PDA

View Full Version : equine.com for window shoppers?

tidy rabbit
Sep. 15, 2009, 03:38 PM
Let me rephrase my question please: Is equine.com a good site these days for actually selling something - or not?

Here's the orginal question that didn't come off quite right....sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone.

What's the deal with equine.com these days? Just for window shoppers? 100 views in 23 hours but no inquiries? Am I alone in this or other people experience this too?

AliBus
Sep. 15, 2009, 03:42 PM
of window shopping on Equine.com and dreamhorse.com when I am bored...never thought much about driving sellers crazy...

Jo
Sep. 15, 2009, 03:57 PM
Which one are you selling?!?!?! I'll take any of yours off your hands. ;)

rwfarm
Sep. 15, 2009, 04:25 PM
I actually bought one I saw there in November. Don't knock lookers.

tidy rabbit
Sep. 15, 2009, 04:30 PM
that's good news, thanks for the info rwfarm.

kellyb
Sep. 15, 2009, 04:31 PM
I look on there all the time, no intention of buying. I don't email or call though unless I am absolutely serious.

Platinum Equestrian
Sep. 15, 2009, 04:38 PM
How many people are out of work, have fallen on hard times, etc...? Why do you care if they look...? As long as they aren't wasting your time with emails, etc no biggie... let them look, and maybe they will tell someone they know, with a job... who is in the market... :winkgrin:

tidy rabbit
Sep. 15, 2009, 04:41 PM
I would like people to look at the ad, that's why I put it online. :)

However, I guess my question was more along the lines of ...

Is equine.com a good site these days for actually selling something - or not?

bf1
Sep. 15, 2009, 05:16 PM
I just bought one that was listed on both Equine and dreamhorse. It sold in 3 days. Another one I tried also sold in 4 days. But they are inexpensive trail horse types. But I know of several people who just look for fun. There are plenty of deals out there compared to 2-3 years ago!

Beam Me Up
Sep. 15, 2009, 05:34 PM
I do both!

I look at pics of the "dream horses" in addition to looking seriously at those in my price range.
I have a horse for sale up there and have gotten a good number of inquiries, fewer visits, but I'm guessing that's typical (more people want "more pics" or "more video" than actually drive a few hrs to try them).

In addition to fancy ponies, I also love looking at million dollar estate pictures on the internet. It never occurred to me that would bother the seller, though I'd never call and ask for a tour, either.

tidy rabbit
Sep. 15, 2009, 05:38 PM
It doesn't bother me that people are looking at the ad. I'm sorry if it came off that way.

I really do want people to look at the ad. :yes: Please don't misunderstand me.

I just found it interesting that so many people viewed it but I didn't get any inquiries. So it occurred to me that equine.com might be a great place to window shop but perhaps not the best place to sell something. It doesn't matter now, I can't get my money back for the ad listing anyway. I guess I just wont check back on the "view counter" so I can stop driving myself crazy. :)

Beam Me Up
Sep. 15, 2009, 05:41 PM
I'll buy that--I just looked out of curiosity and I have over 100 views in a couple days and only a couple calls.

In part, it may be that people don't know if a horse fits their criteria until they open the ad (like, all the pertinent info doesn't show up until you "view").

Or alternatively, we just have particularly gorgeous horses :-)

TSWJB
Sep. 15, 2009, 05:57 PM
i window shop when i am bored.
however i did serious shopping on equine.com and dreamhorse.
i bought my horse on equine.com and i sold my horse on dreamhorse.com.

Mimi La Rue
Sep. 15, 2009, 06:54 PM
I window shop when I am bored, but just look never actually enquire unless I am serious. I just love looking at beautiful horses and dreaming. Of all the 5 horses I have owned in my lifetime none of them have been through the internet. I am definitely open to the idea though and have tried horses I found on the internet when I was horse shopping.

zahena
Sep. 15, 2009, 06:57 PM
I'm with the others. I like to look. But not only do I like to look but I like to see what is in my area and what market conditions are. So when I put Beast back on the market I'll know that such and such horse was asking $X so I can ask the same.

I do admit, TR, it did drive me crazy to see so many views and watchers and so few inquiries. But since I'm a little window shopping I sorta understand.

And I had plenty of inquiries that never showed up, or just strung me along. And you know how some of those rides turned out! Poor Beast, I should've increased his price on that alone!!!! :winkgrin:

Jessyka89
Sep. 15, 2009, 06:59 PM
I window shop, but not on equine.com. I mostly shop on dreamhorse. However, in the past 2 1/2 years I have sold 1 on Dreamhorse (was posted on a Tuesday, vetted on Friday, taken home Saturday) and have sold one using Equine.com. I much prefer dreamhorse to be honest and get the most responses from dreamhorse. One of the horses I was selling was a low-mid 5 figures and the other was mid-4 figures. The 5 figure horse took longer to sell, but eventually was sold to a person using equine.com.

Piadosa
Sep. 15, 2009, 07:27 PM
I went to try a couple of horses that I found on equine.come and made serious inquiries on about 10 when I was horse shopping this summer. The one I ended up buying was not listed anywhere online.

I have been looking recently to see what's new there in what my price range was...just in case I need to beat myself up for waiting for something better to come along ha ha.

And of course I do searches where the min price is $150000 just for fun ;)

HowDoILook
Sep. 15, 2009, 09:06 PM
I have pony listed on Equine, Dreamhorse, and Big Eq. Dreamhorse, I really havent had anything from. Only Inquire was to tell me my pony was cute. Equine.com Ive had a few email but nothing serious. 35 days and 282 views. Big Eq has been the taker. A bunch of emails and calls, one person came to try him, but I find more serious buyers go there. Most people are looking in there price range, not I have 5,000 to spend but ill look at horses up to 10,000 cause they might drop the price.

TheHunterKid90
Sep. 15, 2009, 10:26 PM
I sold my guy in May, 2 weeks after he was listed. Full asking price. (17,500). Called about him Sunday, Came to see my Tuesday, I hauled him down for trial and vetting on Friday and it was a done deal by the following Tuesday.

horsetales
Sep. 15, 2009, 10:28 PM
I always wonder about the "watchers" I had several watches listed but not a single inquiry. I use equine, but it seems I get more serious shoppers/buyers from Dreamhorse

sansibar
Sep. 15, 2009, 10:59 PM
i bought one off of equine

dainty do
Sep. 15, 2009, 11:19 PM
It sure is fun to go window shopping. The hazard is that you just might see a horse and fall in love. (This happened to me, but I probably looked at hundreds)

One quick suggestion, it is helpful to buyers to have a link to a video or a website if possible.

SkipChange
Sep. 15, 2009, 11:44 PM
I love to windowshop! :D Hope I'm not getting anyone's hopes up as I did recently purchase my horse, but continue to window shop.

When I was *actually* shopping I used the "watch" tool frequently but I do try to avoid this for just window shopping because I am worried about getting people's hopes up with that one.

LSM1212
Sep. 16, 2009, 11:45 AM
I agree that Equine and Dreamhorse can be for window shopping.

tidy rabbit
Sep. 16, 2009, 11:55 AM
LSM1212 I don't know you're talking about. I never said what I was selling or not selling.

HuntJumpSC
Sep. 16, 2009, 11:55 AM
I do both. I bought my wonderful new filly off of Equine.com back in May, and it wasn't even a picture ad. I had just started seriously looking for an inexpensive project that past week when I stumbled across it. I emailed for more info and went and got her that weekend. :)

On the flip side, yes I windowshop. I like to see what's for sale in my region, not only to satisfy my curiousity, but to pass along to friends who may be looking. ;)

LSM1212
Sep. 16, 2009, 02:26 PM
LSM1212 I don't know you're talking about. I never said what I was selling or not selling.

I guess I misunderstood your post. Will edit.

PNWjumper
Sep. 16, 2009, 06:56 PM
Sorry TR....I have to admit that after reading your question I maybe became one more "looker" on your counter :D

I do more "window shopping" on Warmbloods-for-sale.com than I do on Equine.com or Dreamhorse.com. But I can say that I got a LOT of lookers at my horses on dreamhorse when they were up, and no one who moved it on to the next step. Equine.com didn't seem to give me even the e-mails I got on dreamhorse.

tidy rabbit
Sep. 16, 2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Definately good info. :)

2foals
Sep. 16, 2009, 10:39 PM
Selling horses on the internet is just so different from the old style ads where you put an ad in a magazine or in the newspaper (yes, I once sold a five figure horse through the newspaper!). I think what you are experiencing is normal. You get tons of views, lots of vague inquiries from people who seem to perhaps not quite exactly have read ANY part whatsoever of the ad, and then a few serious inquiries--if you are lucky. It also has been my experience that equine.com and dreamhorse generate precious few serious inquiries for nicer horses. Maybe your horse is too nice!!!

I wouldn't be disappointed yet, though. When I am horse shopping I tag a bunch of ads, think things over, and then start putting out inquiries a few days later. I usually wait to make phone calls until I have some time where I can concentrate on what I am doing.

tidy rabbit
Sep. 16, 2009, 10:46 PM
I'm heading for print ads next month if nothing happens online. Also a friend is listing my "item" on her big training farm website so that should help too since i'm a little farm.... :-)

theoldgreymare
Sep. 17, 2009, 01:17 PM
I did not have much luck with a pony I had listed there for weeks but sold it in three days with a free listing on Virginia Equestrian.....go figure. Forgetting this, I listed another pony last week and have hundreds of hits with only a few inquiries.

TSWJB
Sep. 17, 2009, 01:31 PM
Dreamhorse.com seems to attract lower quality buyers IMO. .
maybe because everyone is dreaming about buying these horses! LOL