PDA

View Full Version : Dressage Related Reading

Dressage.For.Life.
Sep. 14, 2009, 09:58 PM
There's lot of books out there on dressage and I was wondering what the COTHers recommended! There's quite a few on classical versus 'modern' dressage and many other subjects, but I'm afraid I can't buy them all (at one time ;) ). Books by the "masters" of dressage are great- I'm loving James Fillis' book.

So what are your favorite dressage / riding related books? What do you like about those books?

Hopefully this will help more than just me :yes:

Ellie&Werther
Sep. 14, 2009, 10:34 PM
I just finished reading both the Principals of Riding and Advanced Dressage Techniques by The German Equestrian Federation. They were really good for a dressage newbie like me because they took a lot of basic dressage ideas and were able to present them in a clear, succinct manner. As the owner of a German bred Hannoverian, I did find it funny though that they took every opportunity possible to promote the superiority of German bred horses.

slc2
Sep. 15, 2009, 08:37 AM
Why not? They're pretty superior, from what I've seen.

gallopinggram
Sep. 15, 2009, 09:46 AM
One of my favorite books ever - My Horses, My Teachers by Alois Podhajsky, Director of The Spanish Riding School for many years. Not a how-to book, but a really good read.

Ambrey
Sep. 15, 2009, 11:07 AM
Jane Savoie and Mary Wanless :)

sayyadina
Sep. 15, 2009, 05:58 PM
Second Alois Podhajsky. Both 'My Horses, My Teachers' and 'Complete Training of Horse & Rider'.

The english translation of 'School of Horsemanship' by Gueriniere.

All 3 of Jean Claude Racinet's books.

And my current favorite is 'Twisted Truths of Modern Dressage' by Philippe Karl.

JanDinWA
Sep. 15, 2009, 08:13 PM
Dressage for the 21st Century by Paul Belasik - it is well written and has really great pictures showing how things look when right and wrong. I also enjoyed his other books.