PDA

View Full Version : Comments about OTTB pedigree?

Mali
Sep. 14, 2009, 06:19 PM
I picked up this little gelding in Feb. as a small hunter prospect. I'm no expert on TB bloodlines, or hunter bloodlines, and just wondered what might be good/bad about his pedigree? Let's just say he wasn't much of a runner..slower than molasses in January ;)

http://www.pedigreequery.com/cast+out2

Thanks!

harvestmoon
Sep. 14, 2009, 07:04 PM
Well, his fourth dam, Blade Of Time, produced the mare Kerala, who is the dam of Damascus. That's pretty cool. :D

vineyridge
Sep. 14, 2009, 07:13 PM
H/J lines for sure. Foolish Pleasure and Forty Niner are excellent.

MintHillFarm
Sep. 14, 2009, 07:16 PM
I think nicely bred, not sure hunter wise, but for the track... His Dad, Sunday Break was a Grade 2 winner by Forty Niner and won over $450,000. I think he is in France now. His grandfather on his dam's side was Foolish Pleasure who won the KY Derby and other Grade 1's, he was also 2nd in the Preakness and Belmont...and prior to that 2 Year Old Champion. He won over 1.2 million. His mom, Chilly Lilly was unplaced in 3 starts.

harvestmoon
Sep. 14, 2009, 07:38 PM
Also has a half brother by Boundary that won $900,000+ in Japan.

EquineRacers
Sep. 14, 2009, 07:43 PM
The only thing I really see is that Storm Cat. Sometimes the Storm Cat lines the horses can be a bit difficult to deal with. VERY smart, but bosey, arrogent, stubborn, etc. You'll have to report back to us and tell us what you think of him!

Mali
Sep. 14, 2009, 08:21 PM
The only thing I really see is that Storm Cat. Sometimes the Storm Cat lines the horses can be a bit difficult to deal with. VERY smart, but bosey, arrogent, stubborn, etc. You'll have to report back to us and tell us what you think of him!

He is VERY smart, not too bossy, and is super easy! I never (in a million years) would've thought I'd end up with a TB, but I absolutely am in love with him! I'm hoping he's my "old lady" horse...and so far, he is.

SleepyFox
Sep. 14, 2009, 08:30 PM
Well, his fourth dam, Blade Of Time, produced the mare Kerala, who is the dam of Damascus. That's pretty cool. :D

And, there is a nice Rasmussen Factor inbreeding to Blade of Time through the second dam of Sunday Break (JPN). Always nice to see inbreeding to strong mares.

That's an old female family! Nice to see those lines so close up.

Good luck with him.

Mali
Sep. 14, 2009, 09:00 PM
Hopefully this link works for some photos of him:

http://community.webshots.com/album/574662483ZGtbTd

Equilibrium
Sep. 16, 2009, 06:32 AM
What a nice boy Cindy! I watched the video. He's very cute and looks like he tries for you.

Good luck with him!

Terri

danceronice
Sep. 16, 2009, 10:36 AM
I'm just mildly boggled to see such a young horse with Black Toney within five generations! :eek: That's some old, OLD blood there.

Mali
Sep. 16, 2009, 04:58 PM
I'm just mildly boggled to see such a young horse with Black Toney within five generations! :eek: That's some old, OLD blood there.

Maybe that's why he has pretty decent feet! I pulled his shoes back in Feb, and he's been barefoot (and under saddle) since. His walls are definately getting thicker, and his soles have a nice concavity to them. Other than a mild case of WLD and very small toe crack (same location) his feet are in great shape! Let's hope the old blood passes on good soundness!

JGHIRETIRE
Sep. 18, 2009, 12:55 AM
I thought the same thing as Dancer -some nice older lines there. He's very cute.

Vitriolic
Sep. 18, 2009, 06:42 AM
Here is his Keeneland catalog page:
https://secure.keeneland.com/livesales/Showconsignor.asp?saleid=51&conid=52759

I like to see the distance points in a sport horse's dosage profile. They seem to be a good thing in jumpers and eventers. :)

Mali
Sep. 18, 2009, 07:15 AM
Here is his Keeneland catalog page:
https://secure.keeneland.com/livesales/Showconsignor.asp?saleid=51&conid=52759

I like to see the distance points in a sport horse's dosage profile. They seem to be a good thing in jumpers and eventers. :)

How do you read those (not the catalog page), but the dosage profile? I've never known what all of the numbers mean next to the name at the top of the pedigree. I assume this is the area you're referring to...

Heart's Journey
Sep. 18, 2009, 07:59 AM
Forty Niner was no slouch either - finished 2nd (by only a head) in the KY Derby to Winning Colors. He won 2.7 million on the track and has sired some really fast babies.

Mali
Oct. 3, 2009, 06:23 PM
I just thought I'd come on and give a little update on my boy (absolutely shameless brag). He did his every first hunter pace today, and LED the entire ride! He probably spent 75% of it "on the buckle"! He earned an "SS" (superstar) in front of his name today ;) He will now be known around the barn as "SS Bogey". What an amazing 3yo! His trainers did a fantastic job with him prior to giving him to me. They recognized his lack of running ability and instead of running him in the lower ranks, decided to put him into a new vocation a.s.a.p! Kudos to them for starting him right and making his transition from track to show arena so much easier for me!

Frog
Oct. 3, 2009, 06:53 PM
That's great news!! I hope you had a blast with him. I looked at the pictures- he is nice looking and looks very kind to boot.

Mali
Oct. 25, 2009, 02:08 PM
His first official show was today & he took a third (flat) and first (trot poles) in his two classes. That gave him reserve champion in his division (baby green hunter)! He was perfect & just hung out by the in-gate and was a complete gentleman. God I love this horse!

Arcadien
Oct. 25, 2009, 03:34 PM
Good for you two, congrats! I love to see an OTTB going on to wow the sport horse world! Best of luck, nothing like a good OTTB sport horse!

jengersnap
Oct. 25, 2009, 09:47 PM
Thumbs up! He's a cutie indeed! SS!