PDA

View Full Version : Giants Causway for $5,000

ThisTooShallPass
Sep. 15, 2009, 12:35 PM
What was so wrong with this guy, Hip 280, that he only went for $5,000?

Wow, some breeder must really be crying in their spilled milk.

ThisTooShallPass
Sep. 15, 2009, 01:06 PM
Lot 296, an Elusive Quality ridgeling was a No Sale. They could not even get a bid of $1,000 on him.

ThisTooShallPass
Sep. 15, 2009, 01:51 PM
324 Giants Causeway $15,000.

325 Gaint's Causeway filly $775,000

What a difference.

Not watching all the video, just as I pass in & out of the room.

EquineRacers
Sep. 15, 2009, 03:12 PM
Surely there is a soundness issue going on. We picked up a son to Giant's Causeway out of a Seattle Slew mare for $5500 at the Golden Eagle Farm sale. We also picked up a son of Hennessy for $5000 at the same sale. Our Giant's Causeway ended up double bowing and is now my show horse LOL. Our Hennessy ended up winning over at Hollywood Park and ran a few more times before injuring himself.

Dahoss
Sep. 18, 2009, 11:55 PM
We picked up a son to Giant's Causeway out of a Seattle Slew mare for $5500 at the Golden Eagle Farm sale. We also picked up a son of Hennessy for $5000 at the same sale. Our Giant's Causeway ended up double bowing and is now my show horse.

How soon after the purchase did your horse double bow?

EquineRacers
Sep. 19, 2009, 12:28 AM
Oh man, I'd say at his first 1/2 mile work and we took our time with this guy too! This horse is VERY top heavy:

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m91/playbunymaterial/?action=view&current=Big1stShow81709007.jpg

farmgirl88
Sep. 19, 2009, 10:43 AM
equineracers:

Im in LOVE with your horse!!!! hes so cute!!!!

hitchinmygetalong
Sep. 20, 2009, 03:33 PM
What was so wrong with this guy, Hip 280, that he only went for $5,000?

Wow, some breeder must really be crying in their spilled milk.

My money is on very scary radiographs and/or a very bad scope. Though why a consignor would run him through the ring knowing he was going to get so little is beyond me. I bet the owner had a bad case of "getridofit".

Strange sale. Saturday was actually MUCH busier than the prior four days with a lot of buzzing going on around the chutes.

I'm sure Keeneland is going to think long and hard about it's "elite" Book One strategy now. Seems to be scaring off people rather than drawing them in.

Laurierace
Sep. 20, 2009, 03:56 PM
A few years ago many of you may remember how excited I was when I bought a Fu Peg colt out of the two year old in training sale for 10k. As it turned out he couldn't outrun me and is now a kids trail horse GELDING. I felt a little better when I saw someone pay 10k for his yearling half brother by Smarty Jones this week, at least I didn't have to pay to get him broke!

EquineRacers
Sep. 20, 2009, 06:20 PM
Isn't that horrible, when you know you have a super well bred horse that couldn't or didn't wanna run a jump!!!! Grrrrrrr, I guess if horse racing was THAT easy everyone would be into it!

Laurierace
Sep. 20, 2009, 08:39 PM
Well my colt, now a gelding was plagued by mystery lamenesses. Not sure that he didn't want to run as much as he couldn't. I finally threw in the towel when he started pacing in the morning. I didn't care what was making him do that, if he was gaiting he was gone.

CassandraMarie
Sep. 21, 2009, 05:14 PM
This guy's a Giant's Causeway too...http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=599678&l=6f33e64db8&id=1016257817
He hasn't run yet, actually got sent off to have throat surgery but I think he might actually make a decent runner. He's still in tact although I'm hoping if he does flop on the track I can geld him and steal him for my next show horse :lol:

EquineRacers
Sep. 21, 2009, 06:36 PM
This guy's a Giant's Causeway too...http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=599678&l=6f33e64db8&id=1016257817
He hasn't run yet, actually got sent off to have throat surgery but I think he might actually make a decent runner. He's still in tact although I'm hoping if he does flop on the track I can geld him and steal him for my next show horse :lol:

He is sure a looker, looks pretty relaxed to ride as well. When my Giant's Causeway was on the track, that sucker pulled my guts out. I'd come back out of breath while he was just getting warmed up! LOL

CassandraMarie
Sep. 21, 2009, 09:24 PM
I loff him. He's kind of a picky ride though. He can get ridiculously tough but you can't grab him too much. Oh, and try jogging him, he'll just try and run off the whole way and come off the track bucking LOL I make them tranq him if he's just jogging. But generally, overall he's a great ride. He just plods up to the track and he'll stand all day if you want. I dunno, you probably can't see them but I have a bunch of pictures galloping him and you can see where he gets kinda tough. But his breathing is AWFUL, I mean even galloping you can hear him on the backside.

Pronzini
Sep. 21, 2009, 09:47 PM
But his breathing is AWFUL, I mean even galloping you can hear him on the backside.

The Storm Cat coming out...

EquineRacers
Sep. 22, 2009, 04:03 PM
The Storm Cat coming out...

You think so???? We have 3 Storm Cat's (as grandsires that is) and not one of them have breathing problems. Crazy and a handful? Oh yes they are, even call them "dumb", but no breathing issues! Mmmm....

Cass - also sent you a facebook friend request!

smilton
Sep. 22, 2009, 05:38 PM
Hey i'm going to the last 5 days of the sale. What should I wear? I'll walking around with some agents/buyers/sellers.

hitchinmygetalong
Sep. 22, 2009, 05:44 PM
Hey i'm going to the last 5 days of the sale. What should I wear? I'll walking around with some agents/buyers/sellers.

Comfortable shoes. Bring a lightweight rain jacket. Decent hat to protect from sun or rain. Other than that, pretty much anything goes. I've seen everything from razor-creased jeans, very expensive cowboy boots, very expensive cowboy HATS to barn wear. There was that one guy who wears the loud Hawaiian shirts with the matching crocs... Oh, and one guy walking around in jeans and a short sleeve sport short. Wait a sec - that was Bob Baffert. :lol:

EventerAJ
Sep. 22, 2009, 07:31 PM
There was that one guy who wears the loud Hawaiian shirts with the matching crocs... :lol:

Yeah you could see those blaze orange Crocs from about 6 barns away! :lol:

Wearing something "identifiable" isn't a bad thing, though. It's easy to send the horses out to "The gentleman in the striped pants" or "The lady in the fruitcake dress". ;) When the cardperson vaguely points me in the direction of "The man in the blue shirt" (when there are FOUR of them under the tree) sometimes I end up showing a horse to the wrong guy!

Carol Ames
Sep. 22, 2009, 11:58 PM
A ridgling :eek:was accepted at this sale? Wsa he listed as such:mad::o?
Lot 296, an Elusive Quality ridgeling was a No Sale. They could not even get a bid of $1,000 on him.

harvestmoon
Sep. 23, 2009, 12:10 AM

Yes, they are accepted. Yes, they are listed as such.

Amyy
Sep. 23, 2009, 12:14 AM

There have been a few ridgelings, they always announce it when the horse enters the sales ring

keepthelegend
Sep. 23, 2009, 12:45 AM

Dont forget that is why Zensational was 20k and then made 700k in February. He was a ridgling with an undescended testicle bothering him.

QHEventr
Sep. 23, 2009, 02:41 PM
Carol - ALL but one of the great sons of the amazing mare Weekend Surprise were ridglings. They have all gone on to succesfull stallion careers

smilton
Sep. 24, 2009, 09:20 AM
Funny Cide was a rig. I'm pretty sure AP Indy is too.