PDA

View Full Version : Survey: Quality National HJ Publications

dags
Sep. 14, 2009, 11:35 AM
Happy Monday everyone, wanted to pick your collective brains.

I have in mind a handful of magazines I believe are major players in the industry on a mostly national basis. A couple are geared to one coast or another, but play a large role on those coasts. We're planning a print campaign and we want to strictly target A Circuit competitors. Chronicle of course is on my list, also "Showbiz" the west coast rag, replacement of Show Circuit - how is it doing? "Sidelines" to grab the east coast contingent, though it has so many real estate ads - do you recommend this one? And "Plaid Horse" because I love them and it's a ton of bang for the buck.

Any others you would recommend? I tend to stay away from Equine Journal as it mixes all the disciplines together, but it has become much more impressive in its layout and they may often have a great distribution at Indoors- which is something that might sway me to try it as opposed to Sidelines. Thoughts?

findeight
Sep. 14, 2009, 11:44 AM
Check the ad rates first, then decide on some if these...because some are rags that are just laying around free....and most who pick it up are aware you get what you pay for. Alot end up blowing around the parking lot or in the trash.

What are you selling-without breaking the COTH rules, of course....Horses? or a product?

tidy rabbit
Sep. 14, 2009, 11:48 AM
Plaid Horse :)

I don't know if California still has this mag or not, but RIDE! was one you could always find in anyone's car/truck/house/tackroom. It was a good one, but not discipline specific.

Tha Ridge
Sep. 14, 2009, 12:53 PM
Check the ad rates first, then decide on some if these...because some are rags that are just laying around free....and most who pick it up are aware you get what you pay for. Alot end up blowing around the parking lot or in the trash.

What are you selling-without breaking the COTH rules, of course....Horses? or a product?

Um... you can look at the OP's signature to see what she's selling pretty easily. ;)

Sidelines really doesn't cut it for me... I very rarely pick it up anymore. I have found that ShowBiz does well, and I personally will typically read it cover-to-cover. Plus, they have the PDF copies of the mag available on their website for free, so double the exposure.

dags
Sep. 14, 2009, 12:55 PM
Will be peddling horses of course :) but ultimately it will also be more than that. It will be presence, branding and repetition.

Someone once told me that for every advertising dollar spent you can count on something like < 10% returned interest, but even that measly number is crucial. So I anticipate some magazines will end up lying around, however that doesn't mean they haven't already been flipped through by mom and dead waiting for DD currently scheduled 63 trips out.

But ultimately find8 you get at my point. We aren't ones to scrimp on advertising so ensuring my dollars are spent wisely is why I'm here. Could you tell me which ones you feel are discarded moreso than others?

Prices have been checked, Plaid Horse rules that roost and it's a relationship we've held for many years. COTH kinda goes without saying, even though ROI is probably one of the dimmest there, but the impressions made are more memorable IMO.

Want to attack this one from 3 angles- A flagship COTH ad backed by two others that will get big distribution across the country and I prefer they are distributed only at HJ events/to HJ readership. Doesn't seem to make sense to spend dollars on exposure to non HJ people when they have absolutely no use for our product.

So I guess I'm down to filling the third option, assuming COTH and Plaid . . . ShowBiz? - I'm familiar with it as I was in CA when Show Circuit prevailed and it's similar but, enjoyably, more realistic. Plus our buyer base typically comes from the coasts, not always, but it's a good advertising wager. I feel I like ShowBiz better than Sidelines, and Sidelines better than Eq. Journal . . Thoughts??

Ad will, admitedly, be a fair share of vanity. I don't find flat out "Item for Sale, call me" ads to be the way to go these days . . . so I want a publication that carries that air (Which is why though I'm familiar with RIDE! it's not really the flavor I'm going for, thanks though Tidy!)

dags
Sep. 14, 2009, 12:57 PM
Um... you can look at the OP's signature to see what she's selling pretty easily. ;)

Sidelines really doesn't cut it for me... I very rarely pick it up anymore. I have found that ShowBiz does well, and I personally will typically read it cover-to-cover. Plus, they have the PDF copies of the mag available on their website for free, so double the exposure.

Thank you Ridge, exactly what I'm looking for. Was there for Show Circuit and looking for that same feel/domination.

findeight
Sep. 14, 2009, 01:01 PM
...already been flipped through by mom and dead waiting for DD currently scheduled 63 trips out.

:lol::lol::lol::D

Nah...Dad only thinks he is DEAD sitting thru 63 trips;)

Actually almost never see men reading these, only the gals attracted by gossip and a little news.

How about concentrating on those you KNOW will be distributed at the major circuits? rather then trying to attract business in areas with few shows locally and little acess to majors without a loooong drive?

dags
Sep. 14, 2009, 01:15 PM
:lol::lol::lol::D

Nah...Dad only thinks he is DEAD sitting thru 63 trips;)

Actually almost never see men reading these, only the gals attracted by gossip and a little news.

How about concentrating on those you KNOW will be distributed at the major circuits? rather then trying to attract business in areas with few shows locally and little acess to majors without a loooong drive?

LOL, I was spoiled by my horse show dad. You're right though, he wasn't reading mags - he had his own judge's score card and was desperately trying to figure out what the heck we had just spent all our money on :)

I feel like I am concentrating on ones that are distributed on major circuits. What am I missing? None of these are dinky-dinks, though some may have more fun than others :)

Tha Ridge
Sep. 14, 2009, 01:37 PM
Oh, also, thoughts on Equine Journal - I love the magazine and it's another one that I don't hesitate to read cover to cover. However, there is definitely minimal Hunter coverage in there. I think that advertising there could be a valuable tool for Jumpers though.

What about Hunter & Sport Horse? Is it even still around? It was one that I really liked.

joiedevie99
Sep. 14, 2009, 01:42 PM
I haven't gotten an issue of Hunter and Sport Horse in a while. What about something like the USHJA magazine In Stride?

dags
Sep. 14, 2009, 02:18 PM
I think Hunter & Sport Horse folded, or is under reorganization, which is a bummer. I grew up with it when it was "Midwest" Hunter and Sport Horse, and my friend wrote for "Follow the Bouncing Hunt Cap" a few times :)

In-Stride - does it get much horse show distribution? I assume it's mailed to all USHJA members? Guilty confession . . . I'm not a member. Not much showing on my part going on these days. Do barns advertise in it?

Feel like I'm not getting many new ideas except for the same old mainstays - guess there hasn't been much growth in the print publication section of the industry in a few years, everyone's throwing development dollars at online publications it seems.

Tha Ridge
Sep. 14, 2009, 02:20 PM
Print media is not exactly thriving. I would know - I have a Journalism degree. :lol:

InStride is mailed to all USHJA members, so it's going to your target audience, but it seems that the ads are more like the type of ads that Practical Horseman gets - bigger companies selling products, etc.

sarcam02
Sep. 14, 2009, 02:53 PM
I like The Plaid Horse - Today's Equestrian (Tri-state) and a throwback from my youth - Horsemens Yankee Pedlar

sarcam02
Sep. 14, 2009, 02:54 PM
Sorry - just read the "national part".

katie16
Sep. 14, 2009, 02:55 PM
What about Practical Horseman? Maybe not for a specific horse, but rather just to get your name more out there and in people's mind. Then they can check out your website. It's not 100% H/J only, as you requested, but I only do the H/J scene and I read it every month and have for decades - literally. The only other magazine I can say that about it COTH. I have read the others mentioned, but only occassionally and never with the same diligence and interest.

touchstone-
Sep. 14, 2009, 02:56 PM
In Stride is worth considering. It's kind of a lousy magazine, and I agree that there's mostly national brand advertising in it. But it's distributed directly to the readership you're looking for--and despite all I have said above, I flip through every issue. And it's a good quality, glossy mag on nice paper. So the ad will look good.

Another regional publication to consider is the Horseman's Yankee Pedlar. It's similar to the Equine Journal in it's multi-discipline focus, but the Hunter/Jumper section is well read up in New England. There's a news and gossip column that everyone looks at and there are tons of ads for local barns, horse shows and sale horses.

Callison
Sep. 14, 2009, 03:13 PM
If you are looking to go to the A-Circuit riders then InStride hits exactly what you are looking for, all those who are members get that sent to them. Practical Horseman and COTH are also good areas to look at.

dags
Sep. 14, 2009, 03:23 PM
Many thanks everyone. This chime in on InStride was the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Isn't it weird how no barns advertise in Practical Horseman, as some sort of non-spoken trend? It's probably the most stable and proliferate mag out there. But instead we get fly spray ad after fly spray ad . . . maybe their price is such to encourage only large corporations to advertise.

This will inevitably have some congrats on sale and congrats on show success mentions, just doesn't feel right for PracHorseman. Definitely going to take a peak at InStride, it's always nice to know which ones are actually read.

Peggy
Sep. 14, 2009, 04:44 PM
Another person who reads InStride. Tho I will also read the back of a cereal box if nothing else is available:lol:. And I may not exactly be your demographic as I don't do many (any lately) A shows, tho I go to watch.

ShowBiz is handed out at many of the A shows out here. For example, they had copies out at the tables in the VIP seating at the Oaks for the Maclay regional and a stack where you checked in (and someone came around and picked up the unclaimed copies at the end, which shows someone cares about getting it distributed into the right hands). I will also read that and then take it to the barn for others to look over.

Likewise COTH gets read and then taken out to the barn.