PDA

View Full Version : Saddle for high withered TB

Blackberry Farm
Sep. 15, 2009, 08:50 PM
Sorry if there are oodles of these posts in the archives, I couldn't retrieve them.(I know how to search archives ;), but my Blackberry is being quircky.) Anyway, I'm looking for a close contact saddle for a very high withered TB. She's 17 hh, bigger boned than most TB's.(Med. Tree/gullet work- just need clearance for the "shark fin." Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

forestergirl99
Sep. 15, 2009, 09:05 PM
Sounds a lot like my horse. Big high withers, but not really narrow. I got a Prestige Eventing in a Med/Narrow. The change that saddle made in him was immediate and dramatic. He was so much happier. Don't forget that saddle fit isn't all about the tree though. The panels have to fit their back correctly as well. I would suggest calling VTO Saddlery (http://www.vtosaddlery.com/). They were super helpful, and they only charged $4.99 shipping for a saddle!!! Also, if they don't have the tree or size you need, they will order it and send it to you for no extra charge.

AllyandPete
Sep. 15, 2009, 09:08 PM
I found a med tree dominus on ebay last year and it has worked on pretty much every shark finned horse I have tried it on. It is seriously the best saddle I have ever ridden in. I <3 it!!! They don't make them anymore, but you might be able to find one used!

JB
Sep. 15, 2009, 10:06 PM
Don't know what your budget is, but the Vega Jump is *great* for the stereotypical TB build.

of course, that all is contingent on the shape of the back, which is just as important as the shoulders and withers. If your horse isn't super flat, or super curvy, that may work very well for you.

jn4jenny
Sep. 15, 2009, 10:11 PM
Sorry if there are oodles of these posts in the archives, I couldn't retrieve them.

Uh....try "high wither TB close contact saddle". I got DOZENS of threads.

Blackberry Farm
Sep. 15, 2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks Forestgirl. I personally love several prestige models- Nona is so comfy for me :)! A friend has the event, so I'll try that on her. Dominus and Vega sound awesome too! I'm about an hour and 1/2 from the Farm House in Landrum,SC. At least I'll know what to try when I take her. Cool.:)

showmom858
Sep. 16, 2009, 01:06 PM
When my older DD got her children's hunter that was a full TB with very high withers we spent months trying all kinds of saddles to fit him. I didn't want to spend a fortune for a custom saddle for a growing kid, so the process took awhile. The one we finally ended up with wa a PJ (Bruno Delgrange) that was almost new and it worked great for our TB. Younger DD is still using this saddle today on her TB that doesn't have the high withers. It has turned out to be an excellant saddle.

AliBus
Sep. 16, 2009, 01:44 PM
After literally a year and months of shopping for my beastie I came across this saddle with the help of Trumbull Mtn. It fits great -- they added just a little extra flocking at no charge based on my wither tracings. The saddle is well balanced and comfy -- i LOVE it!! I only wish I had gone to them sooner -- I was skeptical because they were so far away and everything would have to be done by mail -- but I could have saved myself hundreds of $$$ in shipping fees if I had just started with them.

Good luck!!!

PS my horse has a shark fin wither and is NOT narrow at all -- making him near impossible to fit without a custom saddle

PinkPonies
Sep. 16, 2009, 01:56 PM
My BdH works really well on my high withered TB. He's got a huge shoulder, wide chest, smallish body and big withers. Finding a saddle that fit and didn't slide back took about a year, but that is what I finally settled on.

tbeventer
Sep. 16, 2009, 02:50 PM
Sounds a lot like my horse. Big high withers, but not really narrow. I got a Prestige Eventing in a Med/Narrow. The change that saddle made in him was immediate and dramatic. He was so much happier. Don't forget that saddle fit isn't all about the tree though. The panels have to fit their back correctly as well. I would suggest calling VTO Saddlery (http://www.vtosaddlery.com/). They were super helpful, and they only charged $4.99 shipping for a saddle!!! Also, if they don't have the tree or size you need, they will order it and send it to you for no extra charge.

ditto on the prestige eventing

forestergirl99
Sep. 16, 2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks Forestgirl. I personally love several prestige models- Nona is so comfy for me :)! A friend has the event, so I'll try that on her. Dominus and Vega sound awesome too! I'm about an hour and 1/2 from the Farm House in Landrum,SC. At least I'll know what to try when I take her. Cool.:)

Make sure it's the medium/narrow tree. otherwise it still might hit her withers. good luck!! :)

Dressage.For.Life.
Sep. 16, 2009, 07:50 PM
Prestige is great. My narrow TB who has massive withers and shoulders does well in their 31cm. Remember that Prestige saddles can be adjusted up/down 3cm from their original size.

pinkme
Sep. 16, 2009, 08:07 PM
the wide tree butet fit my big shouldered, shark fined TB perfectly, I wish wish wish I hadnt sold it :(

Wedonit
Sep. 16, 2009, 08:39 PM
I have a large TB who is mistaken for a warmblood sometimes, but has a crazy high shark fin (has sheepskin inside his blankets to keep them off his wither). I know this isn't your question but I feel it's worth it to get a saddle fitter out. I had tried all manner of Butet (med tree, wide tree, FB2 tree, flat seat, jumper seat), Tad Coffin, Pessoa, a Devocoux ... some better fits than others. Some with Beval wither relief pads. Turns out none of them was a good fit and I needed to have a fitter evaluate. Long story short is that what I learned (the hard way) is that there's no formula, such as: If (high withered) and (big boned) insert (saddle brand X). It doesn't exist.

Not trying to tank your thread, just passing along the recommend for a fitter so I can hopefully save someone the years of struggle and expense that I have encountered.

chawley
Sep. 17, 2009, 12:15 PM
We've had good luck the PJs, Childrec, older Butets, and Beval saddles when it comes to bigger TBs with high withers.

A friend just purchased a BDH and it fits a lot of the TBs well too.

SOTB
Sep. 17, 2009, 12:28 PM
I got a County saddle for my 17hh large withered TB and they did a great job fitting it to him! He moved so much better in that saddle.