PDA

View Full Version : Stud cavesson

forestergirl99
Sep. 15, 2009, 08:26 PM
What are they used for?

spmoonie
Sep. 15, 2009, 08:37 PM
I always thought that they were for horses who liked to throw their heads around/pull against the martingale. I may be wrong---honestly, I am only guessing.

SkipChange
Sep. 15, 2009, 08:45 PM
Yeah I think people use them for horses that throw head/pull against the martingale. I imagine it is discourages the horse from opening his mouth. I have ridden in one (horse was owned by a trainer--it was her decision, she put it on him because he was tossing his head and had his mouth wide open) and I don't particularly care for it.

mrsbradbury
Sep. 15, 2009, 10:38 PM
I am thinking you are asking about a cavesson with studs on the underside of the top part, so they are against the horses nose?

This goes in the abrasive noseband category, there are many derivitives of these, and are used on horses that brace against the martingale, it does help. I have not used it for horses that open their mouth, but it could work for that.

There is a good thread about abrasive nosebands on the forum.

Across Sicily
Sep. 16, 2009, 12:42 AM
I have seen it used for horses that open their mouth in order to evade the bit. I know it worked very well for the one particular case I have seen.