PDA

View Full Version : Tips and tricks for grooming and saving money

forestergirl99
Sep. 14, 2009, 08:17 PM
So pretty much everyone has little tricks for getting your horse to look super clean, to save money, ect. Now there are the obvious ones like you can use human shampoo and conditioner and using baby powder to make their white markings look super white, but what are some of your more creative ones?

One of mine is that I use baby shampoo to wash my horse's face because it's nontoxic and NO TEAR!!!! So if I get a little in his eyes, it isn't the end of the world! Plus it's also very gentle so you don't have to spend forever annoying the crap out of your poor horse making sure you get every single darn last stupid molecule of shampoo out! :lol:

forestergirl99
Sep. 14, 2009, 09:57 PM
Does no one have any??? :( I thought there would be quite a few.

Dakotawyatt
Sep. 14, 2009, 09:58 PM
I always rinse my horse with a little white vinegar and water after a bath to cut any soap residue and give his coat a super shine!

Duckz
Sep. 14, 2009, 10:05 PM
My mom used to show an appy in the hunter divisions. He was mostly black with just a couple small white spots. One judge in particular hated the appys and refused to pin them, so mom would take black hoof polish and do touch ups :lol: Not sayin' it was right, but I'm still laughing about it to this day :D

Horseymama
Sep. 14, 2009, 10:16 PM
Burt's Bees baby diaper cream to soothe and prevent sunburn on sensitive white nosies. Lasts forever, too.

analise
Sep. 14, 2009, 10:30 PM
Every time we've gone riding down to the river (or, more recently, in the salty water of the Chesapeake bay), the horses have come back with sparkling white socks! I don't know if that is really practical for show-grooming though. =P Maybe it's something about the soaking, dissolves all the dirt out. Might actually be worth a shot, if you have a horse that doesn't mind standing for a soak in a bucket.

Uh, anyway. I've used baby oil from the dollar store for getting tangles out of manes and tails. I've got pictures somewhere of a mule tail that basically is a single club full of burrs and knots. With a couple people working diligently for a while and a lot of baby oil, she got a real tail back and no scissors were involved to get the knots out!

I want to say Vaseline for hoof conditioner but I don't know if I'm making that up or if it's something I actually remember from when I was a kid taking lessons.

shadytrake
Sep. 14, 2009, 11:01 PM
Target brand Head & Shoulders dandruff shampoo for rain rot/scurf. It is so much cheaper than MTG, is not sticky, and is the only thing that works on my gelding's face.

Ivory Snow for keeping white horses white. I don't have a white horse, but I have never seen this kind of white on any horse "blinding white" and they swear it is the Ivory Snow powder laundry detergent.

http://www.touchstonevalleyfarm.com/P1SM.jpg

Simbalism
Sep. 15, 2009, 12:30 AM
I guess my money saving tip is that I rarely bathe my horse. Only for shows or clinics. For really hot days, I add a little Vetrolin to water and wipe down sweaty areas. In the winter, I may add just a bit of rubbing alcohol to a towel and rub away sweat marks. My mare does wear a fly sheet in the summer(she lives out 24/7) and in the winter is blanketed so she stays pretty clean.
I make my own linament with herbs, rubbing alcohol and witch hazel.
In the past, I have also made my own hoof ointment, but lately have been using the Corona, it's a large jar and lasts forever. I do my own clipping and mane pulling. For sponges, I use the cheapos that I can get at the Dollar store.

LulaBell
Sep. 15, 2009, 10:33 AM
Simbalism, would you mind posting your "recipe" for your homemade liniment?

JLC7898
Sep. 15, 2009, 03:12 PM
After a nice warm scrubby bath i fill up a bucket of pretty warm water and squeeze quite a bit of conditioner in,and let it dissolve. I sponge it on and let him sit for a bit, i imagine you could leave it on but i prefer to rinse. They are always very shiny and soft afterwards.

TheRedFox
Sep. 15, 2009, 03:26 PM
Prell Shampoo for a delightfully smelling steed. Mix some warm water, white vinegar and vetroline and sponge over horsey for a high-gloss finish. Makes those dapples really sparkle.

Simbalism
Sep. 16, 2009, 01:56 AM
The linament that I make is pretty easy. I get a big wide mouth container and add equal amounts of rosemary, lobelia, lavender, and arnica, then add equal amounts of rubbing alcohol and witch hazel to just cover the herbs. Let it sit for about 2 weeks. Then drain off liquid into a container( I usually save the witch hazel and alcohol bottles). The herbs last quite a while(2-3 months) and I just add some more alcohol and witch hazel to the container. I used to use Bigeloil(sp?) and my mare hated it.It burned my hands and my horse would stomp her feet, so I'm sure it was burning her legs as well.

copper1
Sep. 16, 2009, 06:47 AM
A clean towel and lots of elbow grease!

TeamBrickman
Sep. 16, 2009, 09:14 AM
Suave shampoo and a jelly scrubber for baths, and Bon Ami for socks and other whites.

virtus02
Sep. 16, 2009, 01:55 PM
mix a little baby oil with water and spray all over for a beautiful shiny coat! It also works really well to put baby oil on scuff and dandruff and scrub it right off. Skin-so-soft baby oil, in particular, mixed with water works as mosquito repellent.

luvs2ridewbs
Sep. 16, 2009, 02:05 PM
doesn't the baby oil attract dust?

Maya01
Sep. 16, 2009, 02:48 PM
doesn't the baby oil attract dust?

Yah, That is what I was just wondering :S Baby oil may not be the best :lol:

Vaseline is good for moisturizing hooves and noses.
Always spray your braids with hair spray.
There is a product called White on White that is used for dogs and works absolute WONDERS on socks. It is by Chris Christopherson and you can find it in most professional dog grooming supply places. They also have Black on Black and Red on Red which work wonders too.
Clean Start by the same brand as above is cheap (10 CND) and really add shine to the horses coat while still keeping the texture. After Bath is also really good from them as a coat conditioner and great for tails. Thick and thicker is phenomenal to put in your horses mane so there is that added amount of texture for your braids. And you can use all that on your dog too!
Another dog groomer aimed company BestShot has a nature, non-toxic fly spray that works as well as your typical chemical infused one. It is safer and healthier for you and your horse.
To trim a mane that doesn't need pulling, you can make your first cut with normal scissors, and purchase a mid-priced pair of thinning shears (from a dog grooming place, more selection, better quality and better prices) to make the lines rougher. It is a hell of a lot easier than pulling it all the time ;)

And for a money saving tip:
Buy your clippers at a dog groomer supply store - they are significantly cheaper than those from a tackstore :yes:

BAC
Sep. 16, 2009, 02:53 PM
One of mine is that I use baby shampoo to wash my horse's face because it's nontoxic and NO TEAR!!!! So if I get a little in his eyes, it isn't the end of the world! Plus it's also very gentle so you don't have to spend forever annoying the crap out of your poor horse making sure you get every single darn last stupid molecule of shampoo out! :lol:

According to a chemist I know, baby shampoo is no more gentle than any other shampoo, it is detergent, just like all the others. The reason it doesn't burn your eyes is because baby shampoo is made to have the same pH as the fluid in your eyes, thus no reaction. And horses have a different pH than humans anyway. Not completely rinsing baby shampoo off your horse is no better/worse than leaving on any other soap. Add a rinse of vinegar/water to cut any residual soap/shampoo and add some extra shine when you're done bathing or else use Lucky Braids shampoo, which rinses off easily.

forestergirl99
Sep. 16, 2009, 03:32 PM
According to a chemist I know, baby shampoo is no more gentle than any other shampoo, it is detergent, just like all the others. The reason it doesn't burn your eyes is because baby shampoo is made to have the same pH as the fluid in your eyes, thus no reaction. And horses have a different pH than humans anyway. Not completely rinsing baby shampoo off your horse is no better/worse than leaving on any other soap. Add a rinse of vinegar/water to cut any residual soap/shampoo and add some extra shine when you're done bathing or else use Lucky Braids shampoo, which rinses off easily.

well i've gotten some of the suds around his eyes before, and he hasn't shown any discomfort. it works alright for me, so i'll just keep using it. =)

BAC
Sep. 16, 2009, 04:15 PM
well i've gotten some of the suds around his eyes before, and he hasn't shown any discomfort. it works alright for me, so i'll just keep using it. =)

He probably wouldn't show any discomfort if you had gotten any other shampoo around his eyes either (which is quite different from getting soap in the eye). People just don't want to believe that baby shampoo isn't any more gentle than all the rest. But as long as you are happy with it that's all that matters.

forestergirl99
Sep. 16, 2009, 08:38 PM
He probably wouldn't show any discomfort if you had gotten any other shampoo around his eyes either (which is quite different from getting soap in the eye). People just don't want to believe that baby shampoo isn't any more gentle than all the rest. But as long as you are happy with it that's all that matters.

What is the difference between soap and shampoo? I mean other than when it comes to humans, one of for hair and one is for body. :confused:

AppendixQHLover
Sep. 16, 2009, 09:49 PM
Dollar store is your friend..

Spray bottles
Shampoo & condition
Sponges
Washclothes
Baby wipes

I use baby wipes a lot at shows for myself and the horse. I clean my own face off with it, last minute scrubs on horse since he is turned out at night and emergency boot dust off.

Murphy's oil soap isntead of the fancy leather polish. To clean my bits..I soak in hot water and use a tooth brush(dollar store).

Oldenburg99
Sep. 17, 2009, 09:02 AM
Pantene makes a colored shampoo called Silver Expressions - great for white markings! and half the price of quicsilver!