PDA

View Full Version : Which saddles fit like Pessoa's?

moonlightride
Sep. 15, 2009, 03:10 PM
Right now I am looking for a used saddle but I cannot afford a used Pessoa. What other less expensive brands have a similar tree and panels? Are ovations similar?

Simbalism
Sep. 16, 2009, 02:01 AM
I haven't seen any of the Dover saddles in person, but from pictures in their catalog several look similar in construction. They tend to be less expensive than the Pessoas. I've had mine for awhile(Pessoa) and I am actually looking at a Wintec for schooling and trail riding to try to preserve my Pessoa. I would actually like to get a Bates all purpose, but the budget will not let me at this time.

gusbabe
Sep. 16, 2009, 09:00 AM
The Intrepid Gold is very similar to a Pessoa. They also have other saddles in their line similar to Pessoa's. You can get them from equestrian international, located in New Holland PA. My daughter has one. It rides well, fits everything she has tried it on and comes with a long flap which we needed. Costs less than 1,000. I would search equestrian international to find their website.

sansibar
Sep. 16, 2009, 09:04 AM
mark todds, excelles, stubbens

Hunter Mom
Sep. 16, 2009, 09:39 AM
Right now I am looking for a used saddle but I cannot afford a used Pessoa. What other less expensive brands have a similar tree and panels? Are ovations similar?

I'm not sure about similar, but they're nice saddles. A couple of the A barns in our area use them for their starter saddles.

litlhponies
Sep. 16, 2009, 09:58 AM
My daughter has an Intrepid and I LOVE that saddle. Several BNT have commented on how nice it is. DD has about outgrown the one she has and I'm going to replace it with the same saddle, bigger size because we like it so much.

Mee
Sep. 17, 2009, 02:18 PM
Moonlightride,

Sent you a PM

moonlightride
Sep. 18, 2009, 04:20 PM
Thank you all. I am 99 percent sure I will be getting a different brand now(not a Pessoa).

Trevelyan96
Sep. 18, 2009, 11:09 PM
The Dover Cirucit saddles seem to be the most similar to the Pessoa. I've heard the older Pessoas are much higher quality than the ones currently on the market. My DD has had hers for about 7 years now and she loves it. Unfortunately it doesn't fit her new horse, so unless it fits my guy, it will go up on ebay. PM me on Sunday after the saddle fitter comes tomorrow. Its in great shape, but I won't be asking more than $700 for it if I sell. I will probably go for the circuit elite to replace it unless I can find a good PJ or Antares.

I have the cheaper Circuit close contact saddle and am amazed at how comfortably correct it feels and how its held up. The leather isn't the greatest quality, but part of that could be MY fault too, as I haven't used it much in recent years.

mvp
Sep. 19, 2009, 07:44 AM
Try one on you and your horse, but I'd say Ovation.

The saddle is a "sleeper" in the industry but has several things going for it. First, it's price, but the general quality of the materials and workmanship for the price point. I'd say an Ovation is much better than the Dover equivalent.

I think it was designed by Ruiz Dias-- a good, long-term saddle designer known for making saddles that are conventional enough to satisfy many shapes of horse and rider. In terms of design, then, I think you can trust this saddle

Looking at its panel design, I think it's a lot like the Pessoa, though the foam will be different and perhaps not quite as good. But I think you can make up for that with a half-pad in the material of your choice. IMO, the shape of the Pessoa panels does lots of the work in getting those saddles to fit many horses.

Everyone's booty will have his or her own opinion, but I find them to be pretty comfortable and well balanced saddles, as a brand.

Intrepid is a good company, and while I haven't seen their house brand line of saddles, you might check them out if it's easy. I think the others you mentioned won't fit your needs quite as well.

Stubbens are quite different saddles in terms of design for horse and rider, as well as aesthetics. You are buying used so it might not matter, but the company has a reputation for manhandling its customers about fitting saddles and then insisting that they do fit... no matter what. I won't send my money in the direction of those business practices.

I think Exselles are well-made, pretty and decent-fitting saddles. But they start out costing more. They also don't take after the Pessoa design, per se.

PROTACKGUY
Nov. 18, 2009, 12:17 AM
Ovation are made by the same people that make Pessoa saddles.