PDA

View Full Version : What type of spur?

KateKat
Sep. 15, 2009, 06:14 PM
Since I usually end up using a pair of someone else's spurs in my lessons...I figure its time to be a big girl and buy my own pair.

However, I'm not exactly sure what kind I should be getting. I really only need a pair to add a little oomph to my leg when horse isn't listening and add a some finesse to cues when needed. What would you recommend? Also, are they usually a one size fits all type of deal (in terms of width)?

Tuesday's Child
Sep. 15, 2009, 07:00 PM
If it is just a little oomph, I would go with something like a 1/2" Prince of Wales spur (http://tinyurl.com/luytn7 except they only have 3/4" and 1") or 3/4" if you need a bit more. I have no experience with the roller ball types (http://tinyurl.com/krj454) but they look like they'd be good too.
Width-wise is one size fits all, but is divided into ladies or mens.

dghunter
Sep. 15, 2009, 07:31 PM
Love the plastic/rubber roller spurs :yes: My horse likes them better as well since they are somewhat softer but still get the point across

KateKat
Sep. 15, 2009, 08:39 PM
what about knob spurs, more or less oomph than prince of wales and roller spurs?

mojo7777
Sep. 15, 2009, 09:01 PM
I use the knobs and like them, but my horse doesn't need much, just a little definition.

klmck63
Sep. 15, 2009, 09:55 PM
Just a note, I always get my dad to pull open or squish them as needed to customize fit :) I have a teeny tiny pair of tom thumb spurs that I think are child sized that fit just fine after being 'modified'!

Vixenish
Sep. 16, 2009, 01:30 PM
I consider the 3/4" prince of whales to be a versatile, middle-of-the-road type of spur. That said, I recently got a pair of the black roller balls, and I am in love with them because I've finally found something that doesn't cause bald rubs on my super thin-skinned TB. Agree with squishing them for a custom fit!

BAC
Sep. 16, 2009, 02:55 PM
I usually wear a pair of Tom Thumb Prince of Wales spur, only 1/4" or thereabouts. I also have a couple of pair of 1/2" Prince of Wales.

You can buy Ladies or Men's spurs, the men's are wider.

nycrider2004
Sep. 16, 2009, 04:30 PM
I'm not sure where you are in your riding but once you get control of your leg/get to the upper levels it's pretty common to always ride wearing a spur and carrying a crop (this comes from GM), His idea was that you always wanted both of these items if you needed them but you should have enough control to not use them if not needed. That being said, if you were ever on something that freaked about eitehr, you could take them off or drop the crop - but it's far easier to do that than have to run back to the barn to get what you don't have :)

The spurs I lived in were the tom thumbs - never left the barn without these on...and still don't. I also prefer the thin black straps with keepers that have matching round buckles ...They can sometimes be hard to find with the keepers so I've had those made/added by my local tack guy if needed.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-2525&bhcd2=1253132412

I also had a couple of other different lengths/sharpness in my trunk for horses where you really did need something more (i had one horse where I needed spurs so long that I would constantly trip on when I wore them...like 2inches!) but since it sounds like you're just starting out I would imagine the above would suit most of your needs. If you did need something bigger it would be more than appropriate to borrow a barnmates' a few times and if you end up riding a horse consistantly enough where you need something more then that's your excuse for another trip to the tack store! :)

BAC
Sep. 16, 2009, 04:56 PM
I also prefer the thin black straps with keepers that have matching round buckles ...They can sometimes be hard to find with the keepers so I've had those made/added by my local tack guy if needed.

I only use spur straps with the double keepers, you can get them from Hadfields, I have both black and brown (for when I'm wearing my brown half chaps and paddock boots). I hate to have the spur strap flapping around the top of my foot. ;)

KateKat
Sep. 16, 2009, 06:26 PM
ah, the 1/4 tom thumbs looks like they should be good. I have only been riding a few years and actually was really reluctant to get spurs because I didn't want to start to depend on them instead of just focusing on strengthening my leg. However, my instructor has started putting me in them more as I've progressed and some of the horses I ride really do go better with a spur so I figure its time to get my own.

I like the double keepers as well, so I'll have to check out Hadfields. I think they have a website, right?

Ok and this is a really dumb question but on the tom thumbs when you have them on...the neck is supposed to be angled down, right? Like in the picture? Obviously not the spur expert here :)

superpony123
Sep. 16, 2009, 07:20 PM
i recommend some roller spurs for starting out. avoid the ones with the plastic ends-they break easily. go for the all metal ones. they look a bit harsh cause theyre so big, but theyre just as soft as a regular POW (id say it's about equal to the strength of a 1/2-3/4" POW but the benefit is that it CAN be a lot softer or a lot stronger depending on how you use it if that makes sense. plus it would be pretty tough to give your horse spur rubs with these. great for a horse with sensitive skin and thin hair) and get a small pair of POW's or tom thumbs for shows (ive used the roller ball ones at shows but i find that im generally more comfortable with the POW's at shows. the roller ones make a clicking nose and it can be distracting for me)

SkipChange
Sep. 16, 2009, 08:31 PM
Ok and this is a really dumb question but on the tom thumbs when you have them on...the neck is supposed to be angled down, right? Like in the picture? Obviously not the spur expert here :)

Yes, please angle your spurs downward.