PDA

View Full Version : Saddle fitters - PNW?

Blacktree
Sep. 14, 2009, 02:19 PM
I need to get my County jump saddle re-flocked. Does anyone know of someone who does this in our area? We are in the PNW, in Poulsbo (on the Kitsap Peninsula).

Also, how much does this normally cost, and how long does it typically take to get done? Thanks!

norcalammie
Sep. 14, 2009, 02:31 PM
Go to the County web site and I think their reps are listed there. Cost will depend on how much you have done. Typically an adjustment in my area is $90 which includes a travel charge. Time will depend upon how much needs to be done. Last time it took about 30 minutes for some minor tweaking but she kept putting the saddle on and checking and then doing a bit more, putting the saddle on and tweaking again to get it right.

Blacktree
Sep. 14, 2009, 02:41 PM
Wow - that isn't bad at all, that's encouraging. I'll check out their site, thanks- :)

Blacktree
Sep. 14, 2009, 03:56 PM
Ok, I've sent emails to the County Rep (Sara Odell) and to John Meriweather inquiring about what they do - is there anyone else in our area that does this, too?

Who have you guys used? Were you happy? Will they come out just for one horse, or is this generally a 'needs to be a big barn-full of people' kind of thing?

Thanks!

FAW
Sep. 14, 2009, 06:11 PM
I use Sara Odell

PNWjumper
Sep. 14, 2009, 06:20 PM
Sarah Odell is now Sarah Fredrickson, and she is our local County rep. She's also very local as a Bainbridge Island resident.

John Meriwether is also a fabulous saddle fitter and very good at it. But he will cost a lot more money if you're adjusting a County saddle. I believe Sarah has charged me around $30 (?) to reflock my saddles and a couple hundred to completely reflock the saddle with new wool (if I recall correctly).

ozjb
Sep. 15, 2009, 09:54 AM
No idea about saddle fitters, but I used to live in Poulsbo! And really miss Central Market. LOL We always make a trip there whenever we are back in the area.

Mtn trails
Sep. 15, 2009, 12:34 PM
I've used Sara Odell too. Very nice person and doesn't charge a lot.

Blacktree
Sep. 15, 2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks everyone for posting, and for your PMs! I'm encouraged that it sounds like this may not be as expensive as I had been afraid of - and I'm happy to have heard your experiences. It's a little scary to have your saddle opened up I guess... having not done this before, I have this little anxiety that it won't get done right and will fit worse, so hearing that other people have used these experts and have been happy with the results is great. :)

ozjb - yes, I LOVE central market, great place! :lol:

Calvincrowe
Sep. 15, 2009, 01:54 PM
I use Casey Hineline(? brain is cramping on last name) down here in the PDX area-- she's adjusted mine twice, $30 each time. Takes around 30-45 minutes. There are "openings" in your County saddle to tweak/re-flock already, so I don't think it is like "Open Saddle Surgery". Total reflock should be around $200, or so she told me.

Blacktree
Sep. 15, 2009, 03:51 PM
I use Casey Hineline(? brain is cramping on last name) down here in the PDX area-- she's adjusted mine twice, $30 each time. Takes around 30-45 minutes. There are "openings" in your County saddle to tweak/re-flock already, so I don't think it is like "Open Saddle Surgery". Total reflock should be around $200, or so she told me.

That's pretty neat, I didn't know that. I just found out that Casey H. will be coming up to a barn near us on the 29th (thanks PNWjumper) - so I'll haul in and have her take a look at it then. It would be great if it could be adjusted right there, too, I was dreading being w/o my saddle for a while. Now I'm excited to get it fitting right! If this works well, I think I'll start saving up for a County dressage saddle, too. It would be great to be able to just have both of my saddles looked at once a year (at the same time) to keep everything fitting just right.

ShadowDansere
Sep. 20, 2009, 01:13 PM
Don't mean to hijack, but I've got an old (and I'm talking old.. like 20-30 years) Pessoa that puts me in a really good position but doesn't really fit any horses because it is flatter than a pancake--even the knee rolls are flat now.

Since it's not a county, what are my chances of getting it completely reflocked and how expensive will it be? Who could I go to for it?

I ride on the eastside, in Kirkland. :)

showponies
Sep. 20, 2009, 05:22 PM
You might want to call Olsen Tack in Bellevue and ask for Hans' Biglajure(sp) phone number.He IS a saddle master and is in Bend,Or..My friend sent her Hermes to him on my recommendation, it needed a new seat and just a major over haul, comes back looking BRAND NEW!!!!!!

hb
Sep. 21, 2009, 12:22 AM
I had a very good experience with Marla Dehope. I think she is on the Kitsap Peninsula. If you google her name her webpage comes up and lists her e-mail. She's pretty responsive to e-mail.

If you google Hans Biglajzer you can find his address and phone number. I've sent him a couple of saddles for repair and he does beautiful work. For the flocking I prefer to have someone fit it to the horse though, rather than send it out.

PNWjumper
Sep. 21, 2009, 01:14 AM
Don't mean to hijack, but I've got an old (and I'm talking old.. like 20-30 years) Pessoa that puts me in a really good position but doesn't really fit any horses because it is flatter than a pancake--even the knee rolls are flat now.

Since it's not a county, what are my chances of getting it completely reflocked and how expensive will it be? Who could I go to for it?

I ride on the eastside, in Kirkland. :)

I would give John Meriwether a call. He's a very talented saddle fitter on your side of the water and could reflock your saddle easily for you. I talked to him about reflocking an old Courbette I have and he quoted somewhere in the $150-$200 range. I opted not to do it since I was only considering it to make it level again for a maybe-one-day-need-it-to-break-a-horse-type saddle, but it would be well worth it for a saddle you wanted to ride in.

I sent my old Clinton Northrup saddle down to Hans Biglajzer to add knee pads to and he (as others have mentioned) did an absolutely gorgeous job. I wouldn't hesitate to send anything to him in regards to actual "saddler work." But for reflocking I'd much rather have someone come to me and work on the saddle with my horse nearby for reference. John can definitely do that. I would imagine that Sarah Frederickson (the County rep for WA) could also do it, but I don't know what her schedule's like and whether she'd have room to add a non-County person in??? But she also looked at my Courbette and said that she could reflock it if I'd like.