. Don't ask me how, but I once ended up with the martingale ring hooked through the inside of the bit ring and pulling the horse's head into a weird spot. Thankfully the horse was saintly, and just halted while I fixed it...

grandprixjump
Sep. 16, 2009, 12:57 AM
the running rings getting caught on the rein buckles, keepers, etc. Very easy for those rings that aren't much bigger than your reins to get caught on them...

klmck63
Sep. 16, 2009, 01:05 AM
Definitely not safe for all the above reasons mentioned. We used a make shift duct tape set when where were no rein stops to be found. We basically just made little cylinders of duct tape, put one on either side of the rein and duct taped them together. Ugly but functional.

SkipChange
Sep. 16, 2009, 01:11 AM
Yes it is, for the reasons stated above. Running martingale without stoppers is specifically prohibited in Pony Club competitions and you might find other organizations mention that in their rules as well, but I wouldn't know which ones.

You can add these rubber stoppers to any reins, much cheaper than buying all new reins and safer than riding without stoppers (and you can take them back off your reins before you go into the hunter show ring)
http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=4146

Long Spot
Sep. 16, 2009, 01:13 AM
Yep. If you've ever seen one get stuck on the bit, you'll loose some sleep.

SarahandSam
Sep. 16, 2009, 06:40 AM
Saw a girl riding at EA whose running martingale got stuck on the bit... horse was not a happy camper....

Janet
Sep. 16, 2009, 07:13 AM
Yes it is, for the reasons stated above. Running martingale without stoppers is specifically prohibited in Pony Club competitions and you might find other organizations mention that in their rules as well, but I wouldn't know which ones.

USEF Eventing rules

EV 115.3 bb. Only unrestricted running martingales with rein stops or Irish martingales are allowed.

And I HAVE seen people eliminated for the lack of rein stops.

Noctis
Sep. 16, 2009, 07:29 AM
They can also get snagged on a wolf tooth. I have unfortunately seen this in person.

SkipChange
Sep. 16, 2009, 09:55 AM
They can also get snagged on a wolf tooth. I have unfortunately seen this in person.

:eek::eek::eek:
That sounds truly horrible!

P.S. thanks Janet for quoting the rule!

LittleMissCan'tBeWrong
Sep. 16, 2009, 10:11 AM
Yes, this can be very dangerous. Took my mare out cross country schooling one day, forgot to put rein stops on, and the hook of the martingale hooked on to my mare's full cheek...my very green spooky 4yr old TB mare...she flipped out, she actually nearly flipped over...wasn't until after I fell/jumped off that I realized what had happened. I will never forget to have rein stops again!

Gry2Yng
Sep. 16, 2009, 04:38 PM
Well, with a full cheek, you were pretty nearly guaranteed to have that happen. Glad everyone was okay.