PDA

View Full Version : What supplements do you feed your show horse?

Sadie*Bear
Sep. 15, 2009, 12:08 AM
I have always thought this would be an interesting topic on here, and I haven't seen one since I have been on this forum.

So what supplement(s) do you feed and why? Preventative? Old injury? Bad feet? Dull coat?

dghunter
Sep. 15, 2009, 12:24 AM
My guy is not really a show horse per se. More so a horse that occasionally shows :lol: But he's on Isox for some navicular changes and a supplement that I believe is called grand flex? It's for his hooves.

Go Fish
Sep. 15, 2009, 12:38 AM
None.

dwblover
Sep. 15, 2009, 12:45 AM
Adequan, Vitamin E supplement just to keep his immunity up, and occasionally Conquer gel.

PNWjumper
Sep. 15, 2009, 12:55 AM
4 of my 6 horses (so all of the show horses) get Glanzen Lite. My 2 big jumpers get a shot of Polyglycan before each big show rather than feeding any sort of a feed through joint supplement.

The other two don't get "additional" supplements, per se. My 2yo gets LMF Super Supplement grain and my pony gets nothing but hay and whatever grass he can get to.

forestergirl99
Sep. 15, 2009, 01:01 AM
My boy gets MSM and flax seed oil. He gets fed Purina Ultium too, so this has a lot of nutrients in such as biotin. The MSM helps his coat and hoofs. It also helps keep his tendons strong, preserves cartilage, and prevents swelling. I'm sure it does more too. It's just amazing, and it's super cheap. The oil has omega-3s. So is helps his hoofs and coat as well as helping keep weight on him.

AndNirina
Sep. 15, 2009, 01:11 AM
Legend, monthly - preventative

daily:
Isox - preventative
HylaSport - joint support
milled flax - hoof/coat
ground kelp - electrolyte
GrandHoof - hoof
milk thistle - liver detox
raspberry tea leaves - to calm mare-ishness :)

Chef Jade
Sep. 15, 2009, 01:16 AM
Just Cosaquin and Adeptus Gleam & Gain. Though she certainly hasn't needed the "Gain" side of that equation!

Simbalism
Sep. 15, 2009, 01:19 AM
My Tb mare gets daily:
Summer:
electrolytes
mineral salt granules
garlic
HylaSport OTC-joint
Moody Mare
Winter:
Moody Mare
mineral salt granules
HylaSport OTC-joint

uniongrove
Sep. 15, 2009, 07:52 AM
both boys, ages 8 and 10 get apple a day and adequan monthly . additionally,the 8 yr old gets glanzen 3c and the 17.1 10 year old gets recovery eq/ ha. love all the products as i see a marked improvement in health/ comfort.

spmoonie
Sep. 15, 2009, 10:33 AM
My guy gets Smartflex ultra III and a probiotic/prebiotic. He gets both because he is getting older (15) and neither his digestion or joints are quite as efficient as they once were.

katerenee
Sep. 15, 2009, 10:49 AM
None.

Dirty Little Secret
Sep. 15, 2009, 10:57 AM
Glanzen GL and Adequan

Gastroguard when we show/travel

JstMyLuck3
Sep. 15, 2009, 11:49 AM
Corn Oil, MSM, Electrolytes... occasionally I will buy a tub of Vit E & Selen

BrookdaleBay
Sep. 15, 2009, 11:56 AM
Next Level
Stress Dex electrolytes
Rice Bran oil
Farriers Formula

Mango7
Sep. 15, 2009, 12:31 PM
Lamina Saver daily, it's the only supplement that has helped with my horse's quarter cracks.
I also give electrolytes on hotter days.
I might also start up on some type of joint supplement as a preventative, not sure about that yet.

TheOneandOnly
Sep. 15, 2009, 12:58 PM
9 yo TB

Horseshoers Secret- Hoof
ground Flax Seed- coat/hoof

dani0303
Sep. 15, 2009, 01:11 PM
All of our show horses get
- Actiflex (joints)
- Rice Bran Oil
- Garlic (bugs)
- Mares get Mare Magic

touchstone-
Sep. 15, 2009, 01:30 PM
None.

akyates
Sep. 15, 2009, 01:44 PM
I feed Tucker Milling TM Equine 14% in the black bag and they do not need anything else. It has Biotin and all the Vitamins. They do great on it alone.

rabicon
Sep. 15, 2009, 02:18 PM
My show horse gets:

Sho glo vitamins
Cortiflex HA
Omega 3
and Legends inj. every couple months

The legends and cortiflex HA are preventative because he is 14 now, the omega 3 is for his coat (even though he has a beautiful coat without it) and studies have shown that it lengthens the trot stride in horses so thats nice with dressage. The vitamins are just that vitamins, he eats sweetfeed so I make sure he is balanced out with the vitamins.

Ozone
Sep. 15, 2009, 02:58 PM
Legend preventative
ProMotionEq - joints

SmokeyCB
Sep. 15, 2009, 09:32 PM
Smart Hoof and Smart Gut:

Cracking hooves.

He had trouble keeping weight on and a bit of a "concerned", shall we say, disposition. A little spooky.

Both have helped with these issues.

HowDoILook
Sep. 15, 2009, 09:42 PM
Indy gets

SmartFlex Senior (even though hes 12. Its easier digestable and it has pre/probiotics which helped him gain lots of weight)

SmartBreathe (he had pneumonia and Upper Respiratory Infection 2 years ago and and more sensative to dust)

Organic Iodide Powder (only when he is inside and gets a double dose the morning of showing. Helps with the breathing)

Just took him off of SmartHoof. The inner wall of his hoof had collapsed when I bought him from bad shoeing. So it was to help regrowth. But after realizing that he gets his feet trimmed every 4 weeks because they grow so fast we decided he could come off of it.

myvanya
Sep. 16, 2009, 10:28 AM
9yo OTQH (Appendix) gets:
-Smartflex Repair (just switched- wanted something a little stronger to combat his occasional stiffness and it has silica, GSE, and collagen added to the typical joint stuff.
-MSM
-SmartVite easy keeper Grass (only a partial dose since he gets grain- basically just rounds out the vitamins)
-Tums (he was showing signs of ulcers and studies have shown that most horses in regular work have them. Since he started on the tums at 8x human dose as suggested to me he has shown drastic improvement and I have seen him get far perkier about life in general)

24yo morgan gets:
-Flex-n-Action (really just preventative due to old age...)
-MSM
-SmartVite easy keeper Grass (only a partial dose since he gets grain- basically just rounds out the vitamins)

I want to add in a biotin and omega 3/6 supplement but need to find one that I like and can afford....

hollyhorse2000
Sep. 16, 2009, 10:33 AM
Daily:

Glanzen 3 (lite)
Smart Gut
Raspberry leaves (just an experiment for now)
Flex Force (probably overkill but not expensive)

Monthly:

Adequan

Occasionally:

Legend

KnickerB
Sep. 16, 2009, 03:53 PM
8 year old TB mare, competing lightly at 3', moving up to 3'6 next year...

Mare Magic
Vitamin E/Selenium
SmartFlex I Pellets

I had her on SmartGut, but it's not USEF legal, so she's off it now...might put her on some other antacid/ulcer preventative if she starts to have issues again

gooselover
Sep. 16, 2009, 05:29 PM
None except for Vegetable oil with feed

gmv567
Sep. 16, 2009, 07:03 PM
15 yr old 17 hand Hano./TB with crazy gut that can't digest hay and eats about 20 pounds of grain a day:
Succeed- To make the crazy gut happy. He loves it, takes it like a treat.
MSM-Helps the joints carry his big frame. It's cheap and effective.

10 yr old 15.3 hand Dutch with no issues:
MSM- Preventative... it's cheap and effective.

superpony123
Sep. 16, 2009, 08:25 PM
my pony has a diet of:

- grass (with muzzle in spring and majority of summer)
- hay
- probiotic stuff (i've been using ProBios paste and it's working okay but not 100%. I plan on trying Stomach Smoother)
- majesty flex joint supplement treats. used to use FluidFlex joint supplement when he was still on grain, but the treats do a good job. they just smell ! (well, theyve got shell fish in them, so it makes sense) it's some glucosamine, chrondroitin (sp?) and a bunch of other good stuff

pretty simple :) on most show days we give him a tube of ElectroPlex or Kauffman's electrolyte paste. it encourages him to drink more water and he generally just has a bit more of an energetic willingness. we also give him vitamin B paste.

my pony can't have grain (had laminitis in the past) unless it's a very small amount (i give him a little plastic cup's worth if i'm giving him a gram of bute powder)

CBoylen
Sep. 16, 2009, 08:35 PM
I had her on SmartGut, but it's not USEF legal, so she's off it now...might put her on some other antacid/ulcer preventative if she starts to have issues again
What was in the SmartGut that was the problem?

Horseymama
Sep. 16, 2009, 10:23 PM
Platinum Performance
MTM (B vitamins)
More Muscle (Creatine)

While at shows:

Dynamite Dyna-Pro (probiotic)
Dynamite Dyna-Spark (electrolyte)
Stomach Soother (papaya puree)

mep0726
Sep. 16, 2009, 11:41 PM
My guy is 12 and is on Cosequin and MSM. I have seen a big difference in his joints and he moves so much better.

kgro632
Sep. 17, 2009, 12:16 AM
10yr old 16.2 TB:

Smarthoof
Tractgard

Smartflex Senior (cheaper than Smartflex Repair and SF III and has higher doses of chondrotin, msm, glucosamine and HA then Smartflex I or II)

But now I'm curious about doing Legend as a preventative instead of doing a feed through joint supplement, as it is just as a preventative now.....HMMM

Tiffani B
Sep. 17, 2009, 12:27 AM
U-Gard pellets, daily.
Polyglycan injection, monthly.
UlcerGard, at shows.
Electrolytes, on days he works to a heavy sweat or when it's over 80*.

I'm trying Total Joint Care Performance in his SmartPak. We're starting on the 2nd month and I'm not sure if I'll continue it.

DuffyAgain
Sep. 17, 2009, 12:39 AM
15 yr old
Platinum Performance
Adequan every 2 weeks
Legend before each show
Isox

He told the communicator that the Isox and Adequan don't do squat, but loves his PP and Legend! :lol:

KnickerB
Sep. 17, 2009, 09:01 AM
What was in the SmartGut that was the problem?

I believe it was the Deglycyrrized Licorice.

rabicon
Sep. 17, 2009, 10:12 AM
9yo OTQH (Appendix) gets:
-Smartflex Repair (just switched- wanted something a little stronger to combat his occasional stiffness and it has silica, GSE, and collagen added to the typical joint stuff.
-MSM
-Tums (he was showing signs of ulcers and studies have shown that most horses in regular work have them. Since he started on the tums at 8x human dose as suggested to me he has shown drastic improvement and I have seen him get far perkier about life in general)

24yo morgan gets:
-Flex-n-Action (really just preventative due to old age...)
-MSM

I want to add in a biotin and omega 3/6 supplement but need to find one that I like and can afford....

http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine/horse-health/horse-supplements/hoof-coat-supplements/omega-horseshine-stabilized-ground-flax-horse-supplement-5031852

This is what I use, its a powder though. It cost 30 dollars I believe and last anywhere from 2-3 months depending on the dose you give.

myvanya
Sep. 17, 2009, 10:22 AM
http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine/horse-health/horse-supplements/hoof-coat-supplements/omega-horseshine-stabilized-ground-flax-horse-supplement-5031852

This is what I use, its a powder though. It cost 30 dollars I believe and last anywhere from 2-3 months depending on the dose you give.

Thanks!!!

3 is the limit
Sep. 19, 2009, 09:47 PM
My 16 year old WB daily gets:
Fat Cat
Corn Oil
Electrolites during the summer months
Smart TLC herb free (lots of MSM and omega 3's plus other good stuff)
Grand Coat (which I am thinking of ditching)
Lubrisyn for joints. Made a HUGE difference
Collustrum when I think he is getting ulcery or before travel

5 year old TB daily gets:
Corn Oil
Electrolites in the summer
LinPro (helping with his cottage cheese feet)
Lubrisyn as preventative for joints.
Black as Knight (but I will have to find something different once he starts showing next year as I believe this product tests positive)

YankeeTurnedHillbilly
Sep. 19, 2009, 10:45 PM
I had her on SmartGut, but it's not USEF legal,

What is in the SmartGut that is a concern for USEF? I have a horse on it now!

Lucassb
Sep. 19, 2009, 11:05 PM
My horse is gets adequan monthly and Legend before bigger shows. His daily Smartpak contains Grand Hoof, MSM and a multi vitamin (Mega Cell) which is the best one I could find in pellet form - he is a genius at avoiding anything powdered.

EquineLVR
Sep. 19, 2009, 11:25 PM
Both my OTTB's:

Platinum CJ
Smart Hoof
Smart Gut

Bogie
Sep. 19, 2009, 11:37 PM
Reitsport (currently, although I usually buy supplements from the clearance section -- damaged packaging -- at the SmartPak store). I always feed some form a flax seed.
Flex Force
Veggie oil

*jumper*
Sep. 20, 2009, 12:32 AM
Cosequin & Apple-A-Day mixed in with Equine Senior and wheat bran.

luv my paint
Sep. 20, 2009, 12:36 AM
20 year old TB gelding ( jumper/eq horse) very hard keeper
Platinum Performance
PP Ortho Chon 11 for his arthritis
Lubrisyn
electrolytes
farriers formula
Smart digest
cool calories

11 year old APHA mare ( jumper/eq, currently recovering from an injury)
Platinum performance
Cosequin ASU
Smart hoof
Lubrisyn

10 year old APHA gelding ( hunter)
( he won't eat most powdered things)
Mega Cell
Quiessence
Platinum performance hoof support
NU image
Smart Flex 11

HorseGuy1983
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:06 PM
I have just started to use SportForce Supplements from www.sportforcellc.com.

Siliforce Horses - Bone Density
ProEntera - Digestive Health
BioBerry - Immune boost
OmegaTri - Made from Flaxseed for Omega 3's

It hasn't been long enough to measure results but this stuff is backed by science and created by equine nutritionists.... Most of their products are fairly priced and they're manufactured by Hallway Feeds which is local to me so I enjoy supporting them :)

Showjumper28
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:12 PM
Reitsport-HA (Glazen & Hylasport in one supplement) - For hoof and joints
Platform Electrolyte
Rice bran pellets - for weight
Rice bran oil - for weight
Daily dewormer

KristieBee
Oct. 8, 2009, 02:12 PM
smartcalm (its just magnesium and vitamin b, but really took the edge off), smartprobiotics, and smartflex. ..he was on a smartpak multi but i switched to dynamite tnt.

since we started the dynamite, his condition has skyrocketed - i'm not exaggerating, its like his body got what it needed to put on the muscle we were working for - i'm so into it that i'm switching to dynamite full stop - free and easy to replace my joint supp, dynapro which is their priobiotic, and easy boy which is their calming supp - also made from magnesium and b vites. i'm excited.

denovo
Oct. 8, 2009, 06:55 PM
My 16 yr old TB mare doing the 3'6 and 3'9 jumpers gets a liquid glucosamine daily. This past season she got a grand total of 2 Legend shots through the year. :)

BeastieSlave
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:55 PM
So what supplement(s) do you feed and why? Preventative? Old injury? Bad feet? Dull coat?

Cosequin ASU - horse is older and it keeps his joints happy, SmartGut - horse has a history of ulcers and it keeps his tummy happy, UlcerGard - keeps tummy happy at shows and clinics, SmartHoof - horse has crappy feet, vegetable oil - for extra calories and shiny coat.

tBHj
Oct. 8, 2009, 10:46 PM
Not a show horse, yet.

DMAC, Intensive Care GI & Blue Seal MinAVite.

scribbles
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:30 PM
Recovery EQ- joints/tendons/muscles etc
MSM- joint
smartshine- coat and hoof

paint hunter
Oct. 9, 2009, 12:08 AM
2002 APHA/TB showing next year pre-greens (hopefully)

Adequan
Legend
Platinum Performance
Plain old salt (because someone gave me 25 pounds of loose white salt so I'm using it up)
Eq Sr as a carrying body for the NaCl and PP

MintHillFarm
Oct. 9, 2009, 12:15 PM
Strongid C daily wormer, which I have used for over 20 years, I love it; and a daily feed through fly control, seasonally. I am not convinced though that it really works.

Frankly, I just don't know if any of the other supplements are beneficial. Other posters have had other experiences I am sure and are happy with what they use...

I have fed Farrier's Formula for feet in the past. On one horse it worked well. On the current one I had tried it on (with a fair test of 16 months) and I took him off it. Once he was not getting it any longer, his feet were better. I feel if they get a good brand of grain, good hay and pasture (which is hard for many I know!) then I think they are getting all they need.

DreamsofbeingaHunter
Oct. 9, 2009, 04:04 PM
My guy whos a 14 yr TB who had a rough time in early training gets the following:

Smartlytes - spring/summer/fall depending on weather
Fluid Action HA - preventative
SmartCalm - calming
Smart B1 - winter and as needed
Estrone - monthly preventative
Depo - monthly

He's on a fantastic grain... Nutrena Safe Choice... so he's getting biotin, omegas, prebiotics and probiotics in his grain so I don't need to really supplement much. Also his grain is a low starch low sugar so he doesnt really need the calming supplements expect in the winter or super windy days.

chawley
Oct. 9, 2009, 05:47 PM
My 16 yr old hunter (TB) is on Selenium/Vit. E, TracGuard (stomach/electrolyte), Joint Solution, and monthly or bi-weekly Ichon shots. He also gets garlic in the summer for the flies.

I moved him down to 2'6" last year due to arthritis in both hocks and a now-healed tendon injury from '06. At this time, he gets worked 4-5 days a week and shows apx. 10 times a year.