PDA

View Full Version : Want a half-pad, preferably with some shims: recommendations? (update w/ new pic)

TheJenners
Sep. 14, 2009, 12:57 PM
My dear little pony mare is still coming back into shape and weight after a lengthy and stressful transport. She showed up about 150 pounds underweight, maybe a little more. She's also 14ish, so I know she isn't going to have the topline of a six year old.

My custom saddle is coming in this week, and I'll ride with a regular baby pad and see how the pattern is before I get anything. However, the rep said she had a "normal" back and didn't need anything special. I'm also realistic and not going to pay $4k for a saddle that will only fit a teenaged horse, so the saddle is "normal" or whatever the rep meant. She has a small hollow (SMALL) right behind the wither/shoulder and I think a shim will fix everything until she/if she gains that muscle and weight back. Right now with the Crosby I've been riding her with, there is a not-as-dirty spot on the pad in that area...but it's the same pattern it had made with every horse I've put it on, from round barreled to slap sided so I think it's the saddle perhaps needing to be reflocked or something (even though other than the first 10 rides I've been the only owner for the last four or five years...)

I've looked at the Mattes and like it. Any other brands I should consider?

I'll go ahead and try to get a picture of the saddle pad with the Crosby up, so I can compare to the new saddle.

see u at x
Sep. 14, 2009, 01:29 PM
Not sure if this will help or not, but my saddle fitter recommends either the Mattes or Thinline pads. I have the regular Mattes sheepskin pad without shims, but have just ordered the Thinline sheepskin with shims to serve as a temporary fix for a saddle that is slightly too wide for my horses.

Good luck. :)

chrissymack
Sep. 14, 2009, 01:57 PM
Thinline makes a sheepskin half pad called the Saddle Fitter with removeable inserts of different thicknesses. We use them on all our show horses for schooling. :yes:

Dramapony_misty
Sep. 14, 2009, 03:27 PM
Something like this?
http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=ER90251

It offers the benefits of a regular sheepskin half pad with the ability to adjust shims, and it seems to have more adjustment than the Thinline since that one only has 4 pockets and this has I think 10.

TheJenners
Sep. 14, 2009, 04:45 PM
Hey, thanks for the link...that looks like it might be what I want. Have you used it?

I'll check the thinline as well; I didn't realize they made correction pads.

see u at x
Sep. 14, 2009, 07:48 PM

:yes: This is the one that I ordered: http://www.thinlineinc.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=29

It's pricey but if it helps my back and the backs of my horses, then that's the most important thing. They do have less expensive ones, but I really wanted the sheepskin one for showing.

TheJenners
Sep. 14, 2009, 07:53 PM
How do you know which insert to get though? The other one posted comes with all of them, for arrangement at home I think. Or I'm reading the ad wrong.

Here (http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg280/ReplacementUsername/Pad.jpg)is the pad from our last ride (yes, she got that dusty...my hands were black after brushing BEFORE the ride).

magnolia73
Sep. 14, 2009, 08:14 PM
I have the Fleeceworks pad with shims, it is nice, but very thick. I've been thinking about getting the thinline pad, but I want to see it first.

MissIndependence
Sep. 15, 2009, 07:51 AM
Personally-I love the Mattes correction pad with shims. I have the Thinline w/ fleece but it's very thick. I love that I fit the Mattes to my different horses. I got black so it wears longer w/ a good airdry and brushing daily.

see u at x
Sep. 15, 2009, 08:58 AM
How do you know which insert to get though? The other one posted comes with all of them, for arrangement at home I think. Or I'm reading the ad wrong.

Here (http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg280/ReplacementUsername/Pad.jpg)is the pad from our last ride (yes, she got that dusty...my hands were black after brushing BEFORE the ride).

For the inserts, do you mean which thickness to get? I guess it would depend upon just how much of an adjustment you need. For myself, I may end up ordering both sets of front shims because my saddle is slightly too wide for my QH and slightly wider yet for my TB. Also, I think that the 1/4" may be the regular Thinline and the other one is the Ultra Thinline. Not 100% sure on that, but will find out when I call. I'll probably wait to order them until I see how much I like the pad in general as there is no sense in ordering the shims if I end up not liking the pad.

MissIndependence, you're so smart for getting the black one. I'll admit, though, I DO love all the colors that the Mattes pads come in! If I like my white Thinline, I'm going to figure out a way to get one in black, too. Our arena gets so dusty at times, and I can't bear to have my nice show pad getting filthy. Maybe I can persuade Santa to bring me one for Christmas. :)

Dramapony_misty
Sep. 15, 2009, 09:30 AM
Hey, thanks for the link...that looks like it might be what I want. Have you used it?

I've used a version of that same pad without all of the pockets since my horse doesn't need the extra correction, so I can only comment on quality which is really good. The fleece doesn't compress alot with time (I've had mine about a year) like I've seen some do, and I wash it about once a month to get the dirt and dust off of it. I'm sure it doesn't need it, but I hate dingy pads and it washes very well in cold water, gentle cycle with Pepede leather wash and just air dry. I usually put mine in the dryer on no-heat air fluff just to get it fluffed up again.

I was going to get the mattes half pad, but I'm glad I saved money by buying that one instead.

TheJenners
Sep. 15, 2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the all guys!

TheJenners
Sep. 21, 2009, 05:41 PM
OK, here's the saddle pad with the new saddle. I think it's better, but maybe still needs a small front shim? Whatcha think guys?

New saddle (http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg280/ReplacementUsername/Saddlepad.jpg)

Either way, it's a huge improvement. Pink appreciates it too!

mojo7777
Sep. 21, 2009, 10:05 PM
I was going to order the Thinline Trifecta with shims, but the people at Arrete emailed me to say that they prefer and recommend the Skito pad for wither hollows... I ordered it and am waiting for it to arrive. Will let anyone who is interested know how it works.