PDA

View Full Version : Brookfield,Ct area boarding

Glorybee
Sep. 14, 2009, 07:03 PM
I just moved to Brookfield, CT and am in the process of finding a new boarding facility that is closer to home. I don't have to have an indoor, although one would be nice. Basically I am looking for a friendly barn with caring and knowledgeable people good turn out is also important. I'm pretty self sufficient, but quite anxious about moving my mare. Having grown up in Westchester,NY, Connecticut is the like the land of the lost for me. Any ideas or advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Hunter/JumperMom
Sep. 14, 2009, 07:25 PM
Starlight Farm in New Milford is very nice and laid back. An easy ride from Brookfield, also Shallowbrook in Bridgewater. Many, many in Newtown. What are you looking for? True barn, just boarding, what about showing? I can def help. Starlight is Heather Carlson, an eventer, its a fun place, many dirt roads and a large indoor.

rlaracue
Sep. 14, 2009, 07:58 PM
I am also looking in CT in this area (live in Southbury area). Isn't Shallowbrook just a basic boarding barn with hunting trails?

I didn't know they had an indoor.

What do you recommend in Newtown especially for someone between horses? Looking for good jumper training and quality lessons horses.

Thanks.

Starlight Farm in New Milford is very nice and laid back. An easy ride from Brookfield, also Shallowbrook in Bridgewater. Many, many in Newtown. What are you looking for? True barn, just boarding, what about showing? I can def help. Starlight is Heather Carlson, an eventer, its a fun place, many dirt roads and a large indoor.

Hunter/JumperMom
Sep. 14, 2009, 08:18 PM
for lesson horses, not sure where to go anymore, stepping stone in ridgefield always had a lesson program, as did the ridge in newtown. For Southbury, have you looked at willow creek. Again not sure about lesson horses, or BrushY Hill in Southbury, they may have lesson horses.

I rode at Shallowbrook as a kid not sure who is there now, but def a low key farm and i think two outdoor rings and an indoor, and plenty of trails!

Glorybee
Sep. 14, 2009, 08:22 PM
I could go either way. At the last barn I was working in exchange for reduced board. I don't need that situation, but money is something I need to think about. I can trailer out for lessons to, if need be. ultimately, a good ring (even if only an outdoor) and good turnout are important to me. And someone who knows how to handle mares ( women can be tough!):D. Presently, I am not at a "show barn", but we do have show quality horses, and we do show at anything from the local shows up to the local A rated shows. We also have a great trainer who comes in to help us, if we don't trailer out to her barn. I'm willing and ready to do some foot work in order to find the right place. So far it's been more like hit or miss on-line searches. What can you tell me about Shallow Brook? That is pretty close to here.

Kitty
Sep. 14, 2009, 08:23 PM
Shalimar Fields in Monroe is another top choice. Great indoor, gorgeous outdoor sand ring, wonderful footing in both!! Nice people, nice paddocks!!

Hunter/JumperMom
Sep. 14, 2009, 08:26 PM
Id say Shalimar is a hike, not sure how current this is but http://www.shallow-brook.com/index.htm

I wish Starlight had a website, but she doesnt, she can def handle a mare!! haha, that farm is about 20 minutes into new milford from Brookfield High.

HunterJumperLuv
Sep. 14, 2009, 09:00 PM
Stepping stone does still have a lesson program, but it is now run by Janie's daughters, under the name of Starbuck Equestrian (The farm is still stepping stone tho.) PM For more info.

Also, Pat Gregory is out of Newtown, very close to brookfield, and if I remember correctly very afforadable. I think her farm is called Fox Ridge, but I could be wrong. If I think a little longer about it, I'm sure I could come up with more. North Salem is also a mere 20 minutes from brookfield via 84, so you may want to consider farms in that area.

Glorybee
Sep. 16, 2009, 05:39 PM
bump

EventerOP
Sep. 16, 2009, 07:18 PM
I have been to Willow creek farm in Southbury a multiple times this summer. My friend took some lessons and I went to watch a few. Its very nice, great trainer (amie) and they have a dressage ring, jump ring, and a veryy good size indoor. I know they have a smaller barn that is like rough board and you do some chores and its cheaper and then they have the many barn. Im not sure exactly how much it is, but I do think its pricey.
I have also heard great things about brushy hill in the southbury area, I think?

I know this is a bit off topic but Im always looking for boarding barns in either hartford county or litchfield county . . . if anyone knows of any? Im dying to get my horse out of the barn shes at now.

Thankss & good luck!

luise
Sep. 16, 2009, 09:38 PM
I have been to Willow creek farm in Southbury a multiple times this summer. My friend took some lessons and I went to watch a few. Its very nice, great trainer (amie) and they have a dressage ring, jump ring, and a veryy good size indoor. I know they have a smaller barn that is like rough board and you do some chores and its cheaper and then they have the many barn. Im not sure exactly how much it is, but I do think its pricey.
I have also heard great things about brushy hill in the southbury area, I think?

I know this is a bit off topic but Im always looking for boarding barns in either hartford county or litchfield county . . . if anyone knows of any? Im dying to get my horse out of the barn shes at now.

Thankss & good luck!

At Willow Creek the lower barns are rough board--so you do everything, clean, feed, turnout, etc. The main/new barn is $975.

Glorybee
Sep. 17, 2009, 06:50 PM
I did go up to Willow Creek. Great barn and indoor - very nice people. The turnout didn't look so hot. It's a bit far for me too. I'm going to check out fox ridge this weekend. I wish I could find a NICE barn in the Newtown area that doesn't have an indoor, but good turnout and a good outdoor ring. With knowledgeable people that would be ideal because hopefully the board wouldn't be too much money. The price at Willow Creek was doable. I also need to buy a trailer - ugh!!!!

Glorybee
Sep. 17, 2009, 07:01 PM
Found a website for Starlight. Sent an e-mail!

Hunter/JumperMom
Sep. 17, 2009, 07:15 PM
Glorybee - im thinking you found a website for a starlight - but not the one in new milford, maybe georgia? Prior to this I know she worked at Old Salem and Shallowbrook, so not just eventing,as kids we did hunt seat.

try this - though no website, an email and number

HEATHER CARLSON STARLIGHT FARMS
503 Long Mountain Rd.
New Milford, CT
(860) 354-1623 carlsonheath@sbcglobal.net
Specialty: Eventing since 1985, Heather has a passion for horses, people and the safety of our sport. She has competed up through CCI** level and has many students ranging from beginner novice through preliminary. With facilities in both New Milford and Aiken, SC, Heather competes and coaches year round in Areas I, II, and III. Facilities include indoor and outdoor arenas with a variety of jumps as well as dirt roads for conditioning.

Glorybee
Sep. 17, 2009, 07:41 PM
Hunter/jumpermom -

it was the New Milford one. On Long Mountain rd. I typed in Starlight and New Milford, CT. Do they also have a farm in SC? Glad to hear she has hunter/jumper experience too. Thank you for the contact info. If I was on the right page, I know Rosemarie ( the vet) who has pictures on the website.

Hunter/JumperMom
Sep. 17, 2009, 08:38 PM
yup guess she does have a website! did find it once I put in New Milford. And yes, Rosemary is great, she worked on my old guy before I retired him! good luck, I'm a little bias as I have known heather since we were 4! It's a great place!

Atypical
Sep. 17, 2009, 11:04 PM
I wouldn't go to Starlight. Personal preference

Lucassb
Sep. 18, 2009, 10:36 AM
I have tried both Fox Ridge & Willow Creek... would not recommend either one.

SpiritInTheSkye
Sep. 18, 2009, 01:27 PM
Check you PM's Glorybee

rlaracue
Sep. 18, 2009, 02:57 PM
If its no to Fox Ridge and Willow Creek what would you recommend.

I have tried WC and while they are nice I didn't stay there long.

No experience with Fox Ridge.

luise
Sep. 18, 2009, 03:28 PM
Some people can never be pleased and go through 3 barns in 3 years. Just keep that in mind.

Horseless1
Sep. 18, 2009, 07:58 PM
Maybe try Huntingtown Farm in Newtown. It's in southern Newtown, - not sure if it's close enough to Brookfield, but it's not far from Fox Ridge. I hear they have nice turnout and a nice outside ring - no indoor. I've never been there so I can't give more info than that.

Have you checked out this listing? http://www.justhorses.com/15.html

Good luck!

luise
Sep. 18, 2009, 08:24 PM
Also try Second Act Farm in Roxbury. Not sure if there is a h/j trainer there. There's also Far Meadow Farm in Morris. Might be too far, but depends where in Brookfield you are.

Glorybee
Sep. 18, 2009, 08:32 PM
LucassB where did you end up? I remember your search. pm me if you want. I really want to look closely at all options. Some very helpful suggestions so far, so thank you to everyone.

Glorybee
Sep. 18, 2009, 08:34 PM
huntingtontown has been mentioned a few times in different circles... need to find that one to.

Lucassb
Sep. 19, 2009, 06:18 PM
LucassB where did you end up? I remember your search. pm me if you want. I really want to look closely at all options. Some very helpful suggestions so far, so thank you to everyone.

PM sent ;)