PDA

View Full Version : Who's watching the Keeneland sale?

Gallop On
Sep. 14, 2009, 04:10 PM
There are so many stunningly beautiful horses going through there, and I hear there are lots of RNAs. Who wants to buy a few with me? (I wish!)

MintHillFarm
Sep. 14, 2009, 04:21 PM
Hip # 27 - $450,000 for a colt by Storm Cat out of Serena's Song!

The Azeri yearling filly went for $800,000 - she is by Giant's Causeway.

A 1/2 brother to Ashado, by Unbridled Song, went for $925,000. I like him better than the Storm Cat. I did not see the Azeri filly yet...

smilton
Sep. 14, 2009, 04:33 PM
Sellers/Breeders are definitely taking a hit. Alot of them aren't reaching the stud fee.
I get to go towards the end of next week with some people that are planning on buying a few. Unfortunately work got in the way of going earlier.

DLee
Sep. 14, 2009, 04:49 PM
I was just there, as it is totally safe for me to go in the early days. The last days, when they are at 1k, not so safe. :lol:

Glimmerglass
Sep. 14, 2009, 04:53 PM
I have been watching it off and on live on HRTV

Ray Paulick was live blogging at the sale (http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/live-blogging-the-2009-keeneland-september-yearling-sale-day-one/)

dogdays
Sep. 14, 2009, 05:18 PM
is there an on line feed or link for those that don't have HRTV?

Linny
Sep. 14, 2009, 05:31 PM
It's on the Keeneland.com site.

The Gian't Causeway's generally did less well than hoped in large part because Sh. Mo is still boycotting Coolmore stallions. The horses he bid on (and Sheik Mo was in attendance) were the one that went up over $500k.
Generally, the sale is a mess for sellers but for those with some money to spend, it's been great. Some breeders that rarely sell have offerings, meaning that rarely available pedigrees are on offer. The Overbrook holding are being offered without reserve and again give the buyer a shot at some female families that don't get sold often.

shawneeAcres
Sep. 15, 2009, 01:59 PM
Yes watching now. Good thing I am not there, might be loading up the trailer with some of the cheaper but well bred ones (like I need any horses!!)

War Admiral
Sep. 15, 2009, 02:29 PM
I haven't been watching since I'm at work but a few people are tweeting (on Twitter) live from the sale. Have to admit there have been a few prices where I would have loffed to see what the horse looked like!

Marney
Sep. 15, 2009, 02:31 PM
I have to DVR it during the day so I can take a look in the evening... Some really nice lines going through! I wish I had the cash!

Amyy
Sep. 15, 2009, 02:32 PM
hip 342 by storm cat just sold for 2.05 million

Calico
Sep. 15, 2009, 03:02 PM
hip 342 by storm cat just sold for 2.05 million

out of mult. Gr 1 stks winner Fleet Indian

horsekpr
Sep. 15, 2009, 03:27 PM
Are these yearlings?

ThisTooShallPass
Sep. 15, 2009, 03:41 PM
Yes, yearlings.

War Admiral
Sep. 15, 2009, 04:15 PM
out of mult. Gr 1 stks winner Fleet Indian

Seen pics? Looks like a classic case of "You can't put a saddle on a pedigree" to me...

cindylouwho
Sep. 15, 2009, 04:41 PM
And he out bid Coolmore Stud:)

foundationmare
Sep. 15, 2009, 06:21 PM
Granted, these are very, very well bred yearlings, but, OMG the size and muscle mass on these youngsters blows me away. And these very young horses will start being saddle broke in a few short months and begin serious training by the spring. Is it any wonder so few of them make it to the races and, if they do, continue racing past their 3 y.o. year?

I'm caring for a layup now who was a $300,000 yearling out of Keeneland. He's 4 now, 16.3 hh, still a colt. Well bred (Pulpit out of a Deputy Minister mare) but he's been used up, poor dude. Tons of personality and zest for life but I have my doubts that he'll be serviceable as a riding horse.

Anyway.....I've been to the yearling auctions at Saratoga and, if I had the $$, could be swept up in the lovefest for these gorgeous animals. They truly are spectacular but I worry about the cost of presenting such athletic looking babies to promote marketability.

Not intent on starting a wreck, just an observation from viewing pics of the offerings!

maxxtrot
Sep. 15, 2009, 07:25 PM
the person that sold the storm cat 2.05 mill yearling is a friends client. really nice people,he bought two very pricey broodmares last year at keenland.me personally, not a storm cat fan.

SeeHowSheRuns
Sep. 15, 2009, 07:46 PM
Seen pics? Looks like a classic case of "You can't put a saddle on a pedigree" to me...

Saw the Fleet Indian yearling in the back ring, and he was gorgeous. Of course, having a page like that sure didn't hurt him. however, there were plenty with equally good pages that did not sell for as much as this one, the Serena's Song yearling yesterday is a good example of that. Can't remember her last yearling that did not make a million at the sale.

Mara
Sep. 15, 2009, 09:33 PM
Granted, these are very, very well bred yearlings, but, OMG the size and muscle mass on these youngsters blows me away. And these very young horses will start being saddle broke in a few short months and begin serious training by the spring. Is it any wonder so few of them make it to the races and, if they do, continue racing past their 3 y.o. year?

I'm caring for a layup now who was a $300,000 yearling out of Keeneland. He's 4 now, 16.3 hh, still a colt. Well bred (Pulpit out of a Deputy Minister mare) but he's been used up, poor dude. Tons of personality and zest for life but I have my doubts that he'll be serviceable as a riding horse.

Anyway.....I've been to the yearling auctions at Saratoga and, if I had the $$, could be swept up in the lovefest for these gorgeous animals. They truly are spectacular but I worry about the cost of presenting such athletic looking babies to promote marketability.

Not intent on starting a wreck, just an observation from viewing pics of the offerings!

Yeah, there's something wrong when a yearling Thoroughbred is starting to look like one of those halter-bred Quarter Horse monstrosities.

Anyone here ever bought a sporthorse prospect from the yearling sales? Or know someone who has?

Las Olas
Sep. 15, 2009, 10:42 PM
there were plenty with equally good pages that did not sell for as much as this one, the Serena's Song yearling yesterday is a good example of that. Can't remember her last yearling that did not make a million at the sale.

That's because they haven't. Serena's Tune brought $1M as a yearling, although Arbitrate sold for $260k as a HORA. This yearling wasn't an outstanding individual, so it was no surprise.

LaurieB
Sep. 15, 2009, 11:17 PM

I'd love to know what sort of knowledge that comment is based on. I assume you've seen Storm Cat, Fleet Indian, and the resulting yearling in person and you think that the breeder--not to mention the buyer who spent 2.05M, and the underbidder who went to 2M--all are mistaken about the quality they think they see? :confused:

War Admiral
Sep. 16, 2009, 03:17 AM
Haven't seen it in person, Laurie, but the pics were certainly underwhelming.

Linny
Sep. 16, 2009, 07:45 AM
In order to get into the Select Session, these young horses are given thorough conformation analysis in addition to having their pedigrees assessed. The crooked horse with fabulous pedigree, in theory shouldn't get in here, at least not to the extent that there are "no bids" and $5k Giant's causeway colts. Either someone dropped the ball or something went wrong with the horse between then and now, or he's rads are terrible.

Sleepy
Sep. 16, 2009, 08:41 AM
Anyone here ever bought a sporthorse prospect from the yearling sales? Or know someone who has?

Many years ago I bought all my prospects at mixed sales. I could never afford the yearling sales.

That said, I now have a mare whose sire has quite a few selling this week at Keeneland. She no saled at the Ocala summer sale as a yearling, was brought home and then flunked Racing 101 - twice. :lol: Which is how I got her. :yes: I finally have my In Reality, whose get I oohed and ahhed over years ago and could never afford.

LaurieB
Sep. 16, 2009, 08:45 AM
Haven't seen it in person, Laurie, but the pics were certainly underwhelming.

I guess I saw different pictures than you did. But in person, he certainly looked the part.

DMK
Sep. 16, 2009, 03:00 PM

i bought this guy (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3625/3498976912_6feed6be1a_b.jpg) off the farm a few weeks before the sale (he was entered), in August of last year. His full sister is @ Suffolk and his younger brother just sold for 5K at OBS, which was probably an OK price given the bloodbath that was OBS this year. He's playing at HB to get used to being a showhorse, but like his dad and more famous notreallya half brother, vineyard haven, he's fairly unflappable.

here's what he looked like in full sales prep mode (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3086/2730663732_1fcb977d9e_b.jpg) (albeit standing on a downhill slope - he wasn't really butt high!)

foundationmare
Sep. 16, 2009, 05:55 PM
...when Vineyard Haven won the (Kings' Bishop I think???) and was DQd for interference in the stretch run, I was aghasted at his action! Watching him gallop out I was wondering how in the world he's not only held up to the rigors of racing, but doing it very well! Gotta' have a gigantic heart.

Hope your guy didn't inherit that*shake my head in disbelief*unbelievably ugly front end action. Okay, know you wouldn't have him if he did, but that just blew me away!

BTW, your guy looks great!

DownYonder
Sep. 16, 2009, 05:59 PM
Does anyone know when the 800 series numbers will go? Sometime Thursday, I assume?

maxxtrot
Sep. 16, 2009, 06:08 PM
mara- i buy most of mine from the mixed sales here in ocala. i have bred my mare for my own foals though. really good deals at the mixed sales.there is a mixed sale at obs in oct.

Linny
Sep. 16, 2009, 07:19 PM
Vineyard Haven's action is so bad that he could interfere with a rival passing 10 feet outside him.;) Get a hold of the 2009 NYRA wall callendar and look at his pic (October I think) it will scare you. He runs on it though. That said, he simply wont go over Tapeta and over the long haul will be hard to maintain.

DMK
Sep. 16, 2009, 09:09 PM
...when Vineyard Haven won the (Kings' Bishop I think???) and was DQd for interference in the stretch run, I was aghasted at his action! Watching him gallop out I was wondering how in the world he's not only held up to the rigors of racing, but doing it very well! Gotta' have a gigantic heart.

Hope your guy didn't inherit that*shake my head in disbelief*unbelievably ugly front end action. Okay, know you wouldn't have him if he did, but that just blew me away!

BTW, your guy looks great!

*snork* you tell me... ;)

pic (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3211/2730657038_ec1a2576b0_b.jpg)

pic (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3153/2729822815_e55a946f1c_b.jpg)

And just about the time I think his trot is freaky awesome, I see his canter, and I think his trot isn't that special after all. I remember when the yearling manager put him in the round pen, my friend and i were standing behind him, and when the colt cantered off, we simultaneously stepped back, out of the seller's eyesight and had a mutual jaw drop, and my hand twitched towards my pocketbook.

Actually Dad looked pretty four square and correct as well, and my guy is pretty much a freaky carbon copy, but VH do have himself quite a paddle. I'm not sure if Lido Palace will pass on his durability and git er done racing style, but if one is to judge by Bobby Frankel's comments about training Lido Palace and Vineyard Haven, as well as my experience and feedback from other owners, i'm not sure every trainer will be up to "decoding" them. He seems to be good at passing on his extraordinarily trainable, unruffled, laid back "whatevs" personality. In other words they could be fast, but can you get them to care enough?

SeeHowSheRuns
Sep. 16, 2009, 09:14 PM
Does anyone know when the 800 series numbers will go? Sometime Thursday, I assume?

They finished up somewhere around 815 I believe today, so tomorrow morning 10 AM :)

Frog
Sep. 16, 2009, 09:22 PM
Anyone going this weekend?

DownYonder
Sep. 17, 2009, 06:54 AM
They finished up somewhere around 815 I believe today, so tomorrow morning 10 AM :)

Thanks, I found the schedule!

fish
Sep. 17, 2009, 11:13 AM
Yeah, there's something wrong when a yearling Thoroughbred is starting to look like one of those halter-bred Quarter Horse monstrosities.

I've bought 3, including a tank of a long yearling who was already over 16 hands and 1200lbs. All 3 were very sound sporthorses. I still have my "tank". She's still sound (and IMO, gorgeous) at 21.

Horseforthecourse
Sep. 17, 2009, 06:46 PM
Sometimes, pedigree can give a race horse a lot more class than their conformation suggests. That being said, I have seen a lot of horses who were quite crooked up front going for a lot of money this year. Even with their pedigree, I wouldn't have spent a penny on them. There are some things that I can overlook in a horse's conformation, but when they are extremely splay footed or pigeon toed, or narrow, pedigree really doesn't mean squat to me.

So far, I am really liking what I am seeing from the Freshman sires Henny Hughes, Rockport Harbor, and First Samuri.

Rockport Harbor has stamped his get with his characteristic color and blaze. He's a prepotent fellow.

I think the stallion owners are going to have to lower the stud fees next year. I really think the market needed this 'gut-check' though.

cindylouwho
Sep. 24, 2009, 09:22 AM
It sure looks like the breeders are taking a beating. I checked several sales prices to the current stud fees and most everything I looked at was sold at less than the 2009 stud fee. My guess is the stud fees in 2007 were higher.

I bet there will be a ton of sport horse prospects available... just show up at Keeneland with an empty trailer. They will be giving them away. And most everyone thought that last year's sales was a tough market.

smilton
Sep. 24, 2009, 12:34 PM
I'll be there tomorrow and all weekend. :) Slipping in the UK-Florida game in the middle. People I'm with have already purchased 7. I get to own half of a Smarty Jones Filly as a gift. I don't even know her hip number.

LaurieB
Sep. 24, 2009, 03:46 PM
It sure looks like the breeders are taking a beating. I checked several sales prices to the current stud fees and most everything I looked at was sold at less than the 2009 stud fee. My guess is the stud fees in 2007 were higher.

I bet there will be a ton of sport horse prospects available... just show up at Keeneland with an empty trailer. They will be giving them away. And most everyone thought that last year's sales was a tough market.

We sold two over the weekend, one for a very good price and one whose sale was disappointing. But average them out and we did fine. :)

Many many of these yearlings are selling for below their 2007 stud fees but at this point there are a lot of breeders/sellers who are simply letting their yearlings go for whatever they bring because they have bills to pay.

LaurieB
Sep. 28, 2009, 04:39 PM
Even though you could see it coming, the final results are startling.

The gross was down $135,000,000 -- 42%

The median was down 45%.
Half of the horses that sold went for less than $22,000.

The average was down 36%.

And none of that takes into account the many yearlings that were bought back for prices that were less than their stud fees.

cindylouwho
Sep. 28, 2009, 04:57 PM
I think the sales results are very scary, when this was a select sale. What about the other sales? How bad will they be, when buyers could buy such nice horses for so little money?

Several of my friends took their horses home without a bid. They were lovely horses, with $35,000 to $85,000 stud fees. They had vetted without issue, but no one even looked at the vet report.

Now as a breeder they have a bigger problem. Either giving the horse away, trying to find someone to buy them which is almost impossible, re-prepping them for another sale or sending them to train, which is another expensive path.

Las Olas
Sep. 28, 2009, 05:00 PM
Don't you still have one left to sell?

It'll be interesting to see how far stud fees go down. I saw where Darby Dan has Tale Of Ekati at $15,000 for 2010. :lol::lol::lol:

rcloisonne
Sep. 28, 2009, 05:00 PM
And none of that takes into account the many yearlings that were bought back for prices that were less than their stud fees.
All is not lost. As a yearling, Mine That Bird sold for less than Birdstone's $10,000 stud fee and we all know how that went. ;)

Las Olas
Sep. 28, 2009, 05:12 PM
Several of my friends took their horses home without a bid. They were lovely horses, with $35,000 to $85,000 stud fees. They had vetted without issue, but no one even looked at the vet report.

There is no way that a 'lovely' looking horse with a $35k to $85k stud fee in it, clean radiographs and no one even looked at the reports or vetted them and they brought a no bid. If they were good looking and had that stud fee in them, someone looked at the report. If they brought no bids, then I can assure you they weren't 'lovely.' Good physical with good films will sell.

LaurieB
Sep. 28, 2009, 05:13 PM
Don't you still have one left to sell?

Is that for me? If so, yes, we still have the filly we had to pull from the July sale. She's entered in October but we're not sure whether we'll take her or not (her hip # is at the very end). Fortunately the other 3 we sold left us in pretty good shape--good enough to send that one to the races ourselves if we decide to. :)

Las Olas
Sep. 28, 2009, 05:16 PM
Yes, Laurie, I was asking you. If she's stellar, I'd take her, otherwise I wouldn't bother. I know how much you like racing them :D

LaurieB
Sep. 28, 2009, 05:24 PM
She's pretty stellar, LOL. So much so that I want to keep her--but Mr.LaurieB has other ideas. I figure that the market will probably end up deciding for us. ;)

Las Olas
Sep. 28, 2009, 05:32 PM
You are such a hoarder! Mike will have to rename the farm... Blackburn Farm, dba Dunwoody Farm. :lol:

LaurieB
Sep. 28, 2009, 05:48 PM
You are such a hoarder! Mike will have to rename the farm... Blackburn Farm, dba Dunwoody Farm. :lol:

Trust me, he would not find that funny. :D :eek: :winkgrin:

Edited to add: didn't I promise you pix? Here's the BV colt from KeeSep:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h245/LaurienB/Bo-9-18-09-a.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h245/LaurienB/Bo-9-18-09.jpg

Las Olas
Sep. 28, 2009, 08:18 PM
He's handsome. Sorry I missed it. What do you think of the LDK filly going to the Russians?

Frog
Sep. 28, 2009, 08:25 PM
I went last Sunday (20th)... my first time, very fun. Anyone see 4954 Tiznow colt today?

smilton
Sep. 29, 2009, 12:19 PM
The tiznow colt was a looker and absolutely huge unfortunately his vet page was paragraphs long.

pinkdiamondracing
Sep. 29, 2009, 01:49 PM
On the front page of the Lexington Herald Mis-Leader is a beautiful sabino colt-- hip # 4867? I have never seen a sabino TB before-- he was quite striking!!!

smilton
Sep. 29, 2009, 03:09 PM
There were three "colored" TB's sold yesterday by allmymystic sold by the same farm. One was all white.
Walking around you see so many horses but certain ones stick in your head. We went and looked at several RNA's back at farms all weekend. Farm agents were really struggling to get owners to understand the current market trend. Some people just wanted way too much for their babies. Other owners simply wanted them off the bills and were willing to take any offer.

vineyridge
Sep. 29, 2009, 03:51 PM
Please, please don't use shorthand. :) Who is BV and who is LDK? How do you expect us to learn?

Oops, corrected a mistake to change from DV to BV.

Has there even been a race horse named Deo Volente? What a great name that would be!

Las Olas
Sep. 29, 2009, 03:53 PM
I have never seen a sabino TB before-- he was quite striking!!!

Your girl GRACIE is a sabino chestnut. You didn't notice her big white belly spot when she was somersaulting on the grass gallop at TTC??? :lol:

Las Olas
Sep. 29, 2009, 03:55 PM
Please, please don't use shorthand. :) Who is DV and who is LDK? How do you expect us to learn?

Sorry. LDK = Lemon Drop Kid. LaurieB's LDK filly was purchased by a Russian group.

ETA: I couldn't find DV, so I assume you mean BV? BV = Broken Vow.

DickHertz
Sep. 29, 2009, 03:57 PM
There were three "colored" TB's sold yesterday by allmymystic sold by the same farm. One was all white.
Walking around you see so many horses but certain ones stick in your head. We went and looked at several RNA's back at farms all weekend. Farm agents were really struggling to get owners to understand the current market trend. Some people just wanted way too much for their babies. Other owners simply wanted them off the bills and were willing to take any offer.

I have a good friend with a yearling in the Timonium sale next week who is out a black type producing mare who has thrown several good winners...he's hoping to just get $15,000. He said in a normal year, $50k would be the minimum...at least his expectations are in check. Others should be of the same mind or just race them.

smilton
Sep. 29, 2009, 04:35 PM
We looked at some stellar pedigrees that were in the last few books. Once you watched most of them walk you knew exactly why they were in the last books. One Street Cry filly had an amazing pedigree and a horrid front end but still brought 30,000. I wonder if the people bidding actually looked at her or just the pedigree. Others that RNA'd had absolutely nothing wrong with them. They just fell through the cracks of 5000+ yearlings.
One neat fact that came up is that since we have had x-rays and full vettings at yearling sales there has not been a triple crown winner. You have to wonder what Seattle Slew's vet page would have looked like. Do we really do a better job of choosing individuals now that we have more information?

QHEventr
Sep. 29, 2009, 06:01 PM
We had two in our consignment sell on Sunday. The Birdstone filly (4584) brought considerably less that we had hoped, but was there to sell. Totally clean vet report, rads and scope. Was scoped TWICE on Sunday, and looked amazing. Walked well, out of stakes producing mare, and bred on the same cross as Mine That Bird, and Stone Legacy...The buyers just couldn't get it together when it came time to bid. The Shaniko colt (4747) sold about how we expected barring the fact that two Shanikos sold earlier in the day for FAR above his yearling average. Again, totally clean vet reports, great walk, and quite the looker. Biggest problem was that he only had a handful of solo shows the whole weekend.

Overall we made out better that most. I think for the day we eneded up second leading consignor by average. The sale was a bloodbath for some! However, the good horses, with clean reports, and good pages, were still selling well.

LaurieB
Sep. 29, 2009, 06:21 PM
We had two in our consignment sell on Sunday. The Birdstone filly (4584) brought considerably less that we had hoped, but was there to sell. Totally clean vet report, rads and scope. Was scoped TWICE on Sunday, and looked amazing. Walked well, out of stakes producing mare, and bred on the same cross as Mine That Bird, and Stone Legacy...The buyers just couldn't get it together when it came time to bid. The Shaniko colt (4747) sold about how we expected barring the fact that two Shanikos sold earlier in the day for FAR above his yearling average. Again, totally clean vet reports, great walk, and quite the looker. Biggest problem was that he only had a handful of solo shows the whole weekend.

Overall we made out better that most. I think for the day we eneded up second leading consignor by average. The sale was a bloodbath for some! However, the good horses, with clean reports, and good pages, were still selling well.

I'm just curious...are you sure those scopes on your Birdstone were good? Especially toward the end of the sale, it would have been very unusual for someone to pay for vetting, get a good report, and then not bother to bid.

It seemed to us that vetting was down this year--buyers were relying on the vet reports instead if they trusted the consignor--and no one was paying for vetting unless they were really serious.

QHEventr
Sep. 29, 2009, 06:27 PM
Completly sure...We had an A scope on both yearlings, and was told by the vets that scoped that there was nothing there. Rads were COMPLETELY clean as well!.....I mean the Birdstone filly sold for 17k....not horrible, just not stellar either....we were hoping to be a session topper, as her 3 yr old full sister was as a weanling (60K). Obvioulsy, OK with the price, or the owner would not have let her go.

Las Olas
Sep. 29, 2009, 07:56 PM
Wow, that's too bad. Nothing worse than thinking you have all of the boxes checked and still can't get it done for what you want.

Pronzini
Sep. 29, 2009, 09:26 PM
We looked at some stellar pedigrees that were in the last few books. Once you watched most of them walk you knew exactly why they were in the last books. One Street Cry filly had an amazing pedigree and a horrid front end but still brought 30,000. I wonder if the people bidding actually looked at her or just the pedigree. Others that RNA'd had absolutely nothing wrong with them. They just fell through the cracks of 5000+ yearlings.
One neat fact that came up is that since we have had x-rays and full vettings at yearling sales there has not been a triple crown winner. You have to wonder what Seattle Slew's vet page would have looked like. Do we really do a better job of choosing individuals now that we have more information?

Did you see the Forestry out of Manistique that sold for $1500. I'm sure that's how they drew it up on the board when they planned that mating 2 years ago.

It's an easy game.....

jenarby
Sep. 29, 2009, 10:56 PM
We bought Hip #4626 and #4782. They got here this evening and are both huge and gorgeous. We'll see how they do!

pinkdiamondracing
Sep. 30, 2009, 07:27 AM
Your girl GRACIE is a sabino chestnut. You didn't notice her big white belly spot when she was somersaulting on the grass gallop at TTC??? :lol:

No--- I was so shocked at seeing her go a$$ over tea kettle that I never noticed her splotch!!! LOL:lol::lol:
This colt looked like a Paint, he was mostly white and what looked like gray patches-- really pretty- but I am glad I don't have to get that horse clean for race day- just like I am glad I never rubbed The White Fox!!
I saw that he even had a specially made white halter and bridle, as any other color stained his skin and hair!!:eek::eek:

LaurieB
Sep. 30, 2009, 09:57 AM
We bought Hip #4626 and #4782. They got here this evening and are both huge and gorgeous. We'll see how they do!

Good luck with them! :)

Vitriolic
Sep. 30, 2009, 04:42 PM

I suspect it would not be a bad strategy to not have a catalog or vet report and just go bid on actual animals. :)

Jambalaya, (Langfuhr x Muskrat Suzie-Vice Regent) fetched $2500 at Keeneland in 2003. At least no one can claim to be the underbidder. ;) http://www.pedigreequery.com/jambalaya6 No one told him the vet didn't much like him. After $1.5 million and 8 wins, I think something was bothering him. ;)

Also Van Lear Rose didn't get a bid so was raced by her owner-- all the way to Champion 2 yr old filly in Canada and the Breeder's Cup. I don't know what the vet had to say about her, but I think people should actually look at the animals. :D

Pronzini
Sep. 30, 2009, 06:48 PM
A friend once told me that he was talked off a horse at a sale by a vet. The actual report said "This horse is unraceable."

He remembers that clearly because he went on to see the horse start more than 30 times and win stakes and over a half a million dollars for people who weren't so bothered by fuzzy stuff on x-rays.

Las Olas
Sep. 30, 2009, 07:26 PM
The OBS sales don't pre-vet. You vet after you buy and there's a bone warranty.