PDA

View Full Version : Question about what to charge for braiding.

loni1949
Sep. 14, 2009, 01:10 PM
`

gottagrey
Sep. 14, 2009, 01:17 PM
a woman I know around here (Maryland) who does alot of braiding for all the rated shows charges $55 for manes; but I'm not sure what she charges for tails; probably $35. Her rates may have gone up to $65-75. However, if you are traveling from NJ to Cap. Challenge just to braid you might need to factor in hotel expenses/travel expenses but If this woman is braiding (and others are braiding) for less than that I'm not sure you'll do much business

gottagrey
Sep. 14, 2009, 01:30 PM
I can find out for you what this woman is charging.. last time I needed her to braid it was $55 but that was a few years ago. She is a great braider - I would think maybe she has gone up in prices. I'll see what I can find out for you.

hellerkm
Sep. 14, 2009, 01:31 PM
I was standing in the barn braiding my two ponies on Saturday night , my dad was working one isle over, I yelled over to him " what did they charge you to braid Derby last weekend at the Hunter futurity?" he told me $100 for mane and tail, so your boss is in the ball park but maybe a bit high, sound to me like you could raise your rates a little and still have work!
I on the other hand will keep practicing and do my own, it saves me a TON of cash LOL!!

Renn/aissance
Sep. 14, 2009, 01:41 PM
$150 for mane and tail sounds high to me, even considering the locations where you are braiding.

JinxyFish313
Sep. 14, 2009, 01:46 PM
Maybe she is saying you should charge that as the total for braiding for multiple days? My braider charges $35 for mane, $75 for mane and tail. If the horse is showing over 2 or 3 days, we pay to braid 2 or 3 times.

skyy
Sep. 14, 2009, 02:01 PM
I think $45 for a mane and $25 for a tail is what we pay around here (SE PA).

MyGiantPony
Sep. 14, 2009, 02:05 PM
I was getting $90 for a full set at indoors last year.

I'm sure some of the top braiders can get $100 or more, but your braids had better be on par with theirs to command that price!

Go Fish
Sep. 14, 2009, 03:21 PM
I'm in a very expensive area of the West coast. I'm currently paying $100 for mane and tail. Because I have two horses, she gives me a $25 discount per horse for the week. She charges $25 for a mane pull, regardless of what condition the mane is in when she starts braiding, no exception.

I've been told previously on this board that these rates are high. I don't protest because she is an incredibly good braider and I don't want to set her off. She's "moody."

MHM
Sep. 14, 2009, 03:46 PM
She charges $25 for a mane pull, regardless of what condition the mane is in when she starts braiding, no exception.

I'm confused.

Do you mean she charges for pulling the mane on every horse on every new account? (Like a signing bonus? :lol:) Or charges for a mane pull every so many weeks?

shadytrake
Sep. 14, 2009, 03:47 PM
I pay $45/mane here in Memphis and the braids are top notch. I about spilled my drink at your posted rate. I would learn to do them myself before paying that amount.

Sorry, don't mean to be snarky. That's just out of my price point.

vxf111
Sep. 14, 2009, 03:51 PM
I'm confused.

Do you mean she charges for pulling the mane on every horse on every new account? (Like a signing bonus? :lol:) Or charges for a mane pull every so many weeks?

I am guessing this means that every time she braids for you, she also pulls mane first and charges you. You have to pay it. You can't pull it yourself and have her skip pulling. The assumption is-- she's pulling, and if you happen to have it short it makes her life easier but you're still getting charged because the pulling was part and parcel of the braiding package. You cannot buy a la carte and have her just braid-- it's pull and braid, and you pay for both, or nothing at all.

Not how I've ever seen it done but not all that crazy. She must be a good braider ;) and she likes the manes a certain way. This way, she knows to allocate time for pulling and doesn't get caught by surprise when she shows up expecting to just braid and discovers she has to pull too. And it discourages people from pulling the mane ahead of time in ways that make it difficult for her to then braid it (too short, too thin, etc.).

Not a totally nutty idea. Not how I would probably handle it, but then again I am not a primo professional braider who can set parameters like this. I am sure she does a good enough job to make it worthwhile.

Hunter/JumperMom
Sep. 14, 2009, 03:53 PM
we have great professional braiders and pay 80 for mane and tail.

MHM
Sep. 14, 2009, 03:57 PM
Not a totally nutty idea.

Are you kidding? It's a fantastic idea- for her, if she can get people to pay it week after week. :lol:

That's why I had to question it- I've never heard of such a practice, and I've been in this business for a while. If she charged me for a mane pull two weeks in a row, I'd have a new braider the third week.

I also have a very low tolerance for braiders who are "moody."

MintHillFarm
Sep. 14, 2009, 04:07 PM
Wow, quite a variety of prices!

I need to share that when I was in high school and braided on weekends in Westchester County, NY (1972 - 1974) we got $7.00 a mane, but had to give the barn owner 2.00 of that! We stayed up all night, and braided at least 3 or 4 each and then groomed the next day. I think we were paid 20.00 for that (sorry to get off topic!)

Closer to this century when I showed down that way, I remember paying $35.00 for a mane and $25.00 for a tail.
This was in the late 80's and early 90's...

vxf111
Sep. 14, 2009, 04:15 PM
Are you kidding? It's a fantastic idea- for her, if she can get people to pay it week after week. :lol:

That's why I had to question it- I've never heard of such a practice, and I've been in this business for a while. If she charged me for a mane pull two weeks in a row, I'd have a new braider the third week.

I also have a very low tolerance for braiders who are "moody."

I don't show nearly that often (every week), so it doesn't seem as nutty to me. And I usually braid for myself. I hate pulling, if someone wanted to do it for me for a reasonable price-- I'd be on board with that ;) Mane pulling is my single least favorite horse chore EVER and I stink at it too!

If I had a braider who braided for me every month or couple of months, I wouldn't really blink at the "pulling included" charge. Manes grow in that length of time and I am guessing she likes it pulled "just so." That doesn't seem too crazy.

If it was every week, or multiple times a week-- yeah, I wouldn't be excited to pay that. Go Fish doesn't say how often she uses this braider. I was putting myself in her shoes and thinking the braider was called once a month or maybe twice a month max.

In the end, it's the braider's decision. If you don't like her prices/price setup-- you can use another braider. I am guessing she does beautiful work and it's well worth the price to have her do your horses.

Go Fish
Sep. 14, 2009, 04:23 PM
I'm confused.

She charges $25 per horse per show for mane pulling, even if your horse's mane is perfectly pulled and thinned before she starts. I guess she's very particular about the mane before she braids. The $25 is non-negotiable. She charges everyone, doesn't matter if it's a new or old account. She's been braiding for me for years.

MHM
Sep. 14, 2009, 04:28 PM
She charges $25 per horse per show for mane pulling, even if your horse's mane is perfectly pulled and thinned before she starts. I guess she's very particular about the mane before she braids. The $25 is non-negotiable. She charges everyone, doesn't matter if it's a new or old account. She's been braiding for me for years.

Thanks for the explanation. So if you showed two weeks in a row, you'd get charged for two mane pulls?

I would not use a braider with that pricing policy, but I'm glad you're happy with her.

Go Fish
Sep. 14, 2009, 04:35 PM
If it was every week, or multiple times a week-- yeah, I wouldn't be excited to pay that. Go Fish doesn't say how often she uses this braider. I was putting myself in her shoes and thinking the braider was called once a month or maybe twice a month max.

In the end, it's the braider's decision. If you don't like her prices/price setup-- you can use another braider. I am guessing she does beautiful work and it's well worth the price to have her do your horses.

I probably show a couple of times a month, on average. I get a bit miffed because my horses' manes are "braid worthy" before she starts. But you are right, she's the best braider around. I'm not about to raise a ruckus and have her fire me, that's for sure.

Go Fish
Sep. 14, 2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the explanation. So if you showed two weeks in a row, you'd get charged for two mane pulls?

No. But if I had a show one week, skipped a week, then showed the third week at a different show, I'd get charged.

MHM
Sep. 14, 2009, 04:44 PM
No. But if I had a show one week, skipped a week, then showed the third week at a different show, I'd get charged.

Huh. Interesting. Thanks for the clarification!

TSWJB
Sep. 14, 2009, 05:12 PM
I am braiding horses for Capital Challenge and WIHS mostly for a barn from NJ. It has been suggested to me by the owner that I should raise my rates. She is suggesting I raise my rates too about 150 for a mane and tail and 175-200 if I have to pull a mane.

I would sure be annoyed if i found out that the owner suggested raising the rates! why do the owners want to do that to their customers?????? i think those rates are outrageous!
$45 for a mane and between $25 -$35 for a tail is sufficient. i thought most braiders cover their own travel expenses unlike grooms. but if you were travelling specifically for a barn and not doing too many horses, i would think they would pay for your hotel for the convenience of having a braider.

Midge
Sep. 14, 2009, 05:16 PM
Love those crazy gals on the left coast. It's all about what the market will bear.

I am 75 for a mane and tail for regular customers, 80 for strangers. I If I am tidying up the mane for my own benefit, I don't charge. If it is unbraidable, I pull it and charge 20 bucks. If I am seeing my regular horses every couple weeks, the manes practically take care of themselves.

Go Fish, sending you a pm!

MHM
Sep. 14, 2009, 05:28 PM
Love those crazy gals on the left coast. It's all about what the market will bear.

Well put! :lol:

I think it's perfectly fine if braiders prefer to maintain the manes on the horses they braid, and charge for a mane pull when it's needed.

gottagrey
Sep. 14, 2009, 11:25 PM
the braider we use charges $50 for mane; 30 for tail;

and for the mane pulling maniac, I'm surprised any of her horses have a mane left, I mean if she's charging $20-25 to pull a mane, no exception and you show every other week - sorry but manes just do not grow that fast... I'd learn to braid myself just on principle with that one. And by the way, she can't fire you - you can fire her though

DuffyAgain
Sep. 14, 2009, 11:36 PM
I remember a couple years ago - showed at Prince George and then WIHS a couple days later. Mane was fine for my regular braider at Prince George. The braider at WIHS seemed to think it needed whatever and charged me for it. :lol: (This is a horse who pretty much NEVER gets his mane pulled. [He's got a weenie mane. :winkgrin:] I trim it every now and then.)

Lucassb
Sep. 15, 2009, 09:31 AM
We paid $50/mane and $40/tail at PHA finals at Fairfield a couple of weekends ago - I thought that was high (used to be $45/$30) especially since IMO, the braids were just "OK" - nothing particularly special. But that is the braider my trainer uses, and there is a convenience factor involved for me (ie, trainer arranges the service, and it is one less thing for me to think about.)

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Sep. 15, 2009, 12:11 PM
I think it's funny that these prices seem to average out- I charge $60/mane, $20/tail (so $80/mane & tail), and my sometimes trainer about choked when I told her what I was charging because she had a braider in Culpeper over the summer charging her $40/mane...and $35/tail... so it seems like "the whole package" runs the same rate. For what it's worth, I'm in MD.