PDA

View Full Version : Which saddle is better?

Sparkling_Sunset
Sep. 15, 2009, 07:21 AM
I'm looking to start riding hunters (as well as dressage-- I'm young!:) ), and am trying to figure out what saddle to buy. I think I'm going to go the used route, and am trying to find a high-end middle of the road (if that makes sense). I'm looking into the Pessoa Gen-X (whihc I used to ride a lesson horse in and quite liked), Collegiate Parfaire (which I could actually buy new)-- I've never ridden in one, but liked the feel when I sat in one in my local tack shop. Nice leather and cushy. I found a demo Arc de Triomphe that looks nice, and is in my price range ($1k MAX) It's the Prelude model, which I THINK I've ridden in, and did really like. I'm also half-heartedly considering M. Toulouse and Henri de Rivel aka HDR. Those ones, though, I've never ridden in and am not all that enthusiastic about. I'm concentrating on the first 3. Anyone have any input?

And for what it's worth, I HATE Devoucoux (gasp!). Those things inevitably give me this "I'm going to pitch forward over the horse's neck any second." Which is not terribly confidence inspiring. So I don't want one that has an extreme "forward" feeling.

hollyhorse2000
Sep. 15, 2009, 09:32 AM
Which saddle is better ----- the one that fits you and your horse!!!

Don't buy a brand per se -- try many saddles that seem to fit your needs i.e. type and shape of tree for the horse; flap size, twist and stirrup bar location for you. And then ride in them W-T-C and jumps. Have someone (trainer or good-eyed friend) who can see what your position is like in each. Narrow it down as you come to realize what both of you need. Then either pick one and have a saddle fitter look at it or work with a saddle fitter after you've narrowed your search and have them help you. Be willing to take your time and perhaps some postage mailing back and forth trial saddles, if necessary.

good luck

jen-s
Sep. 15, 2009, 12:25 PM
I agree completely with what hollyhorse2000 said.

Horseshowaddict
Sep. 15, 2009, 01:47 PM
For what its worth, I cant stand the HDR's. But ive never ridden in a Toulouse, so I cant comment on them. I got my Beval natural in almost new condition for $900. So maybe you can find a really nice used saddle too.

Ditto on find the saddle that best fits you and your horse.