PDA

View Full Version : Posture Visualizations

Bobblehead
Sep. 14, 2009, 02:33 PM
I need ideas on how to visualize myself in a "prettier" equitation posture. I'm a very low-level rider who shows only rarely at tiny shows. Yesterday was my one and only for this year. Although I won three classes, the judge identified the same weakness as my regular instructor: I don't sit up quite straight enough. My instructor tells me to "think about angles" or "look like you're a snob" and of course I know the ditty about sticking your boobs out. But none of this is really "me." I'm no beauty in general and have a really hard time relating to this. Does anyone have other visualization ideas that can get me to refine my posture? It's like I'm 90% there but I need that last 10 percent.

RugBug
Sep. 14, 2009, 03:19 PM
Some posture visualizations are:

Pretend a string is attached to the top of your helmet and is pulling you up (keeps you sit up without jutting your chin up and out in your aforementioned "snob" pose)

Pretend a string is attached to your sternum and is pulling up (better then boobs out, which can lead to an overarched back).

KateKat
Sep. 14, 2009, 04:07 PM
I have the same issue as you, leaning forward too much. The string analogy is a good one, or imagine that you have a book on top of your head (doing that for me leads to an immediate change in posture). The other thing I try to imagine is that I'm one of those super fancy dressage riders (which is a far cry from the truth!) who are super straight and have beautiful equitation. Doing this in my minds eye helps me stay straight when my upper body starts to creep forward.

JLC7898
Sep. 14, 2009, 07:28 PM
I used to bring my shoulders back and overarch my back, my Dressage trainer constantly reminded me and still does sometimes to bring my shoulders UP not BACK which helped me sit tall. My position is a thousand times better.

dab
Sep. 14, 2009, 09:59 PM
Sally Swift's books are full of good visualizations --

Also, has anyone videotaped you recently? I find that seeing what I look like helps me correct position flaws --

Bobblehead
Sep. 15, 2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks for all the ideas, I'm going to try the book on the head first. I've actually done that long ago on the ground, so I know how it should feel. Part of my problem seems to be that I do ride dressage as well as hunters, and my instructor reminds me that I do need to be slightly more forward for hunters, and that slight difference seems to be baffling me. I do have a video camera, but finding someone to run it competently isn't easy.

The string attached to the sternum sounds like it might work for me, too. Thanks again!

caradino
Sep. 15, 2009, 12:43 PM
another good one is to pretend that there is a coathanger in your shirt/jacket and you are just 'hanging' down from it. that helps me sit up taller and straighten my shoulders.

rockfordbuckeye
Sep. 21, 2009, 06:51 PM
Videotaping and seeing yourself really helps (though is painful at times).

George Morris's horsemanship videos help too...I think by constantly watching other people do it right, you can't help but emulate them.