PDA

View Full Version : tips for getting removing stains from white tails?

superpony123
Sep. 14, 2009, 10:25 PM
now, i can get *some* parts of my pony's tail white. thankfully, his tail is only white at the base and the rest is a pretty chestnut flaxen, but theres some stained hairs on his white part and they drive me NUTS!

i've done EVERYTHING possible with quicsilver. i've literally even left it on those one spots for an hour (not right before a show. i just wanted to see if it was even possible to get these stains out. at this rate, purple would be better than the yucky green color)

and NO luck. ive used champion tails whitening shampoo too, which works quite a bit better than quicsilver on tails at least, but it also doesn't do much for the stains :[

someone mentioned once that they'd seen some kind of powder bleach for tail stains like the one my pony has, but they didn't know the name. does anyone know what i'm talking about? (btw the stains are NOT anywhere that would be touching his skin or base of his tail)

does anyone have any other methods they'd use to get some harsh stains out of my pony's tail?

shadytrake
Sep. 14, 2009, 10:54 PM
I once asked the groom who works with this stallion, Special Memories, how they kept him so white and they said they used Ivory Snow laundry powder. They bathe him in it. They said it did not seem to bother him and didn't seem to be harsh (I would test an area first).

http://www.touchstonevalleyfarm.com/P1SM.jpg

He is soooo white you would not believe it.

jmjhp
Sep. 14, 2009, 10:59 PM
Tide with bleach for the tail! work great.

hasahorse
Sep. 14, 2009, 11:09 PM
If you can find it where you live, there is a product called "Goop". It is a non-toxic hand cleaner that works wonders on all things white and gray. Try your local Wal-Mart or hardware store.

dab
Sep. 14, 2009, 11:09 PM
Try searching -- There have been several threads on this topic --

I think it's most important to not let stains get set in -- Also, be careful not to use products that dry the hair -- I think dry hair sort of sucks up stains and makes them more difficult to remove --

Also, tail bags are wonderful -- Make sure you know how to tie them correctly --

Kenike
Sep. 15, 2009, 12:51 AM
Spray n Wash. Seriously! Use it on the grey and white pony tail. Never dries the hair out, gets them insanely white, is pretty cheap, and just works.

alliekat
Sep. 15, 2009, 07:07 AM
oxi-clean.
My daughters pali lived out 24-7 and this is what we used on his tail. Worked great.

tidy rabbit
Sep. 15, 2009, 08:05 AM
I second the oxy clean suggestion. It works especially well on really tough to get out tail gunk.

I use Quick Silver for their bodies and legs though. Something about the idea of putting the oxy clean on their skin bothers me. Although Quick Silver is probably even worse.

LH
Sep. 15, 2009, 08:24 AM
What ever suggest above works, make sure you do it regularly - at least once a week, even in the winter. The key is to keep up on the stains on the horse and in the tail, and not let them "set."

spmoonie
Sep. 15, 2009, 09:28 AM
I've used WOW whitener and it works ok to help lift stains. If you did that for several days, and then tried one of the other methods mentioned, it should work pretty well.

GGsuperpony
Sep. 15, 2009, 10:15 AM
Baking soda and peroxide toothpaste - but follow up with conditioner immediately since it will dry the tail a little.

Tap2Tango
Sep. 15, 2009, 05:20 PM
Simple Green, the natural house hold cleaner.

Go Fish
Sep. 15, 2009, 07:00 PM
Tide with bleach for the tail! work great.

Yep.

I also have a friend that swears by glycerin, but I think that only works on manure stains.

Go Fish
Sep. 15, 2009, 07:01 PM
Spray n Wash. Seriously! Use it on the grey and white pony tail. Never dries the hair out, gets them insanely white, is pretty cheap, and just works.

I bet that would work.

sansibar
Sep. 15, 2009, 07:33 PM
what about the spray paint they sell for white horses? I maaged to turn my chestnut horses tail white with that once lol

Hunter Mom
Sep. 16, 2009, 09:53 AM
what about the spray paint they sell for white horses? I managed to turn my chestnut horses tail white with that once lol

NO! We have a girl at our barn who has a cute paint she's trying to teach to jump. They used this on her and it turned out terribly. The poor pony sweated and the "paint" they put on her body ran. Then, she swished her tail, and the "paint" in her tail stuck on the rest of her body. It was not a good look.

One of the women I work with has a white mare, and she swears by the spray-on soap (the kind you hook onto your hose) to remove stains and get her white. I love SuperPoo from Absorbine for DD's paint - her white sparkles.

Movin Artfully
Sep. 16, 2009, 10:44 AM
Quic-Silver. It turns our grey-white and our palomino mane- california blond. Made for horses.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productClassId=24

ToughEnough
Sep. 25, 2009, 10:42 PM
I used to use this stuff called Gentian Blue Violet, you can get it through the pharmacy at like Target or something for a little over a dollar (I haven't a clue as to what it's pharmaceutical use is... but no prescription needed). It's this little bottle of the stuff that makes the Quic Silver purple.
Anyhow, I usually washed my pony's tail first with Quic Silver, then made a bucket of water with like 15-20 drops (comes with a dropper) of the Gentian Violet and soaked his tail in it for a minute or so, then washed it out with regular shampoo. Make sure you wash it really well though or it'll turn them purple like Quic Silver does!
But he was always glowing! Plus, I used the same bottle for over a year of really frequent showing (and random tail washings when I wasn't) and I never ran out!