PDA

View Full Version : Long shot: anyone have a 5.5" Duo or Nathe I could borrow/try?

pintopiaffe
Sep. 15, 2009, 05:20 PM
The Young Master Irrenaeus seems to like a mullen the best. He's currently wearing his Grandma's "miracle" HS Mullen, but it's not quite wide enough.

He needs little in the way of bitting, but also has a low pallate (sp?) thick tongue and no room in there. The thinner bits I normally use for these types (Myler, JP) just aren't quite... quite... ;)

But due to the cost, I'd love to 'try before buying' on the Duo or Nathe. (I think the Duo is narrower, but they both have the same 'arched' mouthpiece, so the 4mm may not be a big difference.)

Ambrey
Sep. 15, 2009, 07:34 PM
ANother one to try- rethinking similar mouth issues, I was thinking of bits to try. A friend showed me a narrow (14mm) Stubben lozenge bit with a curve to it that seemed like it might work, and is only $40.

http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VTO&Product_Code=SLROMSB&Category_Code=BITS

Also, have you ever tried the super-curved Neue Schule bits?

http://www.shop4bits.com/item--The-Verbindend-Connection-Bit-DL-12mm-70mm-Rings--9010-70.html

eta: sorry if I got your hopes up- if I had a duo or nathe I'd definitely loan it to you!

powerhouse
Sep. 15, 2009, 08:47 PM
I just happen to have the Nathe in my bag-o-bits - and I'm right in New Gloucester. Won't be using it again so I'd be happy to send it to you.

staceyk
Sep. 18, 2009, 09:05 PM
PM me if you'd like to borrow it -- it worked very well for my 3 year old....

Sister7
Sep. 19, 2009, 04:47 AM
Also have a nathe that's not being used... PM if needed!

catmchorse
Sep. 22, 2009, 12:22 AM
Any of you guys have one in a 5"? I have been itching to try a Nathe or Duo for ages now (I, um, kind of have a bit fetish :lol:) and would love to get a chance to test drive.

I think my mare would love it, but a hunch isn't quite enough for me to go spend that much on a bit.

pintopiaffe
Sep. 22, 2009, 10:59 AM
Only got to briefly try it t'other night, hopefully a better/longer ride tomorrow.

I love the feel of it--very different than the mullen. The Young Master Irrenaeus seems to like it--but was chewing a lot. Not sure if that was just new texture and feel, or if the Nathe is going to be too soft. If I'm remembering right, the Duo is harder?

Fit is defintely better--I love how it narrows in the center for the 'big mouthed' horse. And he definitely needs a 5.5" in a mullen... I don't suppose you can get a fullcheek Nathe? I know from the other thread no full cheek duo. :( More's the pity.

Ambrey
Sep. 22, 2009, 12:20 PM
You're making me want to try it! Thanks for the review!