PDA

View Full Version : Ottawa, ON Canada: H/J Training/Boarding Facilities

cgray0983
Sep. 14, 2009, 05:11 PM
I have a friend that needs to relocate from the Bay Area in CA to Ottawa. She is unfamiliar with the area and will be doing some research on barns once she gets there, but I think some suggestions may help to point her in the right direction. She is not on COTH so I thought I would reach out.

Some background on her and her horse so that I can collect some trainers/barns that would suit her needs. She has an 8 y/o NZPH gelding and they are currently jumping the 1.10m/AA with definite potential to move up to the A/Os in the next couple years.

It would be awesome if some of you could send me some suggestions via PM or post barn links here. It was a sudden move and although she is waiting to move her horse until she finds the perfect place for her boy, I am sure a few leads would be helpful when she moves in a couple weeks.

Thanks!

Limerick
Sep. 14, 2009, 07:30 PM
You mean Ottawa, Ontario right??

If so, Jill Henselwood (Juniper Farms) and Ian Millar (Millarbrooke) are about an hour from there.

This is a good place to ask too:

http://www.equiman.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=1&page=1

cgray0983
Sep. 14, 2009, 08:11 PM
Yes, sorry - should have specified! Will change thread title. Thanks for the link!

Quinn
Sep. 14, 2009, 09:10 PM
Coming from CA, she will definitely need a toque and long underwear. Am I correct Limerick???

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

Canadapony
Sep. 14, 2009, 10:56 PM
I forget the name of the stable (I think FoxBridge) but the Bova's are very good and are in that area

Limerick
Sep. 14, 2009, 11:37 PM
Coming from CA, she will definitely need a toque and long underwear. Am I correct Limerick???

At least she'll have poutine, Quinn. At least she'll have poutine.
:lol:

Limerick
Sep. 14, 2009, 11:38 PM
I forget the name of the stable (I think FoxBridge) but the Bova's are very good and are in that area
I was going to suggest Carrie Bova too-beautiful facility, excellent care, and very knowledgeable.

http://www.foxbridge.ca/

I have been gone for five years now so I'm not sure how much they're still doing but it's worth checking out. Carrie has a lot of good contacts too.

Quinn
Sep. 15, 2009, 08:32 AM
mmmmm poutine.

Bravestrom
Sep. 15, 2009, 08:54 AM
seems to me there is another one in ottawa that used to be a student of Jill - I think her name was Kim Farthingale or something like that.

crackerjack
Sep. 15, 2009, 09:05 AM
PM sent

crackerjack
Sep. 15, 2009, 09:08 AM
I was going to suggest Carrie Bova too-beautiful facility, excellent care, and very knowledgeable.

http://www.foxbridge.ca/

I have been gone for five years now so I'm not sure how much they're still doing but it's worth checking out. Carrie has a lot of good contacts too.

They do the Quebec A's (including obviously Ottawa) and I did see them at some of the the local Trillium shows this year.

Jealoushe
Sep. 15, 2009, 10:29 AM
Also sent a PM!

mikali
Sep. 15, 2009, 11:01 AM
Jill Henselwood is in Oxford Mills (just outside of Kemptville).
Ian, Jonathon and Amy Millar are in Perth (about 1hr from Ottawa).
Two of Jill's former students are now on there own and teaching (1) Kim Farlinger (near Kemptville) and (2) Kelley Small (Russell) as well as one of Ian's former students, Lauren Hunkin, who is just outside of Kemptville as well.

Jill and Kim head to California for the winter, the Millar's and Kelley head to West Palm and Lauren goes to Ocala (or at least that is where everyone went last year).

If you are looking for stables that in the Ottawa area but stay home for the winter and focus more on the local shows then there are many to chose from: the Bova's at Foxbridge, Colleen and Tracy Howards at Fox-Run, Jeff & Bridget McKessock at Westar Farms, Amanda Hay at Elmcroft, Becky Nuth at Fiddler's Green Stables, etc., etc...

There are a lot of barns in the area, each offering something a little different. I'm sure your friend will be able to find something that suits her needs.

cgray0983
Sep. 15, 2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks all! And I think she is prepared - she is from Canada originally ;)

Jealoushe
Sep. 15, 2009, 04:15 PM
Does this move have anything to do with hockey...?

cgray0983
Sep. 15, 2009, 04:21 PM
Yep ;)

Just sent you a PM back.

Limerick
Sep. 15, 2009, 05:23 PM
My husband, a hockey nut, wants to know if it has anything to do with a new Sens player named Jonathan??

:)

If so, in addition to poutine, she'll have Pesto's-the best Italian place ever. Miss it so much!!

Limerick
Sep. 15, 2009, 05:24 PM
They do the Quebec A's (including obviously Ottawa) and I did see them at some of the the local Trillium shows this year.

Good to know. :) I was trying to figure out how old her girls are now....it's been a long time.

cgray0983
Sep. 15, 2009, 05:26 PM
My husband, a hockey nut, wants to know if it has anything to do with a new Sens player named Jonathan??

:)

If so, in addition to poutine, she'll have Pesto's-the best Italian place ever. Miss it so much!!

:D Uh-huh. We will be sad to see them go, but such a great opportunity for them :-)

authentic pony
Sep. 15, 2009, 09:19 PM
Too bad....the Leafs would have been a much better team... :(

:D

(sorry, nothing else to contribute. except i think she's CRAZY to leave California for this frigid icebox!)

jvanrens
Sep. 16, 2009, 05:51 AM

:D

(sorry, nothing else to contribute. except i think she's CRAZY to leave California for this frigid icebox!)

Now seriously, do we need to take a look at the stats? :lol: The Maple Laughs haven't had a good team in years.

Kelley Small (Russell)

I live in Russell! Which farm? I can only think of one farm, and have no idea what the name is (know the owners first name but that's it). I drive by it on my beer runs to Embrun when I go straight from the farm. Is it on Groves Road? Beautiful new indoor, great jumps! :yes:

Jealoushe
Sep. 16, 2009, 11:04 AM

haha good one !

Limerick
Sep. 16, 2009, 11:26 AM
Where is Sandy (Big Ben's old groom) these days? She was good with jumpers.

mikali
Sep. 16, 2009, 12:23 PM
Limerick - Sandi Patterson is working with Jill Henselwood.

jvanrens - Kelley is at the Moynans farm (previously home to Paul Halpern), so yes that is the one on Groves Road.

authentic pony - I'm with jvanrens on this one, let's not even get into the Leafs debate, it's not worth the aggrevation :rolleyes:

cgray0983 - Please pass along a warm welcome to your friend from me, I will be cheering 'loud & proud' for the Sens from my usual seats - I hope that Jonathon feels right at home and has a successful season :D